• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Manker U21vn - 26650 Thrower

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id love to see side by side comparison shots of the Manker U21vn XPL vs the K70vn!! I was tempted to buy STOCK the Thrunite TN42 over the Manker, because I could've gotten it for 180$ (just a little more over the Manker and I owned no 26650s at the time.) But I went with compact. Hearing your testimony really increases my confidence in my purchase, but I only own three other lights, no throwers, all small lights. This is by far my biggest most powerful most throwing light.

Great throw, great value, great size. I think you chose well! I remember asking Vinh about this light when it first came out, but he couldn't work it with his old driver so he said no. Feels like I've been waiting for this light for a long time! Definitely worth it. [emoji4]

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree on not wanting to have any lights larger than the U21 for things like walking or hiking around at night. It fits nicely into a cargo shorts/pants pocket, or into a jacket/coat pocket. Any larger and I wouldn't want to be carrying it around. Due to the robust handle and heatsink, it's not top-heavy either.

This light's definitely a keeper, and if Vinh ever happens on new LEDs that outthrow the XPL PDT with equal or more lumens, then I'll see if he can't put the new tech into the U21vn.

Luckily there was no missing spots of anodizing on my light, but I'm going to be extra careful when handling it, because I don't want it getting marred easily and ruining the beautiful matte finish.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
^^^^

The first thing I noticed about this light is that it is TOP HEAVY. It is not an issue, but is unique in that regard to any other light I have in a similar size.

I could not imagine putting this light in a pants pocket! Even Cargo pants. Why would one consider putting this in their pants pocket when you can use/buy a holster? My M2X/M3X holster work perfect! Maybe a coat pocket.

That is my take.......I use these lights on the trail when walking Capo. Any light that does NOT have a holster is a negative for me,exception TK61vn and the soon coming TN42vn which have a strap to go across my shoulder!

Last edited:

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of holsters, is there an aftermarket holster that will work for this light?

I usually just carry in my coat pocket but a holster is always nice to have if available.

Capolini

Banned
Speaking of holsters, is there an aftermarket holster that will work for this light?

I usually just carry in my coat pocket but a holster is always nice to have if available.

If you buy my M3X that is up for sale on here you will have a holster that works perfectly!!

Other than that,VEN might know of one,he seems to know where to find them.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light might be top heavy if you only hold it on the handle, without your thumb and index finger wrapped around the heat-sink portion. Normal grip for me though is with the thumb on the power button and index finger on the underside of the heatsink. That means the two strongest digits on my hand are cradling the heaviest chunk of the U21. I've no other throwers of its size to compare to, but surely this light can't be as top heavy compared to something like an M30LC2 or M2X-UT, whose heads are abnormally big compared to their handles.

As far as preferring cargo pocket/jacket pocket carry to a holster, (and this is just my personal opinion so I don't mean to insult anybody), but I'm not trying to look like a cop or somebody who thinks they're tactical, so I rather just stay normal and carry it in a pocket. Carrying a relatively big thrower light around in a holster looks 100 times more awkward than in a jacket pocket. (Carrying around a flashlight of this performance is already weird enough as it is.)

Last edited:

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry my lights in my jacket pockets or just carry them. I do like the option of having a holster if I decide to go that route. I'm pretty sure I look awkward either way I carried, my latest night walks have been with K40Lvn, TN30, X60vn, and U21vn. I usually have X60vn in hand and the rest in my pockets, I can easily fit up to a K60vn in my pocket but X60vn is a little to long for my jacket pocket but does fit in the side pocket. I try to rotate through my lights 3 or 4 at a time and give new ones a little extra use to try them out.

I think my U21vn will be in rotation more often for a while, it's a really well balanced light in size and output, and I love the drivervnx2 side switch, I don't have to move my hand to switch modes and direct access to turbo.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
The light might be top heavy if you only hold it on the handle, without your thumb and index finger wrapped around the heat-sink portion. Normal grip for me though is with the thumb on the power button and index finger on the underside of the heatsink. That means the two strongest digits on my hand are cradling the heaviest chunk of the U21. I've no other throwers of its size to compare to, but surely this light can't be as top heavy compared to something like an M30LC2 or M2X-UT, whose heads are abnormally big compared to their handles.

