measuring electricity usage device...

MrMimizu

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure I read about this device you could
plug into the wall and then plug your appliances into the device, and then it would show you what the electricity consumption for that device is.
I've done a search for "kilowatt" and yet find nothing, even went as far as 2003.

I think someone was selling them or telling us where we could get them. I think the price was 'round $35USD.

Does anyone know what the heck i'm talking about? I'm pretty sure this wasn't some weird fantasy of mine.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Also, I'd like to know where i can get one now and how much it's going for.

Thanks

Zackerty

Enlightened
We have a device in New Zealand, called a Cent-a meter, but it only measures 230/240 volts. I will find out more for you, if you want, and if it is available where you are.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
There is a device called a "Kill A Watt". You plug it into any three-prong 110-125 volts AC receptacle, and plug the device under test into it.
It measures AC voltage, current consumption, watts, frequency, KWh, VA, and power factor.
Maximum current consumption of the device under test is 15 amps.

The web URL is http://www.p3international.com

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Ah..Kill A Watt was the one i was thinking of. Litfuse seems to have gotten a bunch of people interested in buying one a while back.
For $30, its a good price for a mildy curious like me. The one Snakebite posted looks good but i don't really want to spend that much for something i'll just be playing with.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kat- I have both, and you are right on the money. The Watt's Up adds some features like peak draw and also tells you the dollars and cents without the user having to "do the math", but the bang/buck ratio can't be beat with the KAW unit. It's really an awesome little device for the money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looked at the KAW product a long while back but I think it was more expensive then. For $30, I just place an order.