McGizmo Lunasol 20 update: LS20 "Point 1, 2, & 3"

bamahabir

Newly Enlightened
Hey Tim, your work is amazing! I sent you a pm but haven't heard back anything, I'd like to do a mod for my Lunasol 20. Lemme know! Thanks!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Tim, your work is amazing! I sent you a pm but haven't heard back anything, I'd like to do a mod for my Lunasol 20. Lemme know! Thanks!

bamahabir, Thank you! I will be sending you another PM this evening. I had tried to reply yesterday but the server was busy after pressing send.

A few of the new XP-L emitters came in the mail from IllumN and I couldn't resist using one in place of the hCRI XP-G2 before going to bed last night. I'm impressed with this emitter :thumbsup: The hole in the bezel opening had to be enlarged for the larger dome and the heatsink needed to be milled a tad to allow more depth of mounting. Another member is having this same set-up performed on his light this afternoon. He had requested using an XM-L2 originally but it was an extremely tight fit. The XP-L will allow about the same output but will require less room and give more spacing between the reflector and emitter holes in the bezel which looks nicer in my opinion.

photobucket-11702-1403288996401.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one is ready to ship out tomorrow morning. The owner wanted a polished bezel. I also talked him into using a 4000k XP-L over the XM-L2, again because of the limited space inside. The reflector has a 5000k XP-G2 and both emitters now have 4 levels.

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim,
Hope things are going OK. Just wanted to check in and see if you received my PM and or email.
Thanks,
Scott

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tim,

Is it possible to program the driver into 2x1 modes (low/high in flood, single in reflector)?

And is there a led combination, available to you, such that both flood and beam are warm white high cri (3500-4500K range)?

Thanks,
Anton

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was away from CPF for a while and have further refined some processes of the LS20.3 modification.
The drivers used are still the same 4 mode option and are not able to be programmed.
Emitters used are per customer request and preferred color temp of the individual.

Being that technology has progressed in the last few years, I'll have to search around to see if there are other options for newer, programmable drivers available that will fit within the confines of the driver cavity that allow the set screw to still fit.

Different bezel material options are available as well like the Superconductor shown here.
Cost of this option will vary depending on material and, complexity of machining of that material.

ipreferpie

Newly Enlightened
Hey Tim, it's been a while since your last post. Are you still offering this mod? Hoping to change up my 20.1 to 20.3 if possible. Thanks!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, TM is still doing good things. He has a facebook page, TM Design and Fabrication.

He just posted what looks like a three-up head for McGizmo's. Not a carclo triple, but in line with what he's already posted here.

PS: I'm sort of shocked that his photobucket account is still active. There was a huge backlash because they greatly increased their pricing, and stopped any free services. I had a paid account with them, and still lost hundreds of linked photos both here, and on a watch forum I frequent. It was a mess, I ended up going with ImageShack. Not a great move, because their software is really buggy, but it seems to work.

~D