Metal Gauge for Handworking ?

OhMyGosh

Newly Enlightened
I am going to buy some copper & aluminum sheet for use in making battery holders, heat sinking etc. What gauge or thickness range is a good compromise between reasonable durability, and the ability for form without special equipment ? I am not looking for something super strong, just a reasonable sturdiness without being flimsy or delicate.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 22g. copper is the way to go its thin yet isn't completely flimsy. Depending on what your using it for though you may need stronger stuff, which may be substantially harder to work.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have used between 0.005 (5 mil) which is the thickness of most Nickel battery pack welded tabs (very flexible) to 0.16" which is pretty stiff copper sheet/strips, and works well for battery contact holder tabs.

OhMyGosh

Newly Enlightened
I received an aluminum sampler pack today with .025, .032, .04, .05, .0625, .08

I would say the biggest jump in rigidity is between .04 and .05
.05 seems a good thickness for rigid but still easily workable parts. I was surprised that there does not seem to be much difference between 6061 alloy and 5052. I am guessing the softer 5052 is better for bending, and 6061 is better for machining.

scott.cr said:
Do you live near a Harbor Freight?

$27 bending brake

I don't know how I missed that post. I don't live near anything but farmland, thank god for UPS and Fedex.