As far as preferring cargo pocket/jacket pocket carry to a holster, (and this is just my personal opinion so I don't mean to insult anybody), but I'm not trying to look like a cop or somebody who thinks they're tactical, so I rather just stay normal and carry it in a pocket. Carrying a relatively big thrower light around in a holster looks 100 times more awkward than in a jacket pocket. (Carrying around a flashlight of this performance is already weird enough as it is.)

Young man I am sorry to inform you but you are wrong! You can't be so sure if you do not have the light or look at selfbuilts review which includes the WEIGHT and all other dimensions!

I have the M2Xvn. It is not even close to the weight[overall and the weight of the head] of my U21vn!!.

Your perception of normal is totally different than mine!! What is so abnormal about using a holster to carry a light? Maybe your in the city or areas of a lot of people? If so, who cares,nothing wrong with being a police officer!

I am on the trail! It is not only normal but it is COMFORTABLE!

I am also not sure of your definition of a "Big Thrower light" is? In terms of size or performance?Both?

A big thrower to me is my OSTS TN31mb, TK61vn, K40vn and soon to be TN42vn. I could NOT imagine it being more comfortable to put those lights in my pocket than to use a holster or a strap for the biggest ones.You could NOT put them in your pocket!

They are Bigger lights that Throw FAR!,2 OF THEM OVER 1 MILE!

EDIT:

Weights from selfbuilts review:

Manker U21: Weight 294.4g (391.5g with 26650 battery), Length: 149.1mm, Width (bezel): 59.1mm

Olight M2X-UT: Weight: 218.6g, Length: 163mm, Width (bezel): 47.0mm
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

U21 Stock version alone is 76 grams heavier[2.7 ounces] without a battery. Obviously we are using a battery to operate the light.A standard protected NCR18650 3400mAh battery weighs just 46 grams compared to 97 grams of the average 26650!

Basically what it comes down to with all this math[!]....the U21vn is about 5 ounces heavier than the M2Xvn with batteries!

Add the 1 oz[28 grams] of Heat sinking on the U21vn it is is even heavier! The M2X did not need much additional heat sinking.

That was too much work!

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
We could go around in circular rebuttals all day about our opinions if we wanted to, but I'm not going to try to convince you about what I feel is and isn't. So this is what I think and it's not changing.

-The U21vn doesn't feel top-heavy to me.
-Holsters look awkward as hell.
-Any light larger than U21vn I would not want.

-This post was not too much work.

Capolini

Banned
We could go around in circular rebuttals all day about our opinions if we wanted to, but I'm not going to try to convince you about what I feel is and isn't. So this is what I think and it's not changing.

-The U21vn doesn't feel top-heavy to me.
-Holsters look awkward as hell.
-Any light larger than U21vn I would not want.

-This post was not too much work.

Preferences are one thing BUT FACTS ARE FACTS!!

THE U21vn is at least 5 Ounces heavier than the M2X UT!!

That was the basis of my post because of your inaccurate comment:

but surely this light can't be as top heavy compared to something like an M30LC2 or M2X-UT, whose heads are abnormally big compared to their handles.

I have been wrong before,nothing wrong with admitting it,,better than being defiant.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being top heavy and being heavy are two different things. I'm not disputing the U21 is a heavy tank of a light, because it is (which I actually prefer for heatsinking purposes, plus weight feels good in the hand.)

I'm also not wording my initial comment as a flat-out statement of fact, but more of a question, as I said I've not tried out other compact throwers of similar size. To be completely clear on the matter, I'm saying right now that I've not tried out the M30LC2 or the M2X-UT in person, so I don't know about their supposed top-heaviness compared to the U21vn, however they look like they would be-- especially the M30LC2.

Capolini

Banned
^^^^

This is my last comment on this.

"I've no other throwers of its size to compare to, but SURELY this light can't be as top heavy compared to something like an M30LC2 or M2X-UT, whose heads are abnormally big compared to their handles."

Where is the question mark?

"BUT SURELY THIS LIGHT",,,,,,That sounds like a STATEMENT of certainty on your part and not a QUESTION!

Guess what? Thicker aluminum and more heat sinking can make a smaller head heavier!!!!

