malkoff Hound dog vs Armytek predator for throw?

mickb

Enlightened
Hi gents, I currently use an Armytek predator, non pro, about 2014/2015 era with the XP-G2 LED(I think...). It is quite a good little thrower whatever it is.

I'd like to upgrade to malkoff hounddog running 2 x 18650 and wondered apart from its much greater output how would it throw compared to the predator? The added spill would be nice but if the predator is still spotting thing further, it won't be worth upgrading.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Another random question is a guess on how far green and red light filters will throw a beam from the armytek predator. Will these only get it to map reading or walking around the camp site llevel, or is there enough colored light filtering through to actually spot with. Say human figures to 40 yards?

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about the Hounddog, but I do know the red/green filter on the Predator won't cut throw that much. Standard it has 400m throw, with a filter that will be reduced, but should still reach at least 100m, very conservative estimate. So don't worry about that.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't have the HD but do own that exact Predator non pro XP-G2. It's a really good thrower for the size and would be surprised if a light of similar size could actually out throw it. That said I would trust Malkoff more.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to a review I found here for the XP-G2 Predator Pro, it delivers 33,700 cd thanks to a smooth reflector, relatively small emitter and 5 degree spot. Does the Pro out throw the non-Pro?

The Cool Hound Dog 18650, with its larger XM-L2 emitter and LOP reflector delivers approximately 29,000 cd.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
Excellent thanks woods walker and grizzman! I am not a flashaholic but am surprised the predators specs are not more popular. Not so much the light itself or the quality( which may be dubious) but its combination of throw and still usable spill. Strange this is not duplicated more often, I find it a great spotlight for hunting and security work. Then again I am not a flashaholic and have not used a large range of lights so I may be missing something.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
According to a review I found here for the XP-G2 Predator Pro, it delivers 33,700 cd thanks to a smooth reflector, relatively small emitter and 5 degree spot. Does the Pro out throw the non-Pro?

The Cool Hound Dog 18650, with its larger XM-L2 emitter and LOP reflector delivers approximately 29,000 cd.

Yes the pro puts out around 50k lux utilizing an xpl-hi emitter

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That may be the case with a current production unit, but the review I read was from around 2013, and was an XP-G2. It only took me a few seconds to find it.

mickb

Enlightened
gents if malkoff says his hound dog super is 75000lux and 7 degree optic what's the conversion to Cd ? Does this stomp the armytek predator with its 33000cd for range or is it likely just floodier?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Predator and Hound dog both too and the Predator is a really handy size but every time I try to use it after not using it for a while I have to remember how odd the UI can be?
There is a strange delay when pressing the switch before light ramps up from the light and it can be unnerving to me.

The Malkoff just turns right on every time!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure that the number of lux at 1 meter is, by (very basic) definition, candela. The 75,000 lux at 1 meter of the Hound Dog Super is 75,000 cd.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks for the info Grizzman. Another obscure question is whether any of the other manufacturers colored light filters would fit on a houndog? I am thinking its too big for the 40mm filters by olight for example. Possibly a deal killer, unless possible to rig something up homemade....