Microfire K2000R question

amph1bius

Newly Enlightened
I have had this flashlight for a little over a year now, and I had it stored in my trunk for about 5 months (I know, stupid idea). I'm trying to get it going again, but it seems it's dead. Could it be the bulb that's broken? I thought these things were pretty durable. How would you troubleshoot the flashlight? I have two rechargeable cells, and both seem to report on the DMM. Could it be the bulb? How often do these need to be replaced?

Andrew

Patriot

Flashaholic
I have had this flashlight for a little over a year now, and I had it stored in my trunk for about 5 months (I know, stupid idea). I'm trying to get it going again, but it seems it's dead. Could it be the bulb that's broken? I thought these things were pretty durable. How would you troubleshoot the flashlight? I have two rechargeable cells, and both seem to report on the DMM. Could it be the bulb? How often do these need to be replaced?

Andrew

It's very unlikely that the bulb is the problem unless you can see that it physically broken. HID bulb life is usually measured in the hundreds or thousands of hours. If you batteries are testing good then there is a fair chance that the ballast has a problem.

Often if you contact the place from where is was purchased they can get you pointed in the right direction because they have a good idea of what has been failing on certain models.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got my K2000R I took it apart to clean out the "China dirt" from the assembly. The bulb wasn't very firmly seated... maybe yours has vibrated out of its socket. You might check that the battery pack contacts are making a firm connection with the ballast contacts, and that everything is clean. These lights seem to be finicky about contact cleanliness.

(Don't feel too bad about keeping it in the trunk. My K2000R's home is in my trunk too.)

TheGreyEminence

Newly Enlightened
The Home of MY K2000R is now the Grave :(
Bulb blew up two times (!) together with cracked lens.
Switched then to a K3500R and NEVER had problems again!
Same with my K500R.

Regards

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Home of MY K2000R is now the Grave :(
Bulb blew up two times (!) together with cracked lens.
Switched then to a K3500R and NEVER had problems again!
Same with my K500R.

Regards

Same with K500R (never had problems again)? or Same with K500R (is now in the grave)?

amph1bius

Newly Enlightened
You guys were right! The ballast was not seated properly, connecting to the interface between the battery and the head. I had to take it all apart and put it back together.

Too bad it works now... I was going to get the K3500 in replacement :p

Patriot

Flashaholic
That was all scott.cr. He thought of the ballast to head contact.

I'm really glad that you resolved the issue though. Must have just came loose from the vibration of riding in the trunk for so long.