• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

"McR- xx" Reflectors

colterbay2005

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a couple McR-18 from the shoppe this weekend and I plan to use them in place of the optic in my new Princeton Tec APEX headlamp......I tried using a reflector out of my McLuxIIIPD but it was too tall but I think that the McR-18 will be a perfect fit and great upgrade for the APEX.

Daniel.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I caught Xochi's question and since I have two Fennix lights and a few McR-18 reflectors, I took the chalenge of testing viability. Interestingly, the McR-18 probably couldn't have been beter sized as a drop in. It does fit and is the same height as the stock reflector. With the one I modded, it would seem that the LED is a "joker". This results in a noticibly larger spot and less contrast between the spot and corona due to a more gradual transition. Now that I think back, the light I modded had a slightly larger spot than the other light I left alone and it may be that I was seeing the difference between a joker and non Joker in the Fenix light. :thinking: OK, I'll mod the other on and see if my suspicion is correct........

Don't even think about asking for beam shots! :nana:

EDIT: OK, I tried to get the other light apart and put a McR-18 in it and it was a no go. I ended up holding the head in a collet on my lathe and using a parallel pliers on the flats of the body to break the head free from the body. That was fine but the light engine does not want to come out and I can't waste any more time on this.

If someone is interested in swapping reflectors, I would state that yes, the exchange is easy provided you can easily take your Fennix apart. :shrug:

Last edited:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent! Thanks alot , Don. I've already got the heatsink out (it was a nightmare) so now I think I'll order one dem flectors.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi said:
Excellent! Thanks alot , Don. I've already got the heatsink out (it was a nightmare) so now I think I'll order one dem flectors.

I've tried to drop on it and it seems the 18 is just a tad too big. it goes in
but then stops at the threads. :(

McGizmo

Flashaholic
4Sevens,

Uh Oh, sounds like some tolerance or dimensional variations here that may not be friendly?!?! In the one I have that came apart, the McR-18 dropped straight down. :shrug: I was real surprised when I wen to try the other Fenix and had to wrench the head off and the light engine will not budge. It looks like the old YMMV is well in place on this mod.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
Sway,
If I did a 52 mm reflector the way I would want it for a LED, the Mag bezel would need to be replaced with a much deeper one! :D

i'm in for both

hmmm... Mag 2C, UCL, nFlex, o-sink, WXOS, McR-52, McMagBezel, 3xRCR123..
:drool:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,
I just received my McR-18. It is a beautiful little reflector! I also just read 4sevens post about it stopping at the threads and my heart sank. So, I just tried it in a Fenix L1 that I bought from 4sevens and it fit perfectly! Of course, since I destroyed the LE during removal of the heatsink, I couldn't try it out but even without light it really looks gorgeous in the Fenix. When I initially dropped in the flector it did stop at the threads but with a little fiddling and no force, it dropped the rest of the way in.

I believe that the version L1 that I bought from 4sevens is a 2.5 but I could be wrong. I managed to find a 2.0 L1P that I'm hoping isn't potted that will be the home for the McR-18. It would be nice to know if the variances are more prone to certain models/versions of the fenix or particular runs of the McR-18 (mine I just received from the Shoppe).

Xochi

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Xochi,
I think you mean McR-18. The reflector vendor has been real good on tolerances and this issue with the Fenix is the first I have heard of where a reflector fits in one light and not in another. It is quite possible that both the reflector and the Fenix are within their tolerance range but the two ranges have an interference zone.

It may be that a little sandpaper is required in some cases. :shrug:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
:oops:, yeah, I meant McR-18!

I also meant what I said about it being really beautiful just sitting in the Fenix. If the beam profile is similar to the 20 AND all the other ifs of this project come out the way they I hope then I just might be getting close to my perfect EDC. "Might" and "close" being the key words. With this in mind, I think Moby **** might be an appropriate name for this modded fenix, if it works out.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
For those who don't favor the squarish beam of the latest KL1, the McR20 is a virtual "drop-in." (Providing you can get it apart. :naughty: I've been sucessful twice. :) ) They can either be cut-down a little or a 1/2" long bezel ring can be made to put them in early L1 heads. If anybody remembers the two years I spent mastering the turning-down of optics............... :stupid:

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
:crackup:

OK Larry, shall we have a "stupid contest"? Nah, we can both claim the title! :grin2:

:stupid:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hey, plick,

I just look at the BEAMS! my EDC is gonna get an upgrade to a U-bin and a cut-down McR something-or-other in the near future! :nana:

Larry

Illuminated

Enlightened
Hi guys - just thought I'd chime in for a minute...

