MBI: "Thing" - My newest, top secret "the product with no name"

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Re: MBI: "Thing" - My newest, top secret "the product with no name"

I'm in for a thing-of-a-jig or whatever it is too.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thing Update: (there's a photo in my next post)

Things (literally) schedule seems to be moving along well and as days go by so quickly (for me at least), looks like they are just around the corner.

Here's where things are at....

Thing-O
The first (top) half of the machining samples for Thing-O are ready, waiting on the 2nd half which is a few more days away.

A multitude of PCB samples for Thing-O are also underway.
Some components take about a week to arrive so it is looking like ~ 2weeks for the PCBs to be completed but for now I do have enough Thing-O PCBs to test new machining parts when they get here.

Custom Silicon part for Thing-O is also ordered, and the samples are due to arrive around end of next week.

For now, Thing-O definitely looks like it will be the first Thing ready to share.

Thing-E
Half the 3D Printed samples are done, awaiting the other half (various material combos to see which is going to be the best fit).
The first PCB protos for Thing-E are also finally underway and due with the Thing-O PCB. These are mostly to verify size and format, the circuit itself is very well tested now.

I was considering a minor component/size change for the Thing-E PCB but held back (as they might not have fit in the new 3D printed bodies that are on the way) so I may consider that after verifying everything works. It is a fairly minor change, mostly to ensure a good connection with the power supply.

At this stage, still a high probability I can have some Thing-Es about the same time as Thing-Os.

Thing-Ultimate
Simple in the big picture scheme of things but rather complex in the Thing scheme.

I received a first estimate today for Thing-Ultimate machining, after a few design tweaks to minimize possibility of warping during production (thin parts....). It's a good thing I was sitting down when I saw the cost :D
...there are quite a few very detailed and intricate parts, which translates into a lot of set up, machine adjustments & changes so it is understandable. Not crazily expensive but will need a modest quantity to reel the cost in a little.

Even a small batch of samples (5 units) is going to be well north of $1K (and that's purely for the machining, aluminum only) so I'll get to printing one out (3D) in the next day or two to re-verify everything as best I can, and consider the next step but with PCB and other custom parts, most likely at least a few $K for a working, production quality prototype.

PCB components for the Thing-Ultimate are pretty much set and will be working to get closer to a final PCB candidate in the week ahead so thinking as I type, I'll wait to finish the PCB, verify the PCB cost and from there, work out the optimal number of prototypes/pre-production batch for Thing-Ultimate.

Trying to estimate the timing for that... at fastest, a PCB proto end of this month, 5 weeks or so for machining a modest quantity.., seems like a January timeline (it would be too risky to start machining before that PCB is fully tested).

All the challenges aside, each "Thing" is quite a small miracle, and I do look forward to being able to send you all a Thing soon :bow:

Tgwnn

Jump straight to my next post here

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Time for a photo......

IMG_6439_zpsegbqo36u.jpg

A "Thing" is hiding under the yellow/orange square ;)

Tgwnn

p.s. Jump to my next update here

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Such a tease!

Sorry th8tredude :D

Want to give myself at least a chance to have a first model ready to ship (before I get too flattered with clones).

The thing in the photo, was made & assembled just over a year ago!

Tgwnn

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! That's tiny! True to the nature of all MBI products... Guy makes them small, so we can buy lots of them Things.

Do make lots! :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! That's tiny! True to the nature of all MBI products... Guy makes them small, so we can buy lots of them Things.

Do make lots! :)

Thanks jonwkng,

Sure hoping to make enough. :twothumbs

I am personally looking forward to seeing the laser engraving as it is very very small.
Well within the resolution of the laser, just hope it will be visible.

Tgwnn

Newguy2012

Enlightened

what the heck?! Is that a fully assemble thing? Does that thing use an oled? That's the smallest light footprint I've seen. It could be you just have very large hands.:laughing:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow. That is a small thing. I guess the shipping costs will be reasonable. :popcorn:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

what the heck?! Is that a fully assemble thing? Does that thing use an oled? That's the smallest light footprint I've seen. It could be you just have very large hands.:laughing:

Hi Newguy2012,

Yes fully assembled.

For the record, I think my hands are at most medium, definitely not huge :D

Wow. That is a small thing. I guess the shipping costs will be reasonable. :popcorn:

Hi Str8stroke,
The envelope will likely be the heaviest part of the package :crackup:

Thing-Ultimate is a monster by comparison!!
....but still small ;)

Tgwnn

TEEJ

Flashaholic

That's a wee thing there.

(Is Wee one of the model names yet, if not, really?)

We might need microscopes to see your next line of lights. Heck, soon, there won't room for a photon to get stuffed in there, and you'll need electrons and positrons to power it...one of each.

crap, I figured out what's under there...contact lenses that illuminate whatever you are looking at, and adjust the beam based upon your pupil dilation!

Ah HA!

Don't worry, I won't tell anyone until I officially review the beta.

:D

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a wee thing there.

(Is Wee one of the model names yet, if not, really?)

We might need microscopes to see your next line of lights. Heck, soon, there won't room for a photon to get stuffed in there, and you'll need electrons and positrons to power it...one of each.

crap, I figured out what's under there...contact lenses that illuminate whatever you are looking at, and adjust the beam based upon your pupil dilation!

Ah HA!

Don't worry, I won't tell anyone until I officially review the beta.

Hi TEEJ,

Your assessments are always so good :thumbsup:
I did actually have to review photons in the creation of "Thing".
After my research, I discovered that humans are not great at detecting a single photon but cramming more of them into a shorter space of time, certainly improves the odds of perception. A good number of photons in a short burst, or a lower number in several nanosecond spaced bursts seems to be ok too.

and if I snip out a specific part of your sentence, it can be used in the "Thing" description :D

Tgwnn

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Hi TEEJ,

Your assessments are always so good :thumbsup:
I did actually have to review photons in the creation of "Thing".
After my research, I discovered that humans are not great at detecting a single photon but cramming more of them into a shorter space of time, certainly improves the odds of perception. A good number of photons in a short burst, or a lower number in several nanosecond spaced bursts seems to be ok too.

and if I snip out a specific part of your sentence, it can be used in the "Thing" description :D

Tgwnn

I thought so!

BTW - the photon multiplication routine was one of my very first real jobs in science......Waaay back in the 1970's...I managed a photomultiplier lab. We made stuff for space exploration, and devices that could see in the blackness of a miles deep oil drill hole, etc.

The art of having one photon hit one side of a dynode, and emit a lot more of them out the other side...which in turn hit another dynode, and so on...until you had images.

Lately, I'm more fascinated by the way photons positrons and electrons just pop into existence if you have otherwise empty spacetime....and how its accelerating the expansion of the universe at the moment.

I mean, stuff, IE: matter and energy, as a product of having time, and space.

How cool is that, all we need is an infinite amount of time, and an infinite amount of space, and it MAKES matter and energy.

I think my next project will be a way to harness that.

:poof:
:candle:

THIS universe might not have the room I need though...and the others are SOOO far away.

sigh

I may need to outsource someone to make a smaller version of a universe, maybe in titanium?

Sounds like a job for MBI!

Last edited:

Prepped

Enlightened

Yas. Yassssss.

Anything in that form factor made by Guy is going to be fantastic.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought so!

BTW - the photon multiplication routine was one of my very first real jobs in science......Waaay back in the 1970's...I managed a photomultiplier lab. We made stuff for space exploration, and devices that could see in the blackness of a miles deep oil drill hole, etc.

The art of having one photon hit one side of a dynode, and emit a lot more of them out the other side...which in turn hit another dynode, and so on...until you had images.

Lately, I'm more fascinated by the way photons positrons and electrons just pop into existence if you have otherwise empty spacetime....and how its accelerating the expansion of the universe at the moment.

I mean, stuff, IE: matter and energy, as a product of having time, and space.

How cool is that, all we need is an infinite amount of time, and an infinite amount of space, and it MAKES matter and energy.

I think my next project will be a way to harness that.

:poof:
:candle:

That must have been a nice electron shower!

In a very loose way, "Thing" bends time and space to create an illusion of photon multiplication ~~~)))
which for practical purposes, is as good as (maybe better LOL)

Tgwnn

p.s. when you get the time machine worked out, please let me know which version of the Torpedo X PCB is the production version and I'll skip everything in between ;)

koopa

Newly Enlightened

I'm in for a thing or two! Excited to see what this is exactly!

easilyled

Flashaholic

I'm beginning to suspect thing of being a mini-laser.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

That must have been a nice electron shower!

In a very loose way, "Thing" bends time and space to create an illusion of photon multiplication ~~~)))
which for practical purposes, is as good as (maybe better LOL)

Tgwnn

p.s. when you get the time machine worked out, please let me know which version of the Torpedo X PCB is the production version and I'll skip everything in between ;)

There will be no time machine, so, I'm afraid you'll need to follow your normal? developmental cycle.

So far, I can only look back at what already happened by observing the emission spectra given off at the time that used to be the present.

Things in a state that have not yet emitted observable spectra are not observable until after they have been in that state.

Tachyonic detection would reduce the lag time, albeit not the chronology.

We ARE starting to detect some anomalies in spectra potentially associated with another universe's emissions just reaching us, the Plank Telescope data is being crunched world wide, and its really eye opening...especially when overlayed with data from the other missions.

So, assuming The Thing is a really small flashlight...and that it won't actually illuminate other universes, at least not in Beta form....that other stuff will have to wait a bit for confirmation/final production versions.

I AM 100% confident that The Thing WILL be able to illuminate selected areas of OUR universe though.

Latest posts