Malaysian Ghost Plane

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
.......... You need to remember that we are talking about an incident 2 weeks ago.................................

I have a feeling that they may never find the wreckage.

+1 .... or an airplane hidden under a tarp in some remote airfield.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
What baffles me is how we can spot small object extremely far out in space using ground and/or geosynchronous telescopes with AMAZING accuracy.... but turn those telescope back to OUR planet and you can't give us better coordinates as to the location of this floating debris??? I would expect they should be able to say "go look here" and provide a 1/4mi search area.

Optics! Read here XKCD: What-If on Hubble for a discussion of "What if we pointed Hubble at the Earth?" Hubble is certainly not designed to look at the Earth. I don't know what today's camera satellites are capable of.

Most 'spy sats' are in orbits chosen for frequent coverage (Low orbits) or station-keeping (High, geosynchronous). Photography from satellites is difficult, but not impossible. Target acquisition, though, is. They'd be looking for small shiny objects in a large, shiny ocean. Most cameras (IR, visible, etc) would only work in daylight. Radar probably doesn't have the range to reach from orbit (Without toasting nearby objects).

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
Optics! Read here XKCD: What-If on Hubble for a discussion of "What if we pointed Hubble at the Earth?" Hubble is certainly not designed to look at the Earth. I don't know what today's camera satellites are capable of.

Most 'spy sats' are in orbits chosen for frequent coverage (Low orbits) or station-keeping (High, geosynchronous). Photography from satellites is difficult, but not impossible. Target acquisition, though, is. They'd be looking for small shiny objects in a large, shiny ocean. Most cameras (IR, visible, etc) would only work in daylight. Radar probably doesn't have the range to reach from orbit (Without toasting nearby objects).

Great read, but...

I was really just speaking from a technology standpoint as the human race in general and how far we have come... We can map (from satellite) homes and small areas with GREAT detail.. Forget hubble or radar .... just using that already posted satellite image, why the uncertainty abouts its contents. Even with tidal drift and rotation of the earth, there should be NO NEED for it to take DAYS to get over to that exact spot and look. Just seems ridiculous that picture was posted without a SOLID confirmation or rejection of its contents within say 12hrs.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Prime Minister Najib said: "With deep sadness and regret, according to this new data, we must conclude flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean."

Very unfortunate. Though not surprising. The only silver lining is that this bit of latest news won't be a total surprise for the families.

Family and friends, not knowing anything for two weeks,, holding on to a waning sliver of hope,,, :candle:

Damn that's rough! Hard to imagine.......

Make sure your people know you love them. :grouphug:

~ Chance

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prime Minister Najib said: "With deep sadness and regret, according to this new data, we must conclude flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean."

That's hard to swallow without any physical evidence, but at this point it's the most likely conclusion.

The question now is "why"? Was it a hijacking gone bad?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple websites have recently had interviews with pilots who stated that the most probable cause that fits the evidence is fire.

Some number of posts back StarHalo postulated a scenario of events and cited source - also pointing to a fire.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
HuffPo update:

Inmarsat, the company whose analysis undergirds today's announcement on flight MH370, explained to SkyNews how it was able to locate the flightpath of the missing plane.

As the company had already announced earlier, its satellites kept receiving hourly signals from the plane despite the fact that the jet's communication systems were switched off. Inmarsat then analyzed data from flights that took a similar path to MH370.

Inmarsat's senior vice president Chris McLoughlin said:

"What we did two weeks ago was say it could be north or it could be south, and what we've done is refined that with the signals we got from other aircraft and that gives you a very good fit."
"Previous aircraft provided a pattern, and that pattern to the south is virtually what we got in our suggested estimate. The fit is very, very strong."
"We passed the information on after it had been peer reviewed by others in the UK air industry and after it had been compared with Boeing."

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Re: Flight MH370 - 200kg of lithium-ion batteries on board.

I wouldn't care if there was a ban on shipping them by air. They can just go by ship, rail, and truck instead.

What I don't understand is since the batteries were probably made in China why are they shipping 200kg back to China?

Leadsender

Newly Enlightened

I wouldn't care if there was a ban on shipping them by air. They can just go by ship, rail, and truck instead.

What I don't understand is since the batteries were probably made in China why are they shipping 200kg back to China?

If they banned them in airplanes, wouldn't that mean that civilians wouldn't be able to carry them on board anymore. For me personally that would be a horrible outcome as a majority of lights are powered with these batteries and I fly quite often.

magellan

Honorary Aussie

Presumably that would be the case.

Some countries already have bans on shipping them by air and on passengers having them from what I understand.

The way I handle the issue is that I leave my lithium powered batteries at home and just use my AA powered lights when I fly. But I bring the lithium flashlights with me, minus the batteries. Since most of my flying is between our house and a vacation house a few times a year, and both are in the U.S., I just keep a few lithiums at the vacation house and put them back in the flashlight when I arrive.

I realize my situation has a simple solution which might not work for most people. But there was a detailed post here by Newbie that showed there is about a 1 in 1600 chance of a battery incident. That might not seem like terrible odds but just think of how you'd feel if it was plastered all over the news that it was your flashlight and battery that caused a serious incident on board an airliner.

Not for me. I'm easily discouraged and will manage just fine with my AA light until I get where I'm going.

Being on board a plane is different. Unlike a car, you can't roll down the window and toss the offending device out into some field. Or stop and park the car and run like hell if the battery has already vented. Kinda hard to do at 30,000 feet.

Last edited:

Frijid

Enlightened

apparently CNN is now saying they have "closure" and are sure the plane went down in the ocean. I for one don't believe it. I'm not from the state of missouri, but i still have a "shoe me" attitude, and until i can see come concrete evidence, i'm calling Bologna Sandwhich. I believe they are just getting "tired" of searching and are just pushing this as a quick way to just get it outta everyone mind. More or less so people will be like "oh everyone on the plane died, hey what football game is on tonight?"
[h=1][/h]

nbp

Flashaholic
I sort of agree Frijid. Without actually finding the plane or any significant part of it, how are they any more sure now than two weeks ago? If they can just make that claim, why not do that a day or two after it disappeared? While it *probably* is in the ocean, it seems suspect to state as fact without conclusive evidence. Idk...

Also, perhaps the mods could put this thread back in the Cafe? It's really more of a current event thread than an exploding battery thread. I don't really feel it fits here. Thanks.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Just incredible!!!
Nations all over the world don't know what brought down this plane

..but CandlePowerForum does _______:shakehead:shakehead

100% speculation & assumption

Last edited: