MecArmy PT16: 3 x XP-G2, 1000 lumens, 16340-cell, micro-usb; (beam)shots, comparison

khuago

Newly Enlightened
no 18350 :( what shame. 10440 will be even worse then 16340. not sure how 14500 compares and 18650 well thats not that unique but will be the brightest

Yeah I agree. the 18350 is the most ideal EDC size. Compact & powerful at the same time.
I recently purchased an Astolux s43 which has both 18350 & 18650. Looking for something similar.

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
Yes the PT16 fits 18350 cells that are UNprotected. Protected 18350 cells do not fit, they are too long.

On left is an 18350 rated 750 mAh, on right is a Protected 16340 rated 700 mAh. Note they are the same length. The 18350 has 7% more capacity, so 7% longer runtime, IF you dont use Turbo. So if runtime on a given lumen level was 4 hours w 16340, you would get an extra 17 minutes with the higher capacity 18350.

as you can see, the PT18 head, fits the PT16 battery tube. This is true for all the PT series, the heads lego, to any of the other battery tubes.

fwiw, I just did a test of the two batteries pictured, fully charged, initial lumens on Turbo
450 lumens from the 18350
456 lumens from the 16340

note this light is modified to N219b 4000k 9050, so its output is less than factory spec using stock Low CRI XP-G2
its a homebrew meter, so the numbers are mainly only relevant for comparison to each other.. same light, same meter, only the battery is different

choice of battery is personal preference
unprotected batteries wont suddently leave you in the dark, but if you fall asleep with the light on, the PT16 can overdischarge them.
protected batteries wont be overdischarged, but they can turn off suddenly, and that can be inconvenient if you aren't carrying a spare.

IMR tolerates overdischarge better than ICR
there are IMR cells available rated for 1000mAh, whereas ICR tend to fall in the 700mAh range..

so potentially, IMR can give longer runtime, albeit unprotected
I use an AW 18350 in my PT16, definitely more runtime than the typical 16340.

Good to know that the PT18 head fits on the body... very cool.

The N219B mod is a cool idea. Was it a difficult mod?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an AW 18350 in my PT16, definitely more runtime than the typical 16340.

Good to know that the PT18 head fits on the body... very cool.

The N219B mod is a cool idea. Was it a difficult mod?

the 219b mod was done by a friend
I think it was relatively simple
at least it was for me.. mail, wait, receive :)

enjoy your PT-16, it has some of the best regulation of any light I own.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love mine and have both the 16 & 18 but they always cut their way out of any pocket I try carrying them in!

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
the 219b mod was done by a friend
I think it was relatively simple
at least it was for me.. mail, wait, receive :)

enjoy your PT-16, it has some of the best regulation of any light I own.
lol. Thanks, I actually do really like the PT16. Only edc'd it once but I'm considering carrying it more often than just as part of the rotation. I just wish for a more neutral white.

I do have to say that I notice the tension in the rear spring is such that it does dig into my 18350's a bit leaving a round circle on the bottom. :thinking: I have a few lights that do the same but I also have some with more sensitive springs that leave less of a mark.

One question for those familiar with the clip: does anyone know if this it's an Allen or Torx? My clip is coming undone but I don't seem to have the appropriate wrench for it.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol. Thanks, I actually do really like the PT16. Only edc'd it once but I'm considering carrying it more often than just as part of the rotation. I just wish for a more neutral white.

I do have to say that I notice the tension in the rear spring is such that it does dig into my 18350's a bit leaving a round circle on the bottom. :thinking: I have a few lights that do the same but I also have some with more sensitive springs that leave less of a mark.

One question for those familiar with the clip: does anyone know if this it's an Allen or Torx? My clip is coming undone but I don't seem to have the appropriate wrench for it.

Clip?????

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
Mine have no clip.

I did not think they offered one?
They started offering it on the 2017 version apparently.

Google is your friend, click and learn the Power of Google Fu! :)
teach a man to fish...
Yes, Google is the first thing I tried... but thanks anyway.

I tried searching within CPF but no information. I also checked the owner's manual and nothing listed there.

I also tried searching for "MecArmy PT-16 pocket clip screws" / "screw sizes" / "screw type" / "wrench type" in google. Found some interesting after-market clips on Etsy tho. The pocket clip is mentioned several times but there appears to be no information on the length of the screws or type of wrench required for the screws. I even checked out Youtube videos...

Hence, my query here.

EDIT: I sent a note to MecArmy directly to ask for the wrench / screw size... and will share here as I'm sure others may find this useful.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the current version does show the clip. I looked for them as an accessory but no luck there.
I had to stop carrying mine as they always cut their way out and try to escape from a pocket with those crazy crenelations?!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Google is the first thing I tried...

I should have quoted who I was replying, it was not you
I dont know what kind of screw head the clip uses, I just tried some USA allen wrenches, and it was not a match

Yes the current version does show the clip. I looked for them as an accessory but no luck there.
I had to stop carrying mine as they always cut their way out and try to escape from a pocket with those crazy crenelations?!

I received the clip as a gift from a friend, it came on a replacement tail cap.
I sanded down the crenelations, I agree they are too sharp for my taste
I also ground off the tri tail lobes, I see no need to stab myself in the hand, or pocket
3LBJXWX.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts