MBI: "Thing" - My newest, top secret "the product with no name"

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MBI: "Thing" - My newest, top secret "the product with no name"

This one is moving really fast, congrats!

Could you at least tell us what battery type it is and how many modes? The suspense is killing me

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

This one is moving really fast, congrats!

Could you at least tell us what battery type it is and how many modes? The suspense is killing me

Hi KuanR,

Thanks for posting and great to see you back here :D

For now, I can tell you the typical operating voltage is 3V.
Thing-O,Thing-E have possibly Zero Modes....:thinking:
Thing-Ultimate (plan) is 10 (if you count OFF as a mode).

Tgwnn

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zero modes! :fail::twak::dedhorse::dedhorse::dedhorse::hairpull::hairpull::tinfoil::grin2:

You're killing me! lol
So......... that could mean, you touch the Thing and it automatically does its Thing? :thinking::tinfoil:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zero modes! :fail::twak::dedhorse::dedhorse::dedhorse::hairpull::hairpull::tinfoil::grin2:

You're killing me! lol
So......... that could mean, you touch the Thing and it automatically does its Thing? :thinking::tinfoil:

Awesome graphic Str8stroke :thumbsup:

It could mean that....

It could mean you just look at some thing and it automatically knows you are looking, so it does its thing...

or, perhaps just think of some thing (out loud with sub-second flashback of visual images running through your mind)...

or, it may also not mean any of that at all :D

If it's of any help, my initial target was 525.6

For now, Thing-O looks spot on, Thing-E most likely under, Thing-Ultimate most likely over.

Tgwnn

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's of any help, my initial target was 525.6
Know how you like push bbrightness, I'm going to say seconds of runtime.

I would consider touching it to come on and releasing for off as one mode (two if you count off). So maybe Thing-E and Thing-O are always on a moonlight mode (kinda like the Lamplighter) and 525.6 is days the battery last.

Or is that Lux?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Know how you like push bbrightness, I'm going to say seconds of runtime.

I would consider touching it to come on and releasing for off as one mode (two if you count off). So maybe Thing-E and Thing-O are always on a moonlight mode (kinda like the Lamplighter) and 525.6 is days the battery last.

Or is that Lux?

Hi eraursls1984,

Thanks for the post and cool theory :)

The number has some reference of course but a quick calc returns 0.6 * 24 = 14.4 (eg. 14.4hours).
I often feel like I'm hallucinating at this time of the night but when I awake (awoke) I would have likely chopped off the 14.4,
unless of course there is a special reason ;)

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update:

Ok, so "things" are all moving along in harmony and on track like a miracle.
Hopefully, the miracle of Christmas :twothumbs:

A gorgeous 3D printed Thing-Ultimate arrived this morning.
Mechanics all check out, so now working on finalizing the PCB.
Estimate to finish the PCB is ~Monday Nov 16.

There are a few very minor adjustments I'm planning for the machining parts, and I expect to get those knocked out by the time the PCB design is done.

That would put my first machined, Thing-Ultimate working samples at roughly Dec 12-15, as long as I can make the stretch to order them.

Magnets arrived for Thing-O, the fit was perfect, and function equally so.
Engraving for the samples was completed so they will join the party at HQ a few days from now.
The moment I confirm them, I can give the go ahead on machining the rest of the beta batch, and that should land at HQ ~3weeks from that moment.

I receive word that components for Thing-O,Thing-E PCBs will arrive on Friday Nov13.
PCB assembly is scheduled for Monday, so a little time for testing and some buffer, they should be landing at HQ end of next week.

Good Good Good :party:

Tgwnn

th8tredude

Enlightened

Awesome news Guy! I love it when a plan comes together! Here's to good luck for some new MBI greatness before the new year!

ChibiM

Enlightened

Hey TGWNN, interesting thing for sure!
Thats really small! And it can even emit light..wow :naughty:
if you`re excited, I`m excited.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Apparently, the main delay is simply that the light is so small, there's no room for a photon inside it.

The light has to assemble the photons outside the light using the function of spacetime that spontaneously generates photons as a function of empty space (outside the light is empty...a brilliant design feature...)

As spontaneously generated photons are not generally enough to see by, in the wild, the light uses the positrons and electrons that are also generated as a function of spacetime to power a holographic collimator sequence that concentrates the photons into a precisely structured beam that only bounces photons off of objects you want to see.

That way, if you are looking for your boots in the tent at night, so you can put them on and hit the loo...the photons only are sent out if there are boots. This is where the modes come into play.

You have to set it for what you want the photons to aim at.

The one with no modes uses your brainwaves to determine what you want to see...so you have to be able to think clearly to use the no-mode version. IE: You will not be able to find your homeopathic medicines or healing crystal pyramids or Donald Trump campaign literature, etc.

I promised not to tell how these work, but, it's too big a secret to hold in any longer. May the flashlight gods forgive me.

:D

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome news Guy! I love it when a plan comes together! Here's to good luck for some new MBI greatness before the new year!

Thanks th8tredude ;)

Hey TGWNN, interesting thing for sure!
Thats really small! And it can even emit light..wow :naughty:
if you`re excited, I`m excited.

Thanks ChibiM,
I am excited for sure :D

Apparently, the main delay is simply that the light is so small, there's no room for a photon inside it.

The light has to assemble the photons outside the light using the function of spacetime that spontaneously generates photons as a function of empty space (outside the light is empty...a brilliant design feature...)

As spontaneously generated photons are not generally enough to see by, in the wild, the light uses the positrons and electrons that are also generated as a function of spacetime to power a holographic collimator sequence that concentrates the photons into a precisely structured beam that only bounces photons off of objects you want to see.

That way, if you are looking for your boots in the tent at night, so you can put them on and hit the loo...the photons only are sent out if there are boots. This is where the modes come into play.

You have to set it for what you want the photons to aim at.

The one with no modes uses your brainwaves to determine what you want to see...so you have to be able to think clearly to use the no-mode version. IE: You will not be able to find your homeopathic medicines or healing crystal pyramids or Donald Trump campaign literature, etc.

I promised not to tell how these work, but, it's too big a secret to hold in any longer. May the flashlight gods forgive me.

Thanks TEEJ :crackup:

After my 5th read, I'm still lost somewhere between the positron and the homeopathic collimator :crackup:

Some kind of positron Donald Trump campaign literature sounds like a good idea though, something that transmits directly to your brain, and a negatron to auto-filter out the blackness?

Which reminds me, somewhere way back, I'd mentioned a flashdark, something that can project dark instead of light. It's especially useful when you receive a package in the daytime and what you really need is night but I haven't been able to work out the specifics for a variable spectrum filter that lets you still see the visible spectrum of whatever tint your flashlights are. Working on it.... :candle:

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in! I mean, I'll take it! I love nighttime!

Thanks KC,

ahhh don't we all :D

Minor Update:

Laser Engraving for the Thing-O samples is done, photos look awesome.
They'll be headed my way shortly :thumbsup:

Tgwnn

You can jump to my next update here

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

TGWNN, yo home boy, you sure you didn't get that backwards? :fail: I am kinda surprised that the Thing-O didn't engrave the laser! :tinfoil:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Thanks th8tredude ;)

Thanks ChibiM,
I am excited for sure :D

Thanks TEEJ :crackup:

After my 5th read, I'm still lost somewhere between the positron and the homeopathic collimator :crackup:

Some kind of positron Donald Trump campaign literature sounds like a good idea though, something that transmits directly to your brain, and a negatron to auto-filter out the blackness?

Which reminds me, somewhere way back, I'd mentioned a flashdark, something that can project dark instead of light. It's especially useful when you receive a package in the daytime and what you really need is night but I haven't been able to work out the specifics for a variable spectrum filter that lets you still see the visible spectrum of whatever tint your flashlights are. Working on it.... :candle:

Tgwnn

I'd discuss the way the flashdark works, but my team of patent attorneys has advised me that a public discussion of its workings could void my flashdark's patent defense.

It's OK, I've been keeping everyone in the dark with it for years now anyway.

