Making a torch take different batteries!

Johnbaz

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I have a Sky Ray cree torch that I 'won' on fleabay from China, originally I was using the wrong batteries as no instructions came with it :shakehead

I thought it took 2x CR123s but they were very sloppy so I cut some card to roll into a tube and slid it in, the CR123s went in nicely with no rattling about but when I switched the torch to full output, like my Fenix T1, it went out!!

Eventually I realised I was using the wrong batteries and I think I was overloading it with the 7.4 volts of the two smaller batt's..

I bought two 18650s from Ebay and one made it work perfectly! (seemed brighter too!!)..
Anyhow, an Ultrafire 2x 18650 came my way so I borrowed the batteries for it which left me no batteries for the Sky Ray!

I then remembered that I had (mistakenly!) previously bought two 18500s and it suddenly hit me that I only needed a shielded spacer to be able to use one of these so I found a bit of copper bar in my garage (from a 600amp industrial plug prong!) and turned it down to 17mm then wrapped electrical tape around it!

It fitted perfectly and is currently working fine!!

Copperspacerfor185002_zps42e7b97e.jpg

I made it to around 15mm in length so that it was near the length of the 18650 and put a nipple on it as the 18500s don't have them on the +ve end..

Copperspacerfor18500_zpsca3cbaf4.jpg

I had thought of turning a bit of wooden dowel to 18mm then centre drilling it to a 1/4" as I have some 1/4" brass rod the glue it in with epoxy but the mk1 seems to work fine..

BTW, I have some more 18650s inbound so the mod won't be needed when they arrive!!

It kept me occupied for 30 mins :thumbsup:

Cheers, John :wave:

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Hey, great old school mod! I always like seeing someone hop up their lights with upgraded emitters or higher capacity batteries.

Good job!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Hey, great old school mod! I always like seeing someone hop up their lights with upgraded emitters or higher capacity batteries.

Good job!
This actually a lower capacity mod so the OP can make use of his 18500s.

Norm

Latest posts