It is clear as day what you said, yet your still in DENIAL!

It is a waste of energy to try and prove something to someone who will continue to rationalize and justify.

There are few if any people who understand the English language and Human behavior better than I do.
;)

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^

This is my last comment on this.

"I've no other throwers of its size to compare to, but SURELY this light can't be as top heavy compared to something like an M30LC2 or M2X-UT, whose heads are abnormally big compared to their handles."

Where is the question mark?

"BUT SURELY THIS LIGHT",,,,,,That sounds like a STATEMENT of certainty on your part and not a QUESTION!

Guess what? Thicker aluminum and more heat sinking can make a smaller head heavier!!!!

It is clear as day what you said, yet your still in DENIAL!

It is a waste of energy to try and prove something to someone who will continue to rationalize and justify.

There are few if any people who understand the English language and Human behavior better than I do.
;)

giphy.gif

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess who got his u21vn!!!

Being my first 26650 light, the whole experience is new to me. Cutting out all the fun I had with it, the closest competitor in my collection is obviously the M30CvnT (My M30CvnT actually only says "M30" not sure what the "C" is in the vn version).

Left is M30CvnT: 685 lumen, 300k lux (from skylumen.com)
Right is U21vn spec 1: 910 lumen, 323 lux.

Both these lights have reflectors of the same diameter. The M30CvnT has a wider diameter head but its bezel is thicker than the u21vn. However, the M30CvnT has a deeper reflector by a centimeter or so.

OK, now for some wall shots. Please note that my walls are not white and these pics aren't really an accurate representation of the beam tint. Left: U21vn. Right M30CvnT. Distance: about 1 meter (1 yard)
First off, the obvious difference is the size of the spill. Despite having such a drastically larger spill, the U21vn's spill was still just as bright as the M30CvnT.

This is a pic with the brightness on my phone turned all the way down to show a comparison of hotspot sizes. Quite literally identical hotspots at 1 meter distance. The M30CvnT has a broader corona.

What I can't take a picture of is that when I increase the distance past, say 30ft, the M30CvnT has a smaller hotspot than the U21vn. Probably means the M30CvnT is more focused than the U21vn due to it's deeper reflector. Honestly, I cannot tell which throws farther with my eyes. Despite both lights being XPG2 PDT, the Manker seemed to have a slightly warmer tint than the Eagtac and this might have affected my perception of its brightness at greater distances. Either way, both of these are ridiculous throwers.

All things considered, I really like the U21vn over the M30Cvnt. Here are my reasons why:

1. Something about the 26650 handle feels more at home in my palm than the skinnier 18650 handle of the M30Cvnt. The U21vn reminds me of a throttle grip of a motorcycle.

2. Althought I've never driven either light to the point of getting too hot to hold, the M30CvnT definitely -starts- getting warmer faster than the U21vn.

3. U21vn has the tailcap lockout while the M30CvnT doesn't. U21vn also tailstands.

4. Entirely personal but I prefer Driver vnx2 over Driver vn2. I also like the somewhat squishy feel of the button on the U21vn.

The M30CvnT isn't up for sale tho. It is lighter and my 18650 collection has a huge head start over my 2 26650s.

Lastly, I wanna comment that the Manker comes with a plastic tube that serves as an "adapter" so the light can operate with 18650 batteries. This adapter's outer diameter is too small to fully fill the circumference of a 26650 battery and the inner diameter is too large for 18650s. Also, as you can see, the adapter is quite a bit shorter than the battery resulting in an awkward little "clunk" as the flashlight rotates.

Here is a pic of the U21vn with the adapter with an LG HE4 inside. There's plenty of room to stash some rolled up emergency cash!

While I admit this light was not designed for 18650s, I'd point out that they should have thought of an adapter that fits better with the light in circumference AND in length.

As for the 26650, I got the basen and the efest (thanks OG!) and have yet to deplete either to even have an opinion. It is seriously a fun light tho.

Last edited:

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic review, eekazum!

I have both the M30CvnT and U21vn, but my U21vn is XPL PDT (1500 lumen, 260K lux). I agree with all you said. My version of the U21vn has a huge hot spot. The only negative on the U21vn is that is weighs 25% more (2.6 oz) than the M30CvnT, including batteries.