Malkoff MDC: haven't bought it because primaries only

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I've had the MDC in my cart so many times, but every time I can't press but because it can't run on 16340's. Seems like such a crazy miss on this light. I make myself feel better by reminding myself it's only 250 lumens...

Man is it a good looking light though.

I'd imagine you could order this head with this or this body. Or email Gene to reconfigure this light (if you prefer neutral tint) with a different body if the stock configuration doesn't suit your needs? Both can support one rechargeable Li-ion (or two CR123 primaries) and Gene usually can mix and match for you if you send an email. Cathy will send you an invoice for your specific configuration that might not be listed on the website.

lewong

Newly Enlightened
What about the Malkoff MDC Bodyguard Flashlight?

"Summary of Output:

CR123 (3 volts) ------ 600 lumens Momentary, 400 lumens 8 sec., 175 lumens

IMR 16340 ------ 800 lumens Momentary, 700 lumens 8 sec., 200 lumens
"

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I'd imagine you could order this head with this or this body. Or email Gene to reconfigure this light (if you prefer neutral tint) with a different body if the stock configuration doesn't suit your needs? Both can support one rechargeable Li-ion (or two CR123 primaries) and Gene usually can mix and match for you if you send an email. Cathy will send you an invoice for your specific configuration that might not be listed on the website.

I thought about doing this but then you're committed to Li-ion. It's not too much to expect an LED flashlight in 2022 to take both.

RayMiller

Newly Enlightened
I have a Neutral MDC HA LMH. The voltage range is 3.4-6 if I remember correctly. I run it on Keeppower 16340s. The listing says it is around 340 lumens on high and it has a hi CRI Luminous SST-20 4000k emitter. I'm at work now but I'll post a link to Gene's website when I get off (if I can remember). I might also be willing to part with it if your interested...

Mappo

Newly Enlightened
I use a 3.4-6v MDC. I can verify it works with both primaries and 16340's. I cant confirm about runtime as the primaries drain down to the rated low voltage, but in a pinch they definitely work 🤙🏻

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about doing this but then you're committed to Li-ion. It's not too much to expect an LED flashlight in 2022 to take both.

Malkoff isn't using dated drivers in 2022.... Malkoff wants absolute reliability.
The only custom maker I know offering a driver that both boosts and limits the voltage is HDS.
Most custom makers require a 3.7 Li-Ion. If you've held an HDS you'll notice it's a really long light for its battery size. That is because to truly do a reliable duel-fuel light you need the room for all the gadgetry.

The chinese imports claim to have "duel-fuel" capabilities, but they won't last a lifetime like Malkoff and they won't hold up as a WML.
99.99% of the chinese imports aren't really duel-fuel like they claim....that's why they get super hot when you use a Li-Ion. They still send 4.7v to the 3v LED and eventually it fries then you buy another one.

But me and @bykfixer gave you the solution you were after.... a 3v rechargeable 16340.

Last edited: