Malkoff/Zebra Lumens question

Alpha Pews

Newly Enlightened
List,

My son took his/my favorite light off to API (8+ year old Zebra SC53w) and now I am faced with the terrible dilemma of shopping for something to keep my foursevens Quark 2AA tactical company.

I want to keep the AA or 2xAA format, a neutral color (4000k or so), clicky interface and a good moon setting. High CRI is not a priority, but I want excellent throw and decent runtimes. 300 or so lumen seems reasonable. <= $200 is the budget.

I see Zebra still has the SC53w neutral (max 330 Lum) and now a SC5w MkII neutral (max 407 Lum).

My question involves trying out a Malkoff.

I see an MDC HA 2AA offering (max 210 Lum), or a 1AA (max 90 Lum).

The Malkoff is twice as expensive...but has half or less light intensity. Folks on the forum love this brand...but am I missing something? Is the Malkoff that much of a better light that I should choose it over the Zebra given this spec?

Side Note: I was following a thread here that suggested legoing a Malkoff build using: "MXX dropin, VME head and MDC 2AA body." I have never built a light. Is it that easy to just buy these three parts and screw them together?

Sorry for the ramble. I really appreciate the advice.
I've recent been using the Streamlight 1L-1AA and it's a little beast and very capable. Can be programmed and also a battery vampire, runs on cr123, AA and Also AAA if in a pinch

michaex

Enlightened
Reliability is my primary consideration.

Google:
"zebralight problem" and then
"malkoff problem"

And draw conclusion yourself.

Everybody's consideration will be different of course.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this post. While I love my 1st gen Mag drop--ins, this has convinced me that I want no parts of an actual Malkoff flashlight.
That's good, if it keeps you from buying one and being disappointed because it doesn't suit you.
I have a hard time looking at other brands, though.
The only time I use anything else is for backpacking, as size and weight are my main considerations there, and I really only use a headlamp for that.
Well, that and for carrying on a keychain!

WYlightGUY

Newly Enlightened
I received my MDC 2AA over the weekend. It really is built like a tank, with the same form factor as my Quark 2AA Tactical. The soft/hard press tail button interface is great. I like the light a lot and it is going in my BOB.

That said, I contacted Zebra and they have a 5-10 day backlog on their Sc5w MKII, so I am going to pick up one of those as well. The "button on the side" form factor is more comfortable to me for EDC.

I am now researching Elzetta for my next light. Thanks everyone!

Well...upon further inspection it appears Zebra (and Malkoff) are all sold out/backordered on their AA lights. Understandable due to all the supply chain woes.

Guess I will not be obtaining a new torch anytime soon (unless someone has a lead on one with the specs i am looking for).

Thanks for the help everyone.

Headlamps are in stock.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm not mistaken Zebra uses pwm drivers which is why they seem to be brighter for longer. An illusion, but one that works. Malkoff are cc. No pwm.

Last edited:

loydski228

Newly Enlightened
6D4728C1-563F-4674-8A4A-6B5AD3F698A1.jpeg

I have this available if anyone is interested brand new.