What did you use your flashlight for today?

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I went out to run some errands today, mid-late afternoon. The sun was pretty harsh (no clouds at all), so I went out in sunglasses. The thing is, I live in a low-latitude zone, so as my profile says, the sun sets fast. So much so that we don't have an evening time - going from golden sunlight to total darkness on land takes 20 minutes.

When the sun was almost gone and it was getting annoying to use the shades, I went to swap them for my regular glasses... and found none inside my satchel. Uh oh. I'm nearsighted so my sunglasses are prescriptions, and without the normal ones I can't take these off. So I stopped the car and went looking for my glasses case on the seats and footwells, because who knows, maybe they fell out of the satchel, wouldn't be the first time it happened. Even with the last bits of direct sunlight, it was really dark inside the car, so I had to resort to my Convoy T3 to make things clearer.

Nope, no dice. I was stuck out after sunset, with shades I couldn't take off. :ohgeez:And I had to seek out more than one post office station to post a package, so that delayed the milk run by a huge margin. I only got home after 7PM, well over two hours after nightfall. I'm only thankful that my city has swapped pretty much all streetlights to cool white LED, so the streets were visible enough to drive safely with the shades on. (Not ideal, but enough to get by.) Had they been the old sodium vapour lamps, I would've been in pain.

A not harsh, but unpleasant, lesson learned the hard way. Check your bags, double check your bags, then check them again just to be sure.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
....A not harsh, but unpleasant, lesson learned the hard way. Check your bags, double check your bags, then check them again just to be sure.
Not sure how much it would set you back, but if it won't be a burden on you, consider getting an extra pair of both prescription glasses and prescription shades. Each kept in a separate case in your glove-box. Would not only prevent that situation from happening again, but if you accidentally break your main pair of either shades or glasses, you've got a back-up pair right there in your car.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Not sure how much it would set you back, but if it won't be a burden on you, consider getting an extra pair of both prescription glasses and prescription shades. Each kept in a separate case in your glove-box. Would not only prevent that situation from happening again, but if you accidentally break your main pair of either shades or glasses, you've got a back-up pair right there in your car.
It's good advice for sure and I used to follow it. The problem is that I've displaced my older pairs... haha 😅

This current pair of normal prescriptions is on its way out, perfect to keep as a backup. When money allows I will order a new pair and stash this one in either the glovebox or the boot.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I went out to run some errands today, mid-late afternoon. The sun was pretty harsh (no clouds at all), so I went out in sunglasses. The thing is, I live in a low-latitude zone, so as my profile says, the sun sets fast. So much so that we don't have an evening time - going from golden sunlight to total darkness on land takes 20 minutes.

When the sun was almost gone and it was getting annoying to use the shades, I went to swap them for my regular glasses... and found none inside my satchel. Uh oh. I'm nearsighted so my sunglasses are prescriptions, and without the normal ones I can't take these off. So I stopped the car and went looking for my glasses case on the seats and footwells, because who knows, maybe they fell out of the satchel, wouldn't be the first time it happened. Even with the last bits of direct sunlight, it was really dark inside the car, so I had to resort to my Convoy T3 to make things clearer.

Nope, no dice. I was stuck out after sunset, with shades I couldn't take off. :ohgeez:And I had to seek out more than one post office station to post a package, so that delayed the milk run by a huge margin. I only got home after 7PM, well over two hours after nightfall. I'm only thankful that my city has swapped pretty much all streetlights to cool white LED, so the streets were visible enough to drive safely with the shades on. (Not ideal, but enough to get by.) Had they been the old sodium vapour lamps, I would've been in pain.

A not harsh, but unpleasant, lesson learned the hard way. Check your bags, double check your bags, then check them again just to be sure.
I'd suggest getting a pair of pinhole glasses to keep in your car for just such an emergency. They might be a bit better than prescription sunglasses in a situation like this. They're not as good as the correct lenses but they might work in a pinch.

Poppy

Flashaholic
It's good advice for sure and I used to follow it. The problem is that I've displaced my older pairs... haha 😅

This current pair of normal prescriptions is on its way out, perfect to keep as a backup. When money allows I will order a new pair and stash this one in either the glovebox or the boot.
@Jean-Luc Descarte , have you considered or tried transition lenses?
I had them and they work fairly well. They don't get as dark as my dedicated sun glasses, but they make the full sunlight tolerable.

I had them and they work fairly well. They don't get as dark as my dedicated sun glasses, but they make the full sunlight tolerable.
I've had a few pairs. They don't darken in the car; well at least mine didn't. I believe the UV-blocking coating on the car's glass prevents the glasses from reacting and turning dark.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I'd suggest getting a pair of pinhole glasses to keep in your car for just such an emergency. They might be a bit better than prescription sunglasses in a situation like this. They're not as good as the correct lenses but they might work in a pinch.
Huh, those are new to me. I knew the optical principle behind these (reducing indirect light for a clearer image) but that's the first time I see it employed in a vision-correcting product.

I'll see if I can find these for a good price online, because they definitely aren't sold locally in my area. Should import tax and shipping prices allow it, I'll snatch a pair to try out.

Yep, I have, but they are extraordinarily expensive where I live. It's the main reason why I stuck with two separate dedicated pairs.

Luckily the aforementioned shades are not super duper dark.

Huh, those are new to me. I knew the optical principle behind these (reducing indirect light for a clearer image) but that's the first time I see it employed in a vision-correcting product.

I'll see if I can find these for a good price online, because they definitely aren't sold locally in my area. Should import tax and shipping prices allow it, I'll snatch a pair to try out.

Yep, I have, but they are extraordinarily expensive where I live. It's the main reason why I stuck with two separate dedicated pairs.

Luckily the aforementioned shades are not super duper dark.
What about these new fangled prescription glasses with magnetic clip on sunglasses? Seems to be an endless amount of designs for the face plates.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What about these new fangled prescription glasses with magnetic clip on sunglasses? Seems to be an endless amount of designs for the face plates.
Looks like a more advanced version of clip-on shades. My best friend of over 30 years has had the older version that are bare lenses connected to a bridge. They clip on over the top of the bridge. He's legally blind without his glasses.

NRiyo3

Newly Enlightened
I used my PL47MU for some PC work today. Installed a new SSD and did a deep cleaning. Used a D3AA to eat dinner while watching a movie.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a leaky pipe under my sink, Used my HDS rotary. It has a proud button and it would have been easier if it had a flush button for tailstanding but I made do. I did have a ZL Sc600w a few feet away on top on my fridge (and a few other lights in the next room) but I was already under the sink and too lazy to get up.

NRiyo3

Newly Enlightened
Had a leaky pipe under my sink, Used my HDS rotary. It has a proud button and it would have been easier if it had a flush button for tailstanding but I made do. I did have a ZL Sc600w a few feet away on top on my fridge (and a few other lights in the next room) but I was already under the sink and too lazy to get up.
For indoor up close work a Mule is amazing. Flood is king. PL47MU or a Wizard C2 Pro Warm, floody but not a mule.

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 12

NRiyo3

Newly Enlightened
For indoor up close work a Mule is amazing. Flood is king. PL47MU or a Wizard C2 Pro Warm, floody but not a mule.
This is my C2 Pro Warm 1m from the cabinet. Such a nice even flood beam.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. My ZL SC600w has dc - fix on it, I have a mule and a headlamp in the next room. I sort of "ceiling bounced it" off the top of the cabinet it worked just fine.