As my team of patent attorneys all wear white coats, won't let me out of my padded office laboratory, and try to get me to take myriad medicines, screw them.

Here's the basic concept:

Darkness is simply the absence of light (photons), so you cannot project darkness per se...as that would be projecting the absence of something, which is not typically feasible.

However, as photons are their own antiparticle, when you collide a photon and an antiphoton together, you get an electron-positron pair, which you cannot see by.

Link to experimental proof of concept:

http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=56211

http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v8/n6/full/nphoton.2014.95.html

So, using an antiphoton emitter arrangement, we simply destroy all of the photons with antiphotons, resulting in a beam of electron-positron particles instead of light....or, in lay terms, a beam of darkness.

:naughty:

As soon as I work out the niggling details, such as the type of finish, for the copper and Ti versions, and how to keep the beam from destroying everything its aimed at, such as what happened when experimenting with it on the earth's second moon (sorry), etc, it should be ready for production.

:sssh:

Another detail is that the beam would not allow testing of flashlights using ordinary photons...as they too would be annihilated.

I have a second plan to allow that though I can go into if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Guy's selling flashdarks? How much?!?!?!?

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Truth be told, you can already get them from maglight. They call them flashlights though for some strange reason.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

TGWNN, yo home boy, you sure you didn't get that backwards? :fail: I am kinda surprised that the Thing-O didn't engrave the laser! :tinfoil:
Hi Str8stroke,
LOL, not sure which it was but it looks wicked ;)

I'd discuss the way the flashdark works, but my team of patent attorneys has advised me that a public discussion of its workings could void my flashdark's patent defense.

It's OK, I've been keeping everyone in the dark with it for years now anyway.

As my team of patent attorneys all wear white coats, won't let me out of my padded office laboratory, and try to get me to take myriad medicines, screw them.

Here's the basic concept:

Darkness is simply the absence of light (photons), so you cannot project darkness per se...as that would be projecting the absence of something, which is not typically feasible.

However, as photons are their own antiparticle, when you collide a photon and an antiphoton together, you get an electron-positron pair, which you cannot see by.

Link to experimental proof of concept:
http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=56211
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v8/n6/full/nphoton.2014.95.html

So, using an antiphoton emitter arrangement, we simply destroy all of the photons with antiphotons, resulting in a beam of electron-positron particles instead of light....or, in lay terms, a beam of darkness.

:naughty:

As soon as I work out the niggling details, such as the type of finish, for the copper and Ti versions, and how to keep the beam from destroying everything its aimed at, such as what happened when experimenting with it on the earth's second moon (sorry), etc, it should be ready for production.

:sssh:

Another detail is that the beam would not allow testing of flashlights using ordinary photons...as they too would be annihilated.

I have a second plan to allow that though I can go into if anyone is interested.

Nice one TEEJ :thumbsup:

Once I get my time machine working again, I'm coming over to kidnap you for a week.
Then once we get the flashdark working, I'll have you back the same minute you left, so short of being a little sleep deprived, you'll never know you were gone :crackup:

The way I envisioned it, was to create a specific photon/wavelength filter, like an IR PassThru Filter, so the only way to shine light through a flashdark would be to use a specially tuned flash-light.

Hi more_vampires,

Nowhere near ready for sale but think of it as noise cancellation, for lighting........

Truth be told, you can already get them from maglight. They call them flashlights though for some strange reason.

:crackup:

Good thing I'm reading this at home!

Those lights were beautiful for their era.

Tgwnn

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi more_vampires,

Nowhere near ready for sale but think of it as noise cancellation, for lighting........
I am hereby officially reserving the first slot in your flashdark project. Neener neener, guys! First in line! :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am hereby officially reserving the first slot in your flashdark project. Neener neener, guys! First in line! :)
Hi more_vampires,

You might want to sit down.... :D

Definitely a single digit spot ;) but I think it may have been Cataract, way way back in the Torpedo thread who raised his hand for the very first flashdark. For the record though, I'll probably have to get my time machine working to complete that one.

:bow:

Tgwnn