Might these be dimmable on an appropriate dimmer?

SciGuy

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if the attached LED flood lamps might be dimmable using an appropriate LED rated dimmer. Their intended use would be for lighting the kitchen area within a 46' geodesic dome house. They would be mounted at a height of ~ 12'. Past lighting solutions seemed to burn out rather quickly and we're looking for a solution that might have energy efficacy, longevity and ease of replacement.

What say yee more informed lighting folks? I'd also be very interested in alternative suggestions.

Thanks for any informed replies?

Hugh

Attachments

• LED flood lights.PNG
    LED flood lights.PNG
    408.3 KB · Views: 92

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you give a bit more detail on the lights: mfg./model? Does documentation say anything about dimmability? How much power are we talking (each, total)?

I won't be able to give you specific answer. Compatible dimmer list should be available from mfr. LED dimming can be tricky.

Dave

SciGuy

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave,

They're USTELLAR model UT88861 and 80 watts each. They're sold as outdoor units but I've used incandescent halogen flood lights for this specific use case in the past with good success except for the short life of the bulbs as well as high energy use. These are sold on Amazon and in the questions section someone asked if they could be used with a dimmer and there were two answers, neither from the vendor. One said yes but it would shorten their life and the other said yes and it would actually lengthen their life.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Hugh

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can find user manuals/guides online such as:

Unfortunately it states not dimmable.

Dave

SciGuy

Newly Enlightened
You can find user manuals/guides online such as:

Unfortunately it states not dimmable.

Dave
Dave, thanks so much for the time and effort! It appears that my quest isn't over yet .

brickbat

Enlightened
'Dimmable' is a feature that costs more to design and build. If a lamp is dimmable, the manufacture would be crazy not to tout that feature. If it's not advertised as dimmable, it's almost certainly not.