Mako 1xAAA: the most important flashlight i've ever owned

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photobucket during sign up: "Congrats, youre human :)"
-Well ty photobucket.. i'll try to make the most of it.. lol :)

1_zps6e2875dd.jpg

Mako from the front, the camera lense is almost invisible.

2_zpsbb6842ff.jpg

From the side.

3_zpsf3247fba.jpg

"Mako Throw" low mode vs dqg ti low mode.

4_zps069997c1.jpg
"Mako throw" high mode vs dqg ti lo mode.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canon powershot A490.
I used it on one fishing trip. The pics were awful from that camera..
Nice ar coated asperic glass lense inside :)
With 2 lenses in a row, i can focus it perfeclty for full throw. Not so useful beam, or pretty looking, or impressive. so im sticking with the one lense and ~50% focus.

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to post a brief heads up here that a Mako Mk. II with options for a 21 lumen high mode and a UV version is in the works. The light has also had its styling refined and been made slightly shorter. I'll be posting a thread in the custom BST about it the next couple of days once the new site is fully tested.

I have spent a large amount of time over the last few months completely rebuilding the website to allow for a better purchasing experience and far easier and more frequent communication than what was previously possible. Everything seems solid with it, but I could use a handful of testers to scour the site for bugs to make sure I haven't missed anything - please e-mail me at [email protected] if you're interested. Testers also will get access to the lower serial numbers on the next Mako should they choose to make a purchase.

Thanks folks!

Enrique

(Also, jorn - very nice work! :thumbsup: )

Esko

Enlightened
Interesting news Enrique! :) 21 lumens sounds like you are going to use a power led in new Mako. Right? The newest 30mA versions also sold out faster than the 60 mA versions and a few of the overdriven ones have since hit the second hand market, so, overdriving the led was obviously not what people wanted, even though some people did request it.

Looking forward to the new Mako.

(P.S. Keep the low low. ;) )

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Esko: Higher power LEDs, yes, but not a power LED proper. This batch of lights has no overdrive, and the low mode should be similar to what it was before. I'm very happy with the new LEDs, both in terms of output level and color, and think it's a pretty worthy upgrade from the previous models. I've also been having some decent fun lighting things up in UV, you can find interesting things (scorpions, for one) at night with.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
Hmm

I am excited by the news but I am wondering if the higher output is veering off the tracks too far? What I mean is the original purpose of the Mako was a long running super reliable EDC light. even though there was 2 modes the high was still only about 4-5 lumens? Pushing the led harder like on the 6/60 version was something done reluctantly to accommodate the requests .

Maybe this version shouldn't have the Mako name but be something different since it seems this new version is fulfilling a different role? Brighter but shorter runtimes.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
The site tests have gone well, and I expect to be opening the website and posting a thread about the new light tomorrow. Thanks to the few of you who have helped me put the site through its paces! :)

Britelite2: There's no reason for a nomenclature shift. The Mako Mk. II shares critical design features and heritage with the Mako Mk. I. It's still a long running utility torch, still has two brightness levels, is designed for longevity, has the same runtime on low, etc. If you want to maximize runtime and don't want higher output, the Regular Output version will still be available, but I suspect most people will gain greater utility from the HO version, which I've been very pleased with in general performance characteristics.

Thanks folks,

Enrique

Esko

Enlightened
Interesting news and interesting new leds. I am not sure how the leds could handle so much more current/power and hence heat though. From 30mA up to 70mA? Something can be achieved through better lumen efficiency but with current efficiencies of 30% or so, it is a minor increase. The led doesn't look like it has more heat transferring capacity than the older ones and the size is the same, too.

Anyway, it surely looks like a good update and with serial numbers and different models and all, it also looks like there will be a relatively big batch of new Makos. I was also thinking about signing up as a website test rat but it looks like there is no need any more. Looking forward to the announcement.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted a thread related to the Mako Mk. IIs here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?386372-Mako-Mk-II-Run
The website is open here: http://www.muyshondt.net/
(The Mako page is located here specifically - http://store.muyshondt.net/product/mako-mk-ii/ )

Esko: There are a variety of ways to deal with stress on electronics. Heatsinking is one of them, but you can also work to ruggedize parts to be able to withstand higher power without phosphor degradation. I don't plan to state which LEDs I'm using in the HO model, but they have been designed specifically for higher output and I'm driving them substantially below spec.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread during the duration of the project, but for anything related directly to the project it may be best to continue the discussion in that thread proper.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mako MKII has arrived!

Mako-MKII_zpsfa611f2b.jpg

Mako MKII Run

quick review of the Mako MKII HO (fifty HO, UV and 6/30 units in the run):

EXACTLY what i had hoped for. as good as it gets. 5 out of 5 stars.

beam is very very smooth and neutral (warmer than my original 60-degree and cooler than my Flood).

i ordered the HO (high output) which puts out just the right amount of light for me on both low and high.

whole unit is slightly shorter than eariler models (sweet).

new rounded head spacing is nice to touch yet grippy enough, without the sharp edges of eariler models.

polished area behind the head gives it a nice visual contrast.

bead blast finish is flawless.

once low comes on, it takes 3/4 of a turn to get to high, so will never come on by accident (causing eye shock).

i have a new replacement for the most important flashlight i've ever owned!!!!!

thank you enrique!

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fall 2014 news:

a small run of a new version using a single AA battery is in the works. it will be called the Spinner

enrique describes it this way:

"...I've also started work on and will be putting up for pre-order this week a new light called the Spinner. It's essentially a AA version of the Mako, with similar design and named after the Spinner Shark, in keeping with the shark-based naming of the Mako.

The benefits from a AA include longer runtimes, and the ability to drive the light a bit harder than using the AAA as a power plant. This means that with a lithium or eneloop cell in the light, you can toss it in a bag, along with a spare cell, and you'll have days and days of light. If you need more output, the high mode allows you a small brightness edge over the AAA while still providing decent runtime as well. As with the Mako, it will be made from 6AL4V titanium, feature two stages, and nice, white, high output 5mm LEDs. This will be a fairly limited run based on the number of pre-orders placed, with few extra pieces being made. Cost will be $225."

___

(note: i also just posted the above info in the first post on this thread, plus i've gotten on the waiting list for one. it will be great to have a Mako that runs on the "most prolific battery on earth" in my survival kit)

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
How waterproof is the MKII? Could it safely go for a swim, say like a sapphire?

to answer your question, let me quote enrique from another thread:

"There is no specific waterproof rating. It's not really worth the hassle, effort, or cost to do a formal test for small batch runs like this with a certification agency. The light is listed as water resistant. I've taken all of my lights down to about 30 feet of salt water before, I've frozen them in ice, they've gone through washers and dryers, been in rain, snow, ponds. They've been repeatedly abused and subjected to things that the average person will never put a light through, and remained water tight.

What does this mean? These aren't dive lights, there is no specific test these are "certified" to, and I don't really advocate that you abuse the light, but in any sort of use I can imagine, I suspect you're going to be just fine so far as water resistance is concerned. I've been making flashlights since 2006, the Mako has existed in some form or another since 2008, and no one has ever reported a water breach to me on any model."