Mako 1xAAA: the most important flashlight i've ever owned

yliu

Enlightened
Most of the time I have a more powerful 2xAA flashlight with me, but my LedLenser P3 on my keychain that I always carry is being used most of the time, I will probably get a Fenix LD01 or E01 for the smaller size. Except for trips, hikes, I never had the situation in a when I needed a brighter light than the P3's 15 lumens in a normal day.

Few months earlier there was a power outage at around 9pm it was complete dark, ironically, I put all my flashlight and my keychain on the 1st floor, and I was on the 2nd floor... So I had to made my way downstairs in complete dark. Since then, I bought a bunch of Energizer LED flashlight and put it in every corner of my house.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I'd be in for a 60 degree Mako. I still have my original and it is a unique light that gets some nightstand time at my house. I like the two low settings. For navigating around my house and property at night, it's plenty bright for my typical uses.

I'd love for him to give another go at the Zephyr. That looked like a cool light and I even ponied up for a pre-pay, but there just wasn't enough interest for him to go ahead with the build. The timing was bad (economy in a free fall) and I don't recall how much time he allowed for the pre-pay before he terminated the project. It's unfortunate that it never came to fruition, but it happens. I'd be in (again) for a Zephyr to go along with a new 60 deg Mako.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I would also like to have a light like this but I couldn't afford something at that price, especially for a backup light so now i've settled for the Fenix E01 for my ultimate backup light. EDC 4 lights everyday and I doubt I will end up using the E01. Same setup goest when Mt Hiking or climbing. The E01 as my most reliable light is reserved for the ultimate emergency.
Mako 1xAAA is a must have if you could afford one.

scout24

Flashaholic
Coyote- You got my one and only 60deg... Sorry if I led you to believe I had two. My only other is the warm 15deg. with the steelwooled emitter. These are great little lights, and another small run would probably go quickly. It strikes me as one of those lights that one either gets or doesn't. It needs some in-hand time actually being used in the DARK to appreciate that the output on low is completely adequate, and high just gives that little bit more punch. I'll tempt some flame here, and absolutely no disrespect to anyone intended, but the Killer and Sapphire both came out around the same time, and I feel not everyone appreciated the lower output for a similar price, despite the design differences and the two levels of the Mako. I've owned all three, and they are all so well made it's not funny, but the two stage Mako finally kicked my last Sapphire off my keys a few months ago.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be in for a 60 degree Mako. ....
I'd love for him to give another go at the Zephyr. ....
That might be interesting! I think that was the light I was actually thinking of that just seemed to appear when there were too many forces against it. It might make more sense for him to produce this light at this time as I think the low mode was expected to match the runtime of the Mako according to early documentation. Although the Mako now has some long term experience behind it so it might be the safer bet. In general day-to-day usage I would only need my keychain light to have 1 output level, but I have found the multiple levels on the LD01-SS to be quite useful. I think 2 or 3 levels can be very useful on an emergency light, even though it does seem to complicate things and possibly affect reliability. If your main light craps out outdoors sometimes the higher output level on keychain lights is really useful, in some cases I think it could be essential. I like to use even my backup keychain light so I know it is in good working order all the time, I carry an extra AAA cell for real emergencies.

Is it time for an official poll, or maybe coyote needs to contact Muyshondt to see if there is a real possibility. I do think more people now can appreciate a good quality, reliable keychain light, but the price point is still a sensitive issue.

carrot

Flashaholic
I know there are FIVE, yes, FIVE Mako 60º*out there in the world. I am aware of two of them here in NY, one in my friend's possession and one in my own. Coyote has another... where are the other two???

choombak

Enlightened
with genuine interest and absolutely no intention of starting an argument, can I ask what weaknesses in the design or construction of the Peak Eiger would make it less reliable than the Mako (single mode notwithstanding)?

