Milky Candle Pilot Run... (MC2 Teaser Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Milky Candle Pilot Run... (SOME NEW PHOTOS).

I've been out of new CR123A cells for a month or two, so I've been feeding used, pretty much dead ones to my Milky Candle.

The "high" mode typically doesn't work well (not at its designed power), but "medium" and "low" work fine, for at least several days per set. So I know it suckles the last milliamp out of them, and I don't feel guilty about getting rid of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very often one cell runs dead before the other, so I built myself a quick-n-dirty "Milky tester" that shows at a glance whether a cell is suitable to run in the Milky Candle. Seems to work pretty well, and it means that in a couple seconds I can tell whether I should toss both cells, or keep using one of 'em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flaffer, you're on the list my friend. Thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
rfdancer said:
Pictures and instructions please!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay Richard, if you were kidding then you REALLY got me, 'cause I just posted a writeup on the Milky Tester that I made! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Anyway, didn't want to pollute this particular thread, so anyone interested can find the Milky Tester writeup, complete with several photos, over here.

It slices! It dices! It cooks a rotisserie chicken! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Oops, too many infomercials during late night modding sessions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Well, take a look if you like! Here's a quick little teaser photo...

image-cpf-milky-tester-side.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arriving Soon...

Scott,

I was tinkering with another project and thought of something. Will a plastic 35mm film can fit over the MC? Also do you think it would be hard to put a photo sensor on it to make it automagically come on when it gets dark? This could end up being my bestest travel buddy.

TIA,
LT

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

LT, a film canister probably won't fit over the top of the MC (I'll check it out later), but oddly enough, the plastic cap from a bottle of Coca Cola does! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif At least it does with the bottles they sell here in the States. I believe someone in another thread mentioned that a particular brand of bottled water has a translucent cap, so maybe that would be the way to go with a travelin' MC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To make the bottle cap fit, the stock endcap needs to be unscrewed, which would leave the circuit board free. Because the circuit board needs to sit firmly against the battery tube for good electrical contact, a little modding might be necessary to make some kind of little pillar, or spacