MAXABLASTER BEAMSHOTS

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
RA, your light is amazing. Ever since I joined CPF, I've been amazed by long throwing lights, Maxabeam etc. Yours definitely is the king of all throwers.

While I was working on the CC with my father, we talked alot about Short Arc's. If my father hadn't passed away last year, we may have attempted to build one.

Since then I haven't thought much about it, until I saw your thread. Not that I plan on attempting anything, it's nice to remember those times with my father.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Nitro,

Sorry about your father. I'm kind of in the same situation: My mother died may last year, she was the most important person in my life! It will be hard to come over that.

Fortunately, my father is still alive and kicking! He had a few close calls, but he came out of the bypass-operation a new man!

Nice to hear my thread brings back good memories.

Take care,

Regards,

Ra.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra,

Those beamshots make me giggle every time I see them. Absolutley STUNNING. 6.2 KM. Can you imagine being a teenager, sitting on the hillside, perhaps having a few drinks, or sitting with a young lady, and suddenly, the whole area is lit up! I imagine it would be impossible for the mind to discern where the light is coming from.
There are some spots nt far from my house where young hooligans cause trouble at night. I've considered HID from the road (1000M), but I think I need to reconsider, go further away and bigger....MUCH BIGGER.

ez78

Enlightened
Incredible machine. It does look like from the pictures that it could throw much farther than 6200m even, and still with good intensity. I have a clear view to a factory chimney about 7km away from my home and my 30mW green laser can reach it but just barely. I used binoculars to verify it. The spot might have been 3m diameter.

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredible machine. It does look like from the pictures that it could throw much farther than 6200m even, and still with good intensity. I have a clear view to a factory chimney about 7km away from my home and my 30mW green laser can reach it but just barely. I used binoculars to verify it. The spot might have been 3m diameter.

Yes ez78,

Indeed Maxablaster can do better than 6200m: A few months ago, I (just barely..) enlightened a ferry over a distance of 13.5km! But most CPF-members would say: "Doesn't count! there's no proof!" (I cannot blame them: I don't have pictures of the event..and if someone else would claim high throw for his light, without something to backup his story, I would be a sceptic too !!)

Looking at the beamshots in this thread, you can see that also the darker objects like trees and stuff are still visble, enlightened over 6200m! If you use a forest to determine the throw of a light, you will end up with less then half of the throw-distance than when you use clear white objects like a factory.
So with that in mind, on white surfaces, Maxablaster should indeed reach a throw of over 12km.

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

ez78

Enlightened
Indeed Maxablaster can do better then 6200m: A few months ago, I (just barely..) enlightened a ferry over a distance of 13.5km!

Well, I believe you. Those beamshots are mighty convincing.

By the way do you know if HID ballasts in general are sensitive to that modified sine wave from the inverter? Real sine inverters are much more expensive I think. Would be fun to try to make something like 150-200W HID Thor.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I believe you. Those beamshots are mighty convincing.

By the way do you know if HID ballasts in general are sensitive to that modified sine wave from the inverter? Real sine inverters are much more expensive I think. Would be fun to try to make something like 150-200W HID Thor.

That depends on the ballast you are going to use: The Smartarc HBX-76 has a wide inputrange of 90-260 volts, and has special electronics to overcome the 'modified sine' problem.. So it works fine with the Monacor TWI-150/12.

Real sine inverters indeed are more expensive, but most important: They are bigger as well ! So they are no option if you know how much effort it took me to make Maxablaster this portable!

I already have a TWI-220/12: Hopefully a good match with the ELDC 2.31 ballast for the 200watt Emarc bulb that produces 10.000 lumens and has better colorrendering then the HBO 103/W2 (Maxablaster)

So, as you can see, I already am looking into designing an even more powerfull monster! But with the bigger inverter and bigger ballast it will sertainly be a big challenge! Positive: Batteries get more powerfull every day, so they will need less space..

It definitely will take time: Don't expect it to be ready in less then one or two years !!

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, just becoming acquainted with the "big guns" so to speak.:faint:.reminds me of the Star Trek intro "....to go where no man has gone before...."....

