Meridian LED Tap lights

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just splurged on a 4 pack of Meridian LED tap lights and have mixed feelings about them afte trying one.
First it isn't a "true" tap light as a small "slice" of the circle on the outside is where there is a marked "on/off" symbol that you push in the click the light on/off. It has a spring loaded switch that sounds like a mechanical switch which IMO is a good and bad thing in that probably no vampiric drain, but you have to hit that one small spot to turn it on/off so in the dark you have to feel around more to find the side where the switch part is.
Second the output is about 10 lumens which is a decent amount of light there is only one level of light.
The good news is the LED (haven't taken it apart yet) appears to be a chip (SMD) type warm white so it looks like a tiny incan light bulb. The light is white with a black back that has a battery cover that opens where you insert 3AAs. I have 3 duraloops in one right now. It does have a keyhole slot in the back to hang it up with.

Oh wow.... I was playing with it and found out something very interesting..... while it is easy to click the part to turn it on/off if you push the other part of the tap area hard, very hard it acts as a momentary on and push it harder and it latches the switch. IMO the pressure required to latch it on using the main tap area is way too much almost so much someone that isn't very strong may have trouble using it in that fashion.

You can buy this 4 pack for about $4 plus tax I found it on the bottom shelf in the light bulb aisle. They have a 2 pack of 4AA tap lights but I didn't buy that one as I am going to see if I can mod it to use an 18650 and wire up a charging port. I may also consider adding a resistor to bleed a tiny amount of current across the LED constantly as a "find me" light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Just took it apart..... my guess of a chip LED is correct it is on a circuit board and a simple spring push button switch with 2 yellow wires.
Using 2 freshly charged duraloops (duracell precharged LSD Japanese 2000mah AAs) I got just under 50ma current draw (between 45-48ma)
I figure over 40 hours of runtime, perhaps 50 or so as I don't think there is any regulating circuitry probably just a resistor.
I think these are well worth $1 each in a 4 pack. I'm not sure I could use an 18650 unless I soldered leads on it not enough room for a holder at all, I'm thinking maybe a 14500 or 3 wired in parallel with a USB charging circuit board would be an interesting mod to do.
I wish I had a battery spot welder or maybe I need to find a salvage battery pack with 3000mah + 18650 cells already welded together that I can but out but keep the tabs on it.

I just tried another experiment..... I put 2 depleted alkaleak AAs in it and wired across the first empty cell spot and it lit up at a very usable brightness. The batteries together measured a little over 2V....... so this may not be a good candidate for rechargeables.

Last edited: