Melbourne CPF meet - 5th April 2008

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi people:

Hope everyone is happy and well after the silly season!

This is just a tester to guage the level of interest in having the first Melbourne CPF meet for 2008 in middle to late March.
I was thinking the saturday nights of either 15th, 22nd or 29th March.

29th March is actually the date for Earth Hour 2008. Where Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra together with a few other cities around the world will turn off any unnecessary lighting between 8pm-9pm.

Venue for the CPF meet is open for discussion, however I wanted to suggest a more central location for everyone. Thus I suggest Bell Bird Picnic Area located in Kew. Melway Ref : Map 2D, K6.

Its got a shaded table area with gas BBQ, toilet facilities and ample parking. Its also got lots of wide open spaces for comparing the throw of our lights.

Your thoughts and suggestions on this?

Thanks.

-Fusion_m8

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The first Melbourne CPF meet for 2008

Those of you who got a PM from me, I got your username from a list prepared by Grox from an earlier thread in 2007.

If anyone knows of any new members or any names I may have left out from this list, please feel free to inform them about this thread also.

Thanks.

Here's that list again:

CPFers in Melbourne and Victoria

Last edited:

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neg got the PM.

Neg is free on all three nights.

Neg likes the idea of kew!

Is much closer to neg's house than Jells Park is!

Neg also likes to talk about himself in the third person sometimes.

--neg

quokked

Enlightened

Sure :)
I'll have to go order new lights now to impress all you CPF'ers

:D

Norm

Retired Administrator

The 29th sounds like a great idea but I don't fancy travelling to Kew from Gippsland, Jells park is the better option for me. May suggest everyone comes down my way, no light pollution here, we have at least ten times the the amount of visible stars :).
Norm

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds good to me at this stage! :)

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 29th sounds like a great idea but I don't fancy travelling to Kew from Gippsland, Jells park is the better option for me. May suggest everyone comes down my way, no light pollution here, we have at least ten times the the amount of visible stars :).
Norm

Thanks for the PM Fusion_m8. By the way, I have updated the list in the original post, and there are two new additions: kiwiman3139 and steerpike999. (Perhaps deleting the list in this thread would enable the other post to be a central, accurate resource?)

I ought to be available on those dates.

Norm is right - Gippsland is better than fantastic if you like the dark - astronomy, torches etc.

Bellbird park is nice, although infested with insects (at least by my memory). Sometimes there are strange people around too, although how it is we can consider others strange with our hobby is somewhat of a mystery. It is likely that I will be there tomorrow (daytime)! I'll let you know how it is after dark if I am out late. As I recall it's a 'making-out' hotspot at night.

Bellbird park (unmarked) is the central feature easily identified by the carpark on this google map link. BBQ shelter/toilet are the white rectangles.

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whereabouts in Gippsland Norm? Any good deserted parks there?

Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator

Whereabouts in Gippsland Norm? Any good deserted parks there?
Warragul, yes there are deserted parks, walking tracks and various picnic spots around the area.
There is a nice spot as you come into Warragul with a rotunda, gas BBQ's and walking tracks also a bloody big steam train as a land mark. This would be very easy to find, it's on the main highway just before you come into town.
Perhaps some of you could get together and share cars. With the new Pakenham bypass we are about 1 hour and 10 mins. from the Melbourne CBD. Freeway all the way.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got back from Bell Bird Park... got there about 11pm to check out the place to see how suitable it is for a CPF meet at night.:devil:

Dark with lots of open spaces... that can make my 350lumen modified Surefire M4 look pretty ordinary!:ironic:

Oh yes... Grox mentioned something about Bell Bird being a hotspot for making out? BINGO!:party: During my 20 minute visit, I saw no less than 3 cars parked there with their bloody windows all fogged up! The white hiace van in particular had a really noisy couple... I could hear the sordid details more than 50m away!:sick2:

BUT...overall still a great place to hold a meet. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

I live just 3mins drive from the Forster Rd freeway entry and exits, I'm OK with the 75mins drive to Warragul, dunno about the rest tho...:thinking:

But judging from the response so far, Bell Bird seems to be the preferred location.

Warragul, yes there are deserted parks, walking tracks and various picnic spots around the area.
There is a nice spot as you come into Warragul with a rotunda, gas BBQ's and walking tracks also a bloody big steam train as a land mark. This would be very easy to find, it's on the main highway just before you come into town.
Perhaps some of you could get together and share cars. With the new Pakenham bypass we are about 1 hour and 10 mins. from the Melbourne CBD. Freeway all the way.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can we set a date? My diary is rapidly filling. Evening of the 29th of March suits me.

Geoff (Drift3r), as someone who finished school in 2003 with reasonable success I would humbly suggest that a balance between study and play is not merely desirable, but indeed essential for physical, social and mental health. One thing to keep in mind is that if you go on to higher study, academic workload increases after year 12, so learning how to manage your time is an asset.

If you have time, I would suggest you research the Yerkes-Dodson or stress performance curve and consider its implications.

Last edited:

elnero55

Newly Enlightened

hey, thanks for the PM Fusion_m8,

sounds like a great idea, i really want to meet you guys and compare my 3 torches with you guys. But sadly I'm in year 11 this year and i have no method of transport other then public.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Which suburb you in mate? I'm sure we might be able to organise some transport for you...

Those of you who may need transport, can you let us know whereabouts so we can organise some car pooling??

Thanks.

hey, thanks for the PM Fusion_m8,

sounds like a great idea, i really want to meet you guys and compare my 3 torches with you guys. But sadly I'm in year 11 this year and i have no method of transport other then public.

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems like 29th March is a good date, as we haven't had any opposition to that day so far.

So 29th March it is!

Can we set a date? My diary is rapidly filling. Evening of the 29th of March suits me.

Geoff (Drift3r), as someone who finished school in 2003 with reasonable success I would humbly suggest that a balance between study and play is not merely desirable, but indeed essential for physical, social and mental health. One thing to keep in mind is that if you go on to higher study, academic workload increases after year 12, so learning how to manage your time is an asset.

If you have time, I would suggest you research the Yerkes-Dodson or stress performance curve and consider its implications.

elnero55

Newly Enlightened

Which suburb you in mate? I'm sure we might be able to organise some transport for you...

Those of you who may need transport, can you let us know whereabouts so we can organise some car pooling??

Thanks.

thanks for the offer! i live in clayton but i can basically get anywhere with in 5km of a bus or train/tram station.

elnero55

Newly Enlightened

also i forgot to ask, if i came, would it be alright if i brought along my tech savvy electronics nerd friend? he isn't a member here and doesn't appreciate flash lights as much as we do but has told me he would be interested in coming along.