Mercury Vapor porch light woes

Frangible

Enlightened
I have a 175w Mercury Vapor porch light that is sufficiently bright, unfortunately due to the color (too much blue/UV) it attracts a lot of bugs.

Can anyone give any recommendations for resolving this? Can I directly coat the bulb with paint, or would that be bad? What options are there for a light filter to cut the blue/UV out?

Can I use sodium vapor (low or high pressure) bulbs as a replacement? Or do they require their own ballast?

Thanks.

billhess

Newly Enlightened
Frangible said:
I have a 175w Mercury Vapor porch light that is sufficiently bright, unfortunately due to the color (too much blue/UV) it attracts a lot of bugs.

Can anyone give any recommendations for resolving this? Can I directly coat the bulb with paint, or would that be bad? What options are there for a light filter to cut the blue/UV out?

Can I use sodium vapor (low or high pressure) bulbs as a replacement? Or do they require their own ballast?

Thanks.

High and low pressure sodium require their own ballasts, you cannot just switch bulbs. High prssure sodium still attracts bugs just not as many. I have several low pressure sodium lights and they are the most efficient and attract very very few bugs. keep checking ebay and one will show up eventually.

Lights of America makes an yellow CFL that supposedly has less tendy to attract bugs. It has a yellow outer glass bulb. You could use a bunch of this.

Low pressure sodium is more or less monochromatic and everything appears in shades of amber.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are CFL bulbs designed to retrofit mercury lamp housings, but I've never seen a yellow bug-light version. And my yellow CFL bug-lights still seem to attract enough bugs that very fat spiders build webs on them anyway.

A better solution would be to surround it with the housing from a bug zapper and place a koi pond below. You get to keep your light, enjoy a pond, + have less bugs in the yard, with no cleaning and no feeding necessary.

Only downside would be the persistent bzzt! noises...

mdocod

Flashaholic
you could get yourself and friends a few badmitten rackets, a few beers, and find a new level of fun on account of your light

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frangible said:

Thanks.

In general Sodium Vapor lamps need a different ballast.
However GE makes some lamps that are direct replacements for Mercury vapor lamps. They are called I-line Multi-vapor, and will run in existing sockets with existing Mercury Vapor ballasts.

snowleopard

Newly Enlightened
I had been wondering about bugs and yellow lights:
http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/faqs/incandescent.htm#5

How does the Yellow Bug-Lite Work? Insects and humans have different visual perceptions. This allows for people to have better control of nocturnal insect nuisances by adjusting the color of lighting.

The human visual system is activated by radiant energy in the color range from deep blue to dark red, which we call light. The vision of flying insects, however, is shifted away from long-wavelength red toward the shorter blue and near ultraviolet (black light) wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum. Sources which radiate ultraviolet energy and blue light are most attractive to flying insects, while those with a deficiency of ultraviolet and blue are less attractive. Insects see black light fluorescent, mercury, and metal halide best. Lamps which insects have a difficult time seeing include incandescent, high-pressure sodium, and bug light incandescent (yellow).

RESIDENTIAL AREAS
Homeowners can reduce insect annoyance by using incandescent "bug lights", gold fluorescent, or high-pressure sodium near entrances. Unfortunately none of these sources render complexions, flowers, or greenery very well because of their lack of blue light. In addition, any light source near doorways should be shielded from horizontal view so that the flying insect will be less apt to see it. If possible, the light source should be located a short distance from the entrance and the light should be directed to illuminate the entrance. Note that incandescent "bug lights" do not repel bugs - they just don't attract as many as plain bulbs because the insects cannot see the yellow light as well as they can see blue or ultraviolet light. Another tip is that decks, patios, and particularly barbecue and eating areas should be lighted from a distance. The custom of stringing colored bulbs for a festive atmosphere will work reasonably well if the majority of light in the area is beamed in from some distance away.

Logically a red light would be best, but that would have connotations that the neighbors might not like. My only yellow light is a CMG Infinity (original) and it is too dim to attract anything. One of the advantages of relapsing into a flashoholic is that I leave my outside light off and use a flashlight instead; no more gauntlet of mosquitos.

--Walter