Malkoff Recessed Tailcap Blues

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was an MD2 for sale recently with a ground down tailcap.
It may be an idea...

tail.jpg

P

markr6

Flashaholic
I very much like that tail caps on Gene's lights.

Me too. Turns on with very little effort, but recessed enough to tail stand and prevent you from accidentally turning it on.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too. Turns on with very little effort, but recessed enough to tail stand and prevent you from accidentally turning it on.

​This is exactly why I like Gene's tail caps.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There was an MD2 for sale recently with a ground down tailcap.
It may be an idea...

tail.jpg

P

One could potentially use a dremel to remove portions leaving enough material at 3 points to still tail stand... I like Genes tailcaps too and have outfitted Pentogon twistys (w/ a pocket clip or lanyard ring for anti-roll) and Pelicans with them.
But when the Pelican 2320 cap worked it was cause for celebration.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Despite some comments to the contrary, it looks like the Z41 IS shorter overall. I don't mind the gap much so I'll probably go with the Z41. Besides, the Fivemega tailcaps are unobtanium.

roger-roger

Enlightened
Despite some comments to the contrary, it looks like the Z41 IS shorter overall. I don't mind the gap much so I'll probably go with the Z41. Besides, the Fivemega tailcaps are unobtanium.

There's the Oveready "custom knurled tailcap" in HA black, which I've just ordered for my HD XML, and is basically a Z41 replacement that closes the "gap" so the speak.

I don't mind the gap, but my Oveready natural HA Z41 HardPRESS, will then be moved as an identifier to an 18650 bored 6P. The HardPRESS tailcap switch is looking to become my preferred switch alternative for the Surefire Z41 design.

Still available as far as I can see.
http://www.oveready.com/a-parts/tailcaps/custom-knurled-aluminum-tailcap/prod_391.html?added=391

tuelleric

Enlightened
There's the Oveready "custom knurled tailcap" in HA black, which I've just ordered for my HD XML, and is basically a Z41 replacement that closes the "gap" so the speak.

I don't mind the gap, but my Oveready natural HA Z41 HardPRESS, will then be moved as an identifier to an 18650 bored 6P. The HardPRESS tailcap switch is looking to become my preferred switch alternative for the Surefire Z41 design.

In post #3 mk2rocco mentioned that the OR tailcap does not match very well. Would be great if someone could make a picture.

tuelleric

Enlightened
Mechanically it will fit, I am sure. He meant aesthetically, as you said. I should have made that clearer. Anyway, I am curious to see a picture once it arrives.

tuelleric

Enlightened
For an inexpensive fix, Nitecore make a protruding tailcap switch that will fit. I use one on a black C2. I just tried it on my Wildcat, it works fine but there is about an 1/8th inch gap. Battery Junction has them for ten bucks.

That's a valuable information, thanks Taz80!

How does the color and the finish match with the MD bodies? Do you have a picture by chance?

I recently ordered a Nitecore tailcap, it matches quite well. Due to the gap the overall length is nearly identical. But you can use a Surefire lanyard with it, which is a nice addition, in my opinion.

28967720rv.jpg

28967721my.jpg

28967722sv.jpg

28967723sl.jpg

28967724ml.jpg

Latest posts