Memory Mode

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm about to change all my lights with memory modes to a non-memory mode option.
I just can't see the benefit of memory for my general EDC needs.
Maybe it's useful if I'm frequently turning on and off the light and need it to turn back on at high...other than that I prefer a mode where it always starts on the lowest.

I know, I know... but I'm a hard user that should only need turbo.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree as well. I prefer knowing what mode my light comes on at. When I had the H17f, I had it on hybrid memory.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Totally agree !

Wish more lights would
give us the Option/Choice !

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Being I have lights scattered all over the place I keep certain ones in a mode I'll know is what I want it to be on. If I only need about 25 lumens I reach for light A. The need for 300 thrower lumens reach for light C. For a flooder on super nova mode light G gets picked.

In the meantime I also have some SureFire G2x Pro strategically located since they start on low. I can live with or without memory but since some of my lights have it I take advantage of it.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If it doesn't always start on Low,, memory for me please.

Many lights now you just double click for Turbo, which depending on the emitter is VERY bright.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 10 lights standing on the table next to my chair here ready for use most of the time. 9 of them provide me an easy option for pre-selecting power-on output level. The 10th is fixed operation, but it's easily selected at turn on with tap or double-tap. I like options, and especially in this respect. I find there's no universal 'right answer' to this question - even for just myself.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last mode memory has slowed me down too many times. A user interface that allows prompt access to low and maximum with reasonable time for in between levels works for me.

Having certain flashlights at certain intensities sounds really good.

Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened
My EDC lights & most others are all Anduril based so I have shortcuts from OFF to ML, Ramp ceiling & Turbo so I have my manual memory set to about 100-125L on each. One of those should be "close enough" as a starting point.

E=mAh²

Newly Enlightened
Memory mode is quite possibly the worst "feature" to ever be implemented into the flashlight industry. Hell, even strobe has it's place and specific use cases, and actually I prefer to have the option of having one even if I never use it but I don't really have to tell a bunch of flashlight/gear heads the importance of the whole "better to have and not need..." adage. I just dislike UI's that force you to cycle thru strobe modes to reach other features of the light..

But memory mode.. it's kinda ironic too cuz it's entire purpose is supposed to be for convenience and to REMEMBER the mode you last used, but yet reading the comments in this very thread a somewhat common theme seems to be along the lines of "I don't like memory mode because I like to know what mode it's going to turn on in."

So essentially, the memory of a flashlight is only as good as the memory of the end user..🤔 (Not good in my case)

No wait, actually my above statement is inaccurate. The only thing worse than memory mode is LAST MODE MEMORY. I have yet to find a single person who actually likes/uses it (by choice) and even if someone said they did I think I would still disbelieve and chalk it up to saying they like it for the sake of opposition, you know one of THOSE people.

Last edited:

akula88

Enlightened
I was once a memory mode guy, but has essentially shifted to non-memory mode a few years back. Most of my lights are Surefire-based, and I'm very fond of modularity. No Anduril or ramping settings for me.

All my favorite heads/lights now have programmable circuit (mostly Dr Jones H17f). My basic outdoor lights are set to always start (no-memory) at medium-ish mode (for good endurance), to amply light up the living room or outside the house, with the second mode at low, then high.
My night / room light were set to always start at ML mode, then Low Mode. Yes, Turbo is always 2 clicks aways.
Offhand, I use colored o-rings to distinguish them (program set) immediately from afar.

Those which still have non-programmable circuit are set to medium, as other members of the household may use it during power outage.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There are 10 lights standing on the table next to my chair here ready for use most of the time. 9 of them provide me an easy option for pre-selecting power-on output level. The 10th is fixed operation, but it's easily selected at turn on with tap or double-tap. I like options, and especially in this respect. I find there's no universal 'right answer' to this question - even for just myself.
Dag gonnit, I thought I had a lot of lights nearby at 5.

3_gun

Enlightened
I can reach 26 lights sitting or standing where I'm at right now. 16 of the 26 are Anduril based. They have a turbo from 1400 to 8000L, have a low/ML from 1-10L & a manual memory set between 60-150L. A "last used" memory sucks & I try to avoid it as much as possible. A user set memory just makes the light fit your needs better.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
For me it depends on the situation. Something like anduril or the olight/sofirn and etc type of UI that can have memory mode but also has shortcuts to the lowest and highest mode are quite good and I like those.

If the fenix pd36r was my daily edc with its memory mode it would become irritating, but I use that light when I need both brightness and runtime so the memory mode is fine for that use.