• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don: You ever see a Manta Ray around the homestead? Those things are neat!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Brian,
I saw a good size manta swim under the boat I was on once but that has been all. A manta and whale shark are two of the big fish I hope to see some day.

Well back to topic, I really didn't want to leave Maui with 90% of the Ti PD components in my luggage and a failure to build over here. As a result, I have extended my departure date by two weeks and in communication with the machine shop, hope to build some of these dang things next week, after the 4th. With that in mind, the plan is to open an order thread on July 8th. I still haven't figured out how to deal with some options in bins but have decided to place a Poll to get some input and feel for weighted preferences. There is no way I will approach this Ti program or the later one with an open, build to bin, one at a time, order process. I plan to pre build a number of these in a couple bin selections and then offer them up for sale on the 8th of July.

More info and some comments:

The driver is a new one of Wayne's, the GDx2. It is a buck/ boost driver that should be a bit more efficient than the wiz2x2. It does have an interesting quirk in that on initial power up, it drives the LED at probably around 100 mA for a very short blast until it setles in on the current level of low set by the resistor. This means that there is a low power flash at the instant of turning on in low. The intensity and duration is not enough to adversely effect your night adaptation and it may actually aid in initial target acquisition. In the spirit of full disclosure, I bring this interesting quirk up.

I have conveyed my plans here but they are not based 100% on reality as I still do not have all parts in hand. The plan is subject to change for this reason.

There is another Ti program in the works which should come to fruition but I have no idea of when. This is a Ti PD that consists of a 27L head as opposed to the original PD head used here and in previous PD lights. The next program is a McLuxIII Ti PD-27L. This is also a single CR123 light and will use the GDx2 driver but likely set at higher current levels than this Ti PD. The head of the Ti PD-27L has no bezel ring. The sapphire window is retained by an O-ring instead.

The target price on the Ti PD is $425 and I will confirm this price once I receive the final parts and certainly in the order thread I post on the 8th (if all goes as anticipated). The target price on the Ti PD-27L is $450 but this target is not as firm given much that is still only vapor!! Both lights will have H3 vials in the piston and Ti clips.

On a final note, these Ti lights do have removable converters as well as LED heat sinks and optics. There is always the possibility of modification and future improvements but no implied or offered exchange or upgrade by me. The GDx2 has a low voltage drop off below that required of a non protected Li-Ion cell so the lights should only be planned as hosts to CR123 as well as protected R123 cells.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
McGizmo said:
Brian,
... With that in mind, the plan is to open an order thread on July 8th. ...

Feel free to sleep in that day... I have my open water diving certification class from morning until afternoon. :mecry:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I am on Maui time so this will not be first thing for mainland time zones!! I also don't expect that these lights will all be spoken for in any guick rush! :shrug:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...well, I'd sure like ta be speakin' fer one right now but then, who woulda known that??!! They'll be worth the wait.....

Karl

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
>> :lolsign:

I agree. I think these will go like hotcakes. Count me in to camp by the computer on Thursday 8th.

Don: Will the Ti-PD's have new style Ti clips or the old? And will you be selling the 27L heads in both separate and in complete units?

(So, in theory, I could purchase a Ti-PD and a 27L head :naughty: ...)

Last edited:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
bmstrong said:
>> :lolsign:

I agree. I think these will go like hotcakes. Count me in to camp by the computer on Thursday 8th.

Don: Will the Ti-PD's have new style Ti clips or the old? And will you be selling the 27L heads in both separate and in complete units?

(So, in theory, I could purchase a Ti-PD and a 27L head :naughty: ...)

Thursday the 8th? You trying to throw the rest of us off B? :D

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>Thursday the 8th? You trying to throw the rest of us off B?

:sssh:

Thursday *COUGH* June *COUGH* 8th *COUGH*, right?

:naughty:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
bmstrong said:
>>Thursday the 8th? You trying to throw the rest of us off B?

:sssh:

Thursday *COUGH* June *COUGH* 8th *COUGH*, right?

:naughty:

OH YEAH thats RIGHT!!! :D :naughty:

Jurphaas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pics and the updates Don. BTW, have a very happy 4th of July! A long dive with Friendly would really be a fitting celebration of the day.
Go, Don, go! Eat your heart out.
Jurphaas.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am ready, i cant wait for this chance! Paypal locked and loaded! Something like this should come in a silk lined box made of ivory. Ill settle for cardboard and bubble wrap though!