McCulloch X990 Field Report

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's addtional pics

X990 Album

Its time to talk about what light can really do in the outside world. Pictures can really tell a story, if they are exposed properly. The first pair of pictures show the same light at different exposures

exposurecomparison.jpg

This next set of 10 pics compare the X990 to some well known lights, including the Brinkman 1mil cp hand held spotlight. The stop sign is 690 feet away, the chain link fence, another 110 beyond

telecomparison.jpg

Its quite obvious that a 35 watt HID lamp is many times more powerful than a 100w halogen H3 (brinkman), or any other handheld flashlight. Oddly, when shown against a white wall at short distance (6 feet) one can see lots of rings and shadows, but at longer distances, it looks great to me

The beam angle is adjustable by rotating the yellow ring on the head, I guestimate the range to be 10 deg (narrow) to 20 deg (wide). McCulloch has not indicated if the production units will/will not have a greater range. In comparison, the M6 is appx a 6 degree beam, and a Surefire 6p with an old style T turbo head 3 degree. With as much output that this thing has, one need not "spot" it down to acheive an artifically inflated candle power rating like the Streamlights US.

Light output wise, very powerful... color temperature is also more towards sunlight. I noted in another topic that the prototype contains an Phillips D2s 35 watt bulb. Production units will contains a McCulloch manufatured bulb, with higher output and an even higher color temperature.

The ballast has also been redesigned (can't talk about something I haven't seen)

Someone else described the X990 as "dumbell" in appearence. The unit is actually very well balanced. Using the shoulder strap, it was very easy to hold, and maintain the its position. I could easily fix the lights position, and by droping my arm to my side, I was able to secure the lights position, in a very easily maintained posture

InTheDark

Enlightened
Mr Ted Bear,
Is the casting call still open? I just saw the post yesterday after being out of town for a while, so I hope I'm not too late to respond.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
ted, how much is it going to sell for? i know you posted 465.00 or so(can't remember) has any thing changed?. thanks,josh

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Extremely impressive. We are seeing the beginnings of the revolutionary future of portable lighting.

One thing that I noticed: the M6 250 and the M6 500 seem almost identical. Any chance that one of them was repeated by mistake?

Brightnorm

Kenny Yum

Newly Enlightened
If use LSI RC-3800 is it so powerful? RC-3800 use Hyper Halogen lamp(3800k) some white beam, it can shine how many feet can see full light? The photo show the light X990
narrow can shine 690 feet away can see full white light, is it poweful than RC-3800 or Maxa Beam?
confused.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josh

The current number is $460, though I understand that the suggested retail has gone up to $499. I was told that McCulloch would honor $460 to CPF members (includes shipping and handeling)in the "beginning".

So far, I have only said nice things about this light. I do have some gripes, but I am waiting for an emial from Taiwan in response to some of my concerns/suggestions. Unfortunately, the "sales" people here in the USA has been kept in the dark with regard to changes and modifications. Major issues include 1) water resistance 2)ability to use external power source (currently, the power adapters only charge the batteries and a few other odd and ends

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm

You noticed the same thing, that I did... the shots were not duplicated as Kenshiro was with me; we used my M6 with 250, and his M6 with 500.

Give me a chance, and I will post the "wide angle" version of the same shots, and the differece is quite apparent; no so much that the 500lu is brighter, but that it illuminates a much greater area than the 250lu.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kenny

Unfortunately, I do not have any LSI products to compare the X990 to, so I can't comment. I would guess that the X990 compares more closely to the MAXABEAM as both are HID's. In the words of PK at Surefire, probably not a lot of difference, as they use similar bulbs (referring to the BEAST) and the competition XENONICS, the other HID that I know of

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
I would guess that the X990 compares more closely to the MAXABEAM as both are HID's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Mexabeam uses 75W Xenon Short ARC lamp and has 2 degree beam. Maxabeam should be able to throw a lot farther. However, with the huge price difference, I'll definitely go for X990. Do they have estimated release date?

Alan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
Brightnorm

You noticed the same thing, that I did... the shots were not duplicated as Kenshiro was with me; we used my M6 with 250, and his M6 with 500.

Give me a chance, and I will post the "wide angle" version of the same shots, and the differece is quite apparent; no so much that the 500lu is brighter, but that it illuminates a much greater area than the 250lu.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, thanks

BN

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darn, now I want one...

Ditto that. Odd looking it may be, but wowee! what a powerful thing it is.
shocked.gif

I still want a Maxabeam more than anything else in the world (well, asides food, water and oxygen of course
tongue.gif
), but it`ll just have to wait. Hey, maybe when these things are out, the price of used MBs will drop as the demand drops too.......

...hmm...it`s nice to dream
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Brightnorm

Try this out...the Wide Angle Album
TedBear's Photo Albums
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ted B,

As you said,the wide angle shots clearly show the M6 500/250 difference.

The McCulloch beam is extraordinary, almost like a ray from the "Mother Ship"!

Brightnorm

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there is now 4 albums for this light...I'm done.

Actually, wouldn't you know it... Friday was a national holiday in Taiwan, so no answers from McCulloch till Sunday afternoon (Monday in Taiwan).

Any way I look at, I will end up owning one of these lights, either by "trading" a short video, or having to buy it. It's a great light for McCulloch's first atttempt, and the fact it is 1/3 of the $ than any other HID's on the market, means its only one that I don't need, but can afford
grin.gif
grin.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Delivery... I don't even want to say... First I was told end of March... then I was told there were in transit, with but only a few days to clear customs. Then I was told the first shipment went to McCulloch Pacific Rim - Australia.

I have been told no later than the end of April. The 26th to be exact... The CEO for is supposed to be coming to visit the LA office from Taiwan.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
mcCulloch USA has received confirmation that the first shipment of the X990 is leaving Taiwan April 20th via ocean going container. Also, a small quantity will be sent Air Freight at the same time.

Regarding the use of the X990 with a cigarette lighter adapter... well, not ideal, but the set up will use a "dummy battery" setup, instead of pluging in directly to the light