Malkoff for Mechanic/Vehicle Maintenance

md17

Newly Enlightened
After getting my first Malkoff a few weeks ago, it's become apparent I need more.

What is a suggested set up for mechanical work on vehicles that will require long on times and moderate output?

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast

2xAA body running two 3.7v 14500s will also provide long runtimes. The higher the voltage the less mah draw on these new heads

IMG_9950.jpeg

md17

Newly Enlightened

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wonder how these are for protected 14500. After my recent battery length issue with the 18500 I want to make sure I get it right the first time.
Those are fairly long and may cause issues with spring and switch

I would get Vapcell F12. That's what I run. Don't worry about LVP. Once voltage is low enough the light won't work

When output levels are all the same. Just change or recharge batteries. Vapcell F12 are INR and are much safer than IMR or ICR

Last edited:

md17

Newly Enlightened
When i work on cars or anything else, I use a headlamp, can't really do much work with one hand, while the other is holding a light.
I have a streamlight protac headlamp I use occasionally, but I do find a handheld useful for a lot of the work I do. And malkoff doesn't make head lamps yet, unfortunately.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a streamlight protac headlamp I use occasionally, but I do find a handheld useful for a lot of the work I do. And malkoff doesn't make head lamps yet, unfortunately.
He's got a headlamp strap for MDC lights

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the MDC 2AA for this one.
- Shirt pocket when not in use.
- SST for a nice narrow hot spot for peering into the abyss of modern engine bay spaces.
- Some eneloop pro's would be a good fit.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
On average SST-20 needs 2.71 volts for the LED to light up. I wonder what the runtime is on two eneloops before the voltage drops below 2.71.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite sure but,

I did a runtime test with a CR123 and a SST20 3.4-6v MDC head on high and got around 3 hours, yes I said that right.. 3 hours. Didn't have time to test it further so I had to stop

Obviously wasn't the max output as with a 3.7v 16340 but I'd say an estimate of 100-150 lumens with CR123