Karl

Bushman5

Enlightened
Ra,

Those beamshots make me giggle every time I see them. Absolutley STUNNING. 6.2 KM. Can you imagine being a teenager, sitting on the hillside, perhaps having a few drinks, or sitting with a young lady, and suddenly, the whole area is lit up! I imagine it would be impossible for the mind to discern where the light is coming from.
There are some spots nt far from my house where young hooligans cause trouble at night. I've considered HID from the road (1000M), but I think I need to reconsider, go further away and bigger....MUCH BIGGER.

never mind that.....think of the disorientating capabilities for law enforcement! Shine that in a perps eyes and he'll be disorientated for about ten minutes, allowing the officer to safely approach and apprehend.

:faint:

java_man

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic piece of engineering and craftsmanship Ra !

And proof that precision optics and a highly intense point source are the key to long throw

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two years!!! Wow by the time you finish it, my fenix super duper Cree ZZ bin will give it a run for it's money! LOL! Just Kidding! :crackup::nana:

So, as you can see, I already am looking into designing an even more powerfull monster...... It definitely will take time: Don't expect it to be ready in less then one or two years !

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two years!!! Wow by the time you finish it, my fenix super duper Cree ZZ bin will give it a run for it's money! LOL! Just Kidding! :crackup::nana:

I hope so Alex, because then I can use the Cree ZZ in my project, instead of the short-arc bulb!!
When do you think the Cree ZZ bin starts selling???? :paypal:

Regards,

Ra.

ez78

Enlightened
It definitely will take time: Don't expect it to be ready in less then one or two years !!

Ok, less than one please, and make it good. :D Just kidding, haha. No pressure. Very interesting stuff.

Bushman5

Enlightened
never mind that.....think of the disorientating capabilities for law enforcement! Shine that in a perps eyes and he'll be disorientated for about ten minutes, allowing the officer to safely approach and apprehend.

:faint:

double post :(

Last edited:

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
It's an amazing light, Ra!

I'm truly amazed with its performance and awared of the ozone that comes out of it. What about filling the entire reflector with argon or nitrogen and sealing the reflector/bulb space?

What is the optical efficiency of the front glass and where did you get it from? It seems to be AR-coated, am I right?

Damian

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an amazing light, Ra!

I'm truly amazed with its performance and awared of the ozone that comes out of it. What about filling the entire reflector with argon or nitrogen and sealing the reflector/bulb space?

What is the optical efficiency of the front glass and where did you get it from? It seems to be AR-coated, am I right?

Damian

Hi Damian,

I thought about isolating the bulb-reflector compartiment, but then I would have more problems with heat-dissipation, and I figured: "I'm going to use this outside anyway" so getting rid of the heat and ozone with a little fan seemed to be the most practical solution..

I don't know what type of glass I used. I measured the transmittance (190-3200nm) of a few exsisting pieces of glass and was pleased with the results of this one, I AR-coated the window myself: It has an overall transmittance of 98% between 400 and 700nm..

When are we going to see a glimpse of your T-5 monster ??

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
You AR coated the glass on your own? It sounds like I will place an order for the Thor AR-coated front window to you in the future. :)

The T5 is like the way through the hell - all the things I must arrange and do on my own - noone did it before... I've already got pricing from the CNC workman - huh... Placing 8 pieces of 18650 Li-Ion cells in the stock 4D Mag tube isn't cheap thing indeed... But it's possible! It will be different looking than light in my sig, with more compact head and stock battery tube - more Maglite, more sexy and with the same kick-*** performance. :) I think it will be ready next month. :D

Damian

Last edited:

serious sam

Newly Enlightened
Well, just becoming acquainted with the "big guns" so to speak.:faint:.reminds me of the Star Trek intro "....to go where no man has gone before...."....

Karl

Jaw Dropped.....OMG..... Maxablaster has just blast maxabeam into sky high..... your Maxablaster have shine where no handheld has shine before.... :D unbelieveable.... Im really happy to discover CPF, lots of lots of lights to see!!!

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went back and reread this post. I must say 4000 Lumens in a Short Arc bulb has got to be incredible.

The only thing I can compare it to is, having the output of my CC, with a beam as tight as my MaxaBeam. That would be insane.