I bought a McR20 some time ago with no particular host in mind. I recently realized I never use the original head supplied with my VIP because I didn't care for the Fraen or the IMS beam patterns with it.

So...on a pit stop home between business trips, I threw it into the lathe and shortened it from the wide end - and viola! What a beautiful beam!

Now I'm using it frequently - and I love it. I've since downloaded the PDF files on all the McRxx reflectors and will hopefully have some time to see what else is possible for other lights I'd like to use more. Funny, though...not a Mini-Mag in the bunch...

Nice work with those reflectors Don!

John

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
So does anyone have a beamshot of a Lux3 in a McR19?

Don, does the .06" offset apply to regular or "joker" emitters?

Jon

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Of course :D

LuxIII in McR-19
McR-19LuxIII.jpg

LuxV in McR-19:
McLux19LuxVbeam.jpg

Some other shots of this unusual reflector:

McR-19 vs. L4:
McR-19LuxVvsL4.jpg

McR-19 vs McR-20:
McR-19vsMcR-20.jpg

Cree and Nichia:
Cree-Nichia-Beam.jpg

No matter what you put in there ... you'll get a relatively even concentrated flood beam with not much hotspot. Very cool.

bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Jon,
the offset does not relate to the joker. you presumeably could go to a .045" offset with a joker for alignment. I believe Bernhards beam shots are with no offset at all though?!?! The McR-19 works real nice with the Seoul LED as well.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don & Bernie, thanks!!!

I don't know anything about the Seoul LED's - are they a sort of generic Luxeon? I remain fixated on the Lux3 now that "U" bins are available.

I kinda like Kiessling's beamshot. It remindes me (a little) of the NX-05's beam when used with the original low dome Lux1. The benefit here, of course, is the uniform tint.

Hmmm, wonder what an A19 head looks like on a E2e-BK. :)

Jon

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
colterbay2005 said:
I ordered a couple McR-18 from the shoppe this weekend and I plan to use them in place of the optic in my new Princeton Tec APEX headlamp......I tried using a reflector out of my McLuxIIIPD but it was too tall but I think that the McR-18 will be a perfect fit and great upgrade for the APEX.

Daniel.

Have you tried it yet? I'm interested in this mod. I'm just not an optic person and that Apex needs a better photon management system.

Bob_G

Enlightened
Jon,

My experience with the A19 in flood mode (not shimmed in other words) is that you definitely want some power to it - say 700mA with a U-bin. It "spreads" the available light over the entire beam, so very different than what people are used to. In other words, with a lower powered LE it seems quite dim.

Mine has a BB500 LuxV, but I've also experimented with a DB700 U-bin LuxIII, and I have to say it has the most useful low I've ever seen with either. It's one of my 2 or 3 favorite lights.

colterbay2005

Newly Enlightened
CM,

Yes I have tried it. I first tried to fit the McR-20 (the same one used in the PD) but it was too tall and I could not put the face back on the light....so I thought that the McR-18 would work since it is said to be a good replacement for the NX05 optic. The APEX has what I thought was a typical NX05...but I was wrong, the APEX uses a larger and taller optic than the typical NX05.

So in summary...The McR-20 is too tall but otherwise a perfect fit, a beautiful beam though. The McR-18 is too small and will need to be glued in place because the face of the APEX alone will not keep it in place. But again the McR-18 does produce a beautiful beam.

Solution:

I think that my next step will be the following: use the "too tall" McR-20, use some longer screws, and find a thick sheet of pliable plastic or rubber (any suggestions) that I can cut out to use as a spacer/seal between the face and the backing, thus making up for the difference due to the taller reflector and also retain the waterproofness of the light.

Well none of that probably made a bit of sense....basically the McR-18 is not the perfect, easy swap I expected becasue the APEX optic is not yer typical NX05.

I'm very open to any suggestions.....I really don't care too much for the beam of the APEX and I probably won't even use it until I can make a switch for a better reflector and beam. On the OFF-TOPIC: The 4AA battery case is the best headlamp batt case I know of....would be a good way to power up some kind of WIZ-2/aleph/headlamp configuration.

Daniel.