Both lights are in a league of their own, and close in reliability. I have both, and find these differences:
* all peak lights are difficult to twist by one hand - okay, using one for a long time does loosen up the threads, but even then the twist action is not smooth. only brass is smoother, but heavy.
* peak ti light (eiger, I believe) has a smooth body and is not available in knurled versions
* knurling on all eigers (HAIII) is not aggressive, SS version is better, but then heavier.

I find none of these drawbacks (well, for a backup light in emergency) with Mako - light weight, smooth threads, and reasonable grip makes it an ideal candidate.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
scout24 said:
...Coyote- You got my one and only 60deg... Sorry if I led you to believe I had two....

oh my, now i do feel a bit guilty. your one and only? damn. thank you. that was extremely kind of you scout24. i feel very privileged being its new caretaker.

and your other comments were nicely stated. you're 100% correct with your assessment that with lights like the Mako "one either gets or doesn't" and that the Mako's extra low out-puts (lower even than the Sapphire and Killer) is perfect for true darkness. after my extensive testing of those three titanium models in particular, i chose the Mako and eventually sold the others.

carrrot said:
...I know there are FIVE, yes, FIVE Mako 60º*out there in the world. I am aware of two of them here in NY, one in my friend's possession and one in my own. Coyote has another... where are the other two???

"calling two missing Mako 60 owners, please step forward!"

choombak said:
...I find none of these drawbacks (well, for a backup light in emergency) with Mako - light weight, smooth threads, and reasonable grip makes it an ideal candidate.

thanks for handling notrefined's question. i never owned a Peak so couldn't compare the two.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Carrot- Three down, two to go... :) I'd be curious to know how many warm tint ones were released as well. Coyote- Enjoy! If I didn't like the warm so much, I wouldn't have sold the 60deg...

HKJ

Flashaholic
I know there are FIVE, yes, FIVE Mako 60º*out there in the world. I am aware of two of them here in NY, one in my friend's possession and one in my own. Coyote has another... where are the other two???

I try to keep one of them in decent company:
DSC_7699.jpg

"calling two missing Mako 60 owners, please step forward!"

I do not believe that I am missing, I have mentioned it before that I own one of the 60º Makos. I did miss the regular sale of the Mako, but got the last one when Enrique cleaned out the remaining stock.

carrot

Flashaholic
I try to keep one of them in decent company:
DSC_7699.jpg

I do not believe that I am missing, I have mentioned it before that I own one of the 60º Makos. I did miss the regular sale of the Mako, but got the last one when Enrique cleaned out the remaining stock.

Ahh, HKJ, I believe that this makes you the owner of one of the finest collection of AAA lights then!

jemab

Enlightened
I also had a mako and foolishly sold it... I would be in for a 60degree if they are made...

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also had a mako and foolishly sold it... I would be in for a 60degree if they are made...

I had a beautiful custom anodized mako for a little while. I bought it for my wife and when she didn't like it I sold it. I do still miss it. I believe it was a warm version too.

SAM_0174.jpg

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
The finest designed AAA light, ever built. Period. I'm always looking for more, as my WTB posts, tell the tail. Tail stand. Trit slot. Two Stage, work of art. But: I really would want to see a High CRI version for the $150 price point. And I'm not waiting 6 months for these, I'd want them soon or sooner.

I'm interested

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Peak would be in the same category as the Mako, especially at a 4 power or under. Still even at that level I don't think the run times are even close.

they're not. I was convinced it would be one of the longest runtimes when I was talking to Curt before having them make me a Eiger 0 level and a SUB zero level light. Oddly enough the SUB zero didn't have significant more runtime than the regular 0, and the 0 was noticeably brighter for the duration of the runtime test I conducted, so there was no upside or advantage buying the SUB zero as I didn't obtain extra runtime which was the purpose of my ordering that one. Even more disappointing was to note that a way older Matterhorn with a standard power LED fared better than either Eiger. I was hoping Curt understood I was looking for the longest runtime light but maybe that's the best they can do?

Last edited: