Malkoff questions

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
After MUCH research I'mm 99% sure that my next light WILL be a Malkoff MD2.........

The big trouble I'm having is the decision of going "turnkey" or DIY...

The "turnkey" comes with the standard head and the standard M61 dropin

IF I go DIY I'm planning on buying the tailswitch and body with the MDX22.3-M61HOT "throw head".......

EITHER way I go it will have the "2-speed" hi/lo switch

As far as usage goes ,I'm a truck driver and I need "low light " to look at paperwork,maps (I'm old and actually know how to use one) "kicking tires" in the dark.etc..........

I need high for emergencies but MOSTLY searching in yards for trailer numbers etc from 25+ YARDS.. 75 feet or maybe a bit further.. away at night and other "general usage"

As you can imagine "throw" would be nice for trailer searching but I also need some flood for "general usage"

I'd like to buy ONE "great " light as opposed to several "mediocre" lights (hence why I'm looking at Malkoffs)

is there enough spill from the "throw"head for it to be usefull? enough throw from the "standard " head to be useful?
good balance of both from either?

Any of you guys have both to compare?

Any "side by side" beamshots at various distances I can look at?

Also.........flat top 18650 work well? I have 10 or 12 samsung 25R already and I'd really like to stay with flats if at all possible..........I know theyre "unprotected" but I'm familiar with 18650 safety and have a xtar VP4 charger (actually I've got 2 of them,one for home and one in the truck)

Thanks in advance
Scott

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the throw head might be too throw dedicated for the work you describe. If you want to read maps on low, a regular M61 will be much nicer. If you're looking for trailer numbers at 25ft or a little more, the regular M61 will have no problem lighting that up. My real worry is that you'd have one spot on your maps and not enough spill.

Also, I would suggest an M61N for better tint and color rendering than the cool white M61. I would avoid the M61 219 variants as they seemingly have a lot less throw than the regular M61's. You can email Gene and ask if you can get an M61N swapped into the turnkey also.

Enjoy!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with mckeand. Just last night I was looking for fallen tree limbs with my MD2, with M61W, at a distance of up to 40 plus yards. It did really well at the task.

I've got an M61HOT also, and it leans very heavily towards the thrower use, with what I'd call usable, but hardly ideal spill. I've removed it from my rifle multiple times for tests, but it always ends up back there. For a general purpose light, the MD2 with M61N is damn hard to beat.

sgt253

Enlightened
I agree with mckeand. Just last night I was looking for fallen tree limbs with my MD2, with M61W, at a distance of up to 40 plus yards. It did really well at the task.

I've got an M61HOT also, and it leans very heavily towards the thrower use, with what I'd call usable, but hardly ideal spill. I've removed it from my rifle multiple times for tests, but it always ends up back there. For a general purpose light, the MD2 with M61N is damn hard to beat.

+1

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you call and talk to Jean or his Wife they will build a Turnkey MD2 any way you want it and still save you some money.

Amazing people!

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
Edit to my original post... Trailer searching is at 25 YARDS... 75 foot... Several yards I go to have trailers on each side and it's easiest to cruise down the middle looking at each side... Sorry about that...

Flat top cells?

I wish they had the high output drop in available in the same voltage range as the one in the throw head..
I want to keep the overall length UNDER 6 inches so I can pocket carry when I'm out of the truck...

Yup, I figured that about calling but I don't want to until I'm ready to buy... I'm still waiting on the extra coin I plan to finance this with..

Thanks again... Scott

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flat top cells are fine, due to the drop-in's spring contact.

The cool M61 SHO drop-ins only bump the output up to 400 lumens from 325, so there's little usable difference between standard and SHO.

The 25 yard specification doesn't change my answer.

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
Actually, yeah, I looked at the specs again and you're right... I likely had it confused with some of the bigger heads I was drooling over..
I appreciate the flattop info... I thought so but I wanted to be positive...

Hopefully there'll still be "turnkey" ones in stock when I get the funds...

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hound Dog 18650 is probably more throw than you'll need, but might be in the mix, too.

By the way, if they have the parts, it's worth a call to them, even if what you want is not specifically listed as a "turnkey" option....

Last edited:

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
Hound Dog 18650 is probably more throw than you'll need, but might be in the mix, too.

I looked HARD at the HD 18650 but I don't think it'd be very "pocketable" for when I'm out of the truck..

Isn't the head on that 1.8" or so?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The MD2 hi/lo turnkey.
It's a great flashlight.

^^ the 14 lumen low setting.
Great for map reading, low light needs or max runtime.

^^ the 320 lumen high.
The car is about 75' away. Side by side sheds about 100...in the distance a clothsline pole about 150 and a shed about 200.

The beauty of a Malkoff with the 'regular' M61 is the dynamic spot that seemlessly blends into spill that unlike most lights does not just abruptly end at the edges but fades away. Actually all his M61's are that way but the regular just has that little extra kick in brightness.

His neutral is a great great one and if you want old school his warm looks just like the real McCoy incadecent bulb.

I've read where others asked Gene to swap out the regular drop in for neutral or warm and he does for like $5.

Hope ^^ this above helps.

I still use maps too. If I get lost it's my fault.
Too many times those navigators have said go left at places I know dam well I make a right.

In the meantime a little Streamlight Microstream at about $20 (or less) will disappear into your pants pockets and provide right much of your lighting needs. That is by far my most used flashlight.

Last edited:

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
Man, I appreciate those pictures...
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have him drop the "N" version in the turnkey md2 when I order..
I promised the war/financial advisor (wife) that I wouldn't buy a new light until I get my income tax return so I'm still waiting on my favorite uncle to cut me a check..

I have a couple small lights for maps and such as well as some bigger ones for trailer spotting but combining the 2 functions is a great excuse to get the wife to let me buy yet another light and I wanted something "great" this time around....

I've seen that as well with GPS units.... I'll use it but also figure out my own route instead of relying ONLY on the gizmo..
It can be a good tool but you can't rely solely on it and not know how to do anything else

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Man, I appreciate those pictures...
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have him drop the "N" version in the turnkey md2 when I order..
I promised the war/financial advisor (wife) that I wouldn't buy a new light until I get my income tax return so I'm still waiting on my favorite uncle to cut me a check..

I have a couple small lights for maps and such as well as some bigger ones for trailer spotting but combining the 2 functions is a great excuse to get the wife to let me buy yet another light and I wanted something "great" this time around....

I've seen that as well with GPS units.... I'll use it but also figure out my own route instead of relying ONLY on the gizmo..
It can be a good tool but you can't rely solely on it and not know how to do anything else

Man, I like your style.

I have considered having an N put in my MD2 but tbh, I've stashed my Malkoffs with other prized possesions.
See, I have a flashlight addiction. Therefore my home is littered with flashlights. So I did the next best thing...I put a 'low' version of the Malkoff N drop in's in a couple of other lights. His N version is a great beam regardless of output level. And the NL version is good for 5 hours of steady brightness with several hours of dimming output.

My MD2 comes out on special occasions. Last night was one of those times.

I read your request and thought "goody, goody, goody I get the honor of sharing MD2 beam shots"...

I have 2. One was turned on once, batteries removed and it was placed in a safe. The other is in my 'absolutely positively has to work' bag with other items that will come in handy if the shtf.

Hope your favorite uncle gets you the bux real quick.

Last edited:

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
I know what you mean... I've got a bunch of lights around here as well... MOSTLY Maglites either mini or D-cell sized ones in both the LED and incandescent flavors

I've also got an old jetbeam ba20 that I used for quite awhile but my daughter has commandeered it to stay in her car for running back and forth to college/work...

I have a handful of enloops and a Maha mh-c9000 charger for the AA ones but decided since I always have 18650 batteries (I quit smoking almost 3 years ago by vaping and all my gear for that runs on them) I figured I'd step it up a bit....

I looked at a BUNCH of Chinese lights but found few with an interface that I liked (all I really need is high/low but I want either selectable from OFF and I DEFINATLY wanted "twisty") I arrived at malkoffs website somehow and almost immediately made my decision...
Made in the USA and a no BS" if it breaks we'll fix it or give you a new one "warranty.... They're like the Zippo lighters of flashlights