• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

"McR- xx" Reflectors

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
McR-8-3mm.jpg

Gives me a woody.
Don, next time you are messing around with your drawings, would you mind adding this one to your linked index of pdf files for the other McR-XX series.
Also, I am wondering if this one is derived from the McR-19 curve. Thx

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Doug,

I added PDF's for the McR-8 in inch and metric dimensions to the reflector directory. This reflector as with the McR-19 has its focal point aft and outside of the reflector but it has a significantly shorter focal length than the 19.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
Hi Doug,

I added PDF's for the McR-8 in inch and metric dimensions to the reflector directory. This reflector as with the McR-19 has its focal point aft and outside of the reflector but it has a significantly shorter focal length than the 19.

Thanks Don.
:thinking:
Scratching head wondering if there will ever be a McR-9.5 :)

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I edit this post after don's post below, which makes his post not actually referring to this post as it stands now.

I divided the parabolic reflectors into four groups after focal length:

1: Pelican reflector, modified pelican reflector, McR27, McR38 and McR45 share the longest focal distance.

2: McR16,18, 20 and 27L have the second longest focal distance.

3: McR19 has the second shortest focal distance.

4: McR8 is a has the shortest focal distance.

McR19 Flood is a cone like the man says below.

Below is all I decided to keep from the original post:
Are the formula(s) and focal distances secret?

/OT/ Do the IMS17, 20 and 27 use the same focal distance (which is?) and formula? Are they true parabolas?
Same question for the mag solitair, AAA, AA and C/D? /OT/

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
1) correct
2) parabolic curves; not modified parabola (aside from orange peel which is indeed a modification.
3) McR-19 is parabolic with short focal length and image behind rear of reflector. McR-19 flood is not parabolic; straight taper and straight sections
4) correct

focal lengths are recipie I choose not to share.

no idea on other reflectors

Geogecko

Enlightened
Don, where do you get your lenses used on the PD? Aren't those saphire crystal or something? Or is it just regular UCL? Is it the 22.8mm size that is used in the PD? Do you know what the thickness of the lens is?

Do you think I could use the same size lens and bezel that is used on the PD, with your 19mm reflector (not actually in the PD, because I know they are different lengths) as far as holding everything in place?

Sorry for all the questions.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Geogecko, the A-19, Aleph2 and PD can all use the sapphire window. The design calls out for a 2 mm thick window which both the sapphire and extra clear soda-lime(2xAR) windows are.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Don.

I had recently trying to mod the McR 8 to work with either a 5mm or a lux in a AAA host, and the first one failed misserably(failed to make it work with the cut SMJ, then failed again to make it work with the lux). :green:

Regardless how I position my lux or 5mm, the beamshot seems to be a little similar with a NX05/Carclo 6...which there is a small hotspot surrounding by a dimmer corona, then followed by a ring of dark and a ring of light at the outter circle. I am guessing the reflector is focusing the photons that hit it into the hotspot, but then there are some light 'escaping' the reflector surface and projected forward(which was the ring of brightness at the outter end)

Now, before I damaged more perfectly good McR 8(don't want more sacrafice made in the name of science), has anyone mod the reflector to accept cut SMJ or lux with good success? What could I possibly done wrong in the process of modding it? Thanks in advance! :bow:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The 8 mm has such a short focal length that any of these die images are going to be huge relative to it and have much light that is not colimated but divergent since it is originating away from the focal point of the reflector. That focal point is slightly behind the rear of the reflector. If you are bringing the image up into the reflector, you are way out of alignment. Can't cheat physics here and the tiny 8 mm is tiny!!! It is best suited for real small SMD dies or the 3 mm package. In any case, the colimated portion of the beam will be very small in size.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
The 8 mm has such a short focal length that any of these die images are going to be huge relative to it and have much light that is not colimated but divergent since it is originating away from the focal point of the reflector. That focal point is slightly behind the rear of the reflector. If you are bringing the image up into the reflector, you are way out of alignment. Can't cheat physics here and the tiny 8 mm is tiny!!! It is best suited for real small SMD dies or the 3 mm package. In any case, the colimated portion of the beam will be very small in size.

Thanks for that Don. I bought some MCR8 for fun and haven`t played with them yet. I missed Physics that day I guess :huh2: but maybe I can make these work anyway!:shrug: Maybe?:rolleyes: But I`m going to try!:)

Ken

AuroraLite

Enlightened
McMaster,

Thank you for the reply, it makes more sense now why the attempt to make the focus by shifting up the lux/5mm into the reflector failed miserably! I remembered you have mentioned once about using this in junction with a bright Nichia 3mm(and seen that great little keychain light on your site, which btw, will you ever considering offering it? Consider this post as my sign in!), but I will do some digging to find out. :)

I will experiment more about the cut and uncut SMJ with the 8mm, while having the focal point you have mentioned in mind. Hope something fruitful will come from it. Meanwhile, I know this could the perfect reflector for a new upcoming mod part offering and I will share my data here soon.

Kenster,

If you ever get it to work, please by all means enlight me! :popcorn:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
AuroraLite, Will do! That reflecter was kind of forgot about by me.:oops: To many projects to play with I guess but this was a remimber of the little Mcr8. All of Don`s reflecters work fantastic when the are focused right and I am sure this one is no dfferent. :rock: I`ll PM you with what I put together.:) I`d like to hear what you come up with as well. I love to see a good Mod.:grin2:

Ken

clarky

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know if either the McR 16 or 18 will fit into a FF3 without too much trouble?

Latest posts