Microfire Warrior K3500R - HELP!

Duckski

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've had a K3500R for about 4 years and have since acquired a collection of LED flashlights but always liked having my big HID. After a charge around 4 months ago, when I turned it on the bulb flashed momentarily, then nothing.

If I repeatedly switched the unit on and off, it would eventually come on and stay on - not only that but it would switch on normally from that point until it had cooled again. After some thought, I bought a new bulb assembly, which arrived today - I was wrong, which brings the question, is it some sort of battery power fluctuation or ballast problem?

Any ideas appreciated - I'm not going to throw any more money at it so if anybody is interested in a spare bulb assembly for a K3500R, I have 1 X new and 1 in the unit - which also (possibly) has a good handle / battery pack.

I am open to offers on bulb or all if anybody interested - microfire.de are 107 euros for a bulb.

Cheers,

Duckski

Duckski

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Helmut,

That appeared under my post as possible relevant so I have read - unfortunately I didn't spot it before buying the bulb. Can't work out if the ballast is in the base of the bulb or the unit that sits underneath but reckon all points to batteries at the moment I think.

Cheers,

Steve

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Have you tried the solution in the other thread?

It's also possible that your battery pack simply reached the end of its useful life. 4 Years is a long time for Li-Ion batteries, especially if you use them frequently.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's most likely the battery need to be replaced, they build up internal resistance over time & reduce working volts.
Cold start pulls more amp & need higher start-up volts. It's 3x 18650, 12v set-up.

If you can connect ballast to a 12V DC source, for example a car battery or through 12v cigaret lighter socket,
you can prove if its battery issues before purchase a new battery set-up.

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in case it is the battery: Microfire is going to release a 3x18650 battery case called K2R to use your own rechargeables.

Eric

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be an ideal solution. Kills two birds with one stone.

Last edited:

Duckski

Newly Enlightened
I would like to add that Shenzhen Microfire were most unhelpful regarding this problem - it took 3 attempts to get a reply to an email describing, in detail, the problem with the unit and rather than point me at possible causes, they sent a link to a new bulb from Microfire.de @ 107 Euros. Surely they would have known it was unlikely to be the bulb and 107 Euros is a ludicrous amount of money for a replacement bulb - I sourced mine from OpticsHQ (very helpful) for $75.

I won't be touching anything else Microfire except the battery housing I need...

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
That and you have so many other great choices for HIDs. There has never been a better time than now to own a good quality HID at a reasonable price. I am eyeballing the Titanium Innovations line right now, but there are so many choices. I feel like a kid in a candy store sometimes.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My K3500 finally kicked the bucket a couple of months ago. The exact same problem. The battery tested fine and I was really at a complete loss as to what was happening. My gut was telling me that it was a contact issue so I spent many hours checking and rechecking. Eventually a pattern emerged. When the light was warm it worked like a champ and gave me a full 45+ minutes of run, even on my 3-4 year old battery stick. When cold, nothing. I actually could put it into the fridge for 5 minutes and make it so that it never fired up. If I set it back in the 100F garage for 10 minutes it would work every single time. Diagnosis, ballast or internal contact fault within the ballast. When I brought the matter to Microfire, after 3 emails they finally responded and stated that the engineers were looking into my description of failure. After two-weeks, no response so I emailed asking for an update. She stated that the engineers said that the "ballast was going bad" and offered a light head to me at a reduced $230 price point. I didn't take them up on it because of the time and costs associated with over seas shipping.

I will agree that Microfire's customer service needs some work but when I purchased the light from OpticsHQ I figured that I'd never have to deal with Microfire of China. Since OpticsHQ dropped Microfire I was stuck without state side support and was sort of wishing that I had purchased it through 4Sevens since they're still a dealer. Muphy's Law I guess. :)

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told by the ebay seller my Microfire clone (Xeccon SSK-33) replacement ballast cost is $50, its 28/35W two mode but skipping the middle contact ring will turn it into a single mode. The ballast is much smaller than typical ebay HID ballasts & I suspect it will fit Microfire, may be some minor modding if needed.
29325970.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks ma-sha! I'll keep this option in mind while I decide what to do with my light. I really appreciate the info.