maxabeam question

Matt@PeakBeam

Newly Enlightened
In most previous versions of the Maxa Beam's programming, you could either assign the right rocker function on the 4-way switch to momentary high (default) or 16 second high. For about the last year we have added a third option of a true latching high setting that can also be assigned now that we are exclusively selling or handheld searchlights with LiFePO4 battery technology.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
In most previous versions of the Maxa Beam's programming, you could either assign the right rocker function on the 4-way switch to momentary high (default) or 16 second high. For about the last year we have added a third option of a true latching high setting that can also be assigned now that we are exclusively selling or handheld searchlights with LiFePO4 battery technology.
I have mine set to momentary, i couldnt remember the sequence to switch it to latching.
I really should get my Gen2 fixed...

Matt@PeakBeam

Newly Enlightened
I had a MBS450 pop a bulb on latched high while using a LiPO 4 battery. A good LiPO4 battery will supply more current than some Maxa Beam bulbs will hold.

This was with a Peak Beam LiFePO4 battery? You may be mixing up some battery terms here. "Non-passive" failures (a term i always got a kick out of) are extremely rare, as in I have never heard a customer report one in the 8-years I've been working at Peak Beam. Now if you are using a third-party or custom battery pack, you need to be careful not supplying more than 13.5V to the searclights. Especially in Gen 2 searchlights you could overdrive the lamp by supplying the searchlight too much voltage.

The term LiPo, a.k.a Lithium Polymer, is referring to the pouch format of the battery and most commonly referring to your traditional Lithium Cobalt Oxide chemistry, but they are made in other Li-Ion chemistries. Depending on the chemistry a 4S configuration will typically charge up to 16.8V, and a freshly charged, unregulated pack could overdrive a Maxa Beam, particularly a Gen 2 Maxa Beam.

LiFePO4, a.k.a Lithium Iron Phosphate and sometimes referred to as "LFP", batteries are a specific chemistry under the Lithium Ion umbrella. They have a lower energy density than Lithium Cobalt Oxide but offer several advantages, including many more cycles, lower voltage relative to other Li-Ion (good for Maxa Beam that was originally based on a lower voltage battery technology), better power density (able to charge/discharge at higher rates), and are inherently safer.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bad Matt. My iPhone keeps clipping text.

The battery in question is a Peak Beam Systems MBP 1310 LiFePO4, serial # M01020.

The light was the MBS450 and the bulb had less than 2 hours of runtime before the kaboom.

The light was started and after dropping back from start (high) I toggled the switch to the right as I was attempting to set up for a photo shoot. Less than 5 seconds later, pop, all done. A few small scratches on the reflector and some pits on the window.

I believe I talked with Annie on a replacement Spider lens and the bulb pop. Annie pretty much stated that the 450 didn't like the battery in question and to stay with the NiCad or the other lithium I have from Peak. I've got no Maxa Beam batteries that aren't genuine Peak batteries.

I do have packs for my Night Hunters that are home built as well as a few RC packs. Xenonics doesn't provide the level of support provided by Peak.

Please correct me if I'm incorrect in my statement.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
intresting.... i have a +16v lipo pack in my gen2 and have never had any issues with it whatsoever. purrs like a kitten. my other, earlier model gen2 did not like it however, it would only strobe violently on the +16v pack. ran fine on 12v sla tho.