Merry Christmas!!! PIC HEAVY

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This year I became that old family member who sits in a corner and nobody talks to. And if they do it's lip service. I remembered a time as a kid thinking someday I'd become that person.

Now don't feel sorry for me, because it is just a matter of not having much in common with the younger crowd anymore. I had my time, but instead of being burdened with being the pivot point it's now a chance to relax and enjoy watching the next generation do all those stupid things I did while the grown ups all shook their heads thinking "what an idiot". lol. I'm the get off my lawn guy now and dawg gone it I've earned it.

This one was post corona, where the crowd was permanently smaller due to father time and divorce. In late 2019 we all agreed that was probably the last big one but it was said with a smile as we hugged "goodbye" instead of "see ya soon". So in a strange way I was saddened that indeed that prediction had come true, yet it was a chance to reflect on years gone by. I supppse Christmas 2022 will be back to the normal. The current normal and not the previous normal.

To me the only burden if you will is thinking of all those questions you'd like to ask those people who are no longer with us. No regrets really. It's just life being life. Yet it's also a reminder of how precious time with family is as the days whizz past like fence posts next to the interstate.

Poppy

Flashaholic
This year was a little interesting.
Maybe because we don't watch as many kiddy shows as we once did, or the loss of Toy's R Us, but I didn't see as many toy commercials as I used to. The only one I recall seeing over again and again was this year's Hess truck, which was a cargo plane carrying a jet fighter plane.

Black Friday has stretched out to a week or so, and some of the big chains showed some respect for their employees, and closed on Thanksgiving day, and Christmas day.

I was happy to see that the news commentators weren't speaking so much of gifts, but of the value of family and friends, and spending time with each, and creating memories.

More along the lines of what I think holidays should be.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I haven't seen tv comercials for a while now. At one point I stayed in a hotel a few days a week for work and I'd watch some network tv but noticed by Wednesdays each week I'd either be angry or depressed so I started bring a dvd player with me. I believe that was in 2018. So I have no idea what comercials play on tv these days.

But listening to an AM radio a few hours a week makes me understand I should invest in gold, have the ability to lose two dress sizes in 14 days, and know where the backups are on my commute home each afternoon.

Black Friday started back in June according to the junk mail in my inbox. My son said on Thanksgiving day "dad, they already have Valentine's day stuff out at the store where I work".

Now today I was speaking with a coworker who came out of retirement to help me on a project and he said he had relegated himself to the place he was alone as well. He said "all them kids all hollerin' and all them ladies yap, yap, yappin' I just had to be alone for an hour or two". I chuckled and said "me too".

Last edited:
Santa just braved frozen snowy roads to bring me this -

66233322013__386ADA75-04BE-423A-856C-02612FB65278.JPG

Best temporal gift I received.

Very nice! Heat it up with a stick of cinnamon... ooo la la :)
It spent the night in Santa's car, and being it was all of 18 degrees last night, it arrived pretty cold. That's how it was served. So good cold sans ice I'm tempted to continue serving it in the same manner. However, since it's also to be purchased in the future, I'll be sure to sample it warm. Mrs Gardiner stated it's her new favorite.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen tv comercials for a while now. At one point I stayed in a hotel a few days a week for work and I'd watch some network tv but noticed by Wednesdays each week I'd either be angry or depressed so I started bring a dvd player with me. I believe that was in 2018. So I have no idea what comercials play on tv these days.
Things are pretty much the same, if not worse for ads. Best to avoid them entirely, even if they weren't trying to blow out your speakers by doubling the volume.

Here's some examples of what you've been missing:
News ad: "A murderer is on the loose in a local neighborhood. We'll tell you which neighborhood. Details at 11."
News ads are made to leave you in a state of constant and perpetual fear to hook you into watching more. Just buy a gun and mute the news ads.
Drug ad: "Do you have problems with the ladies? Try our drug. Warning: Drug may cause bloody diarrhea, excessive sweating, shrinking testicles, weight gain in one butt cheek, pimples in odd places, and loss of appendages.
Don't eat a meal before watching these ads. They'll make you sick.
Lawyer ad: Did this drug cause …. Then we can make you rich.
Just ignore those ads.
Candy commercial: Boy in dress trying to get you to buy candy.
Boycott company for exploiting children for an agenda.
Any other ad: Uses sex to sell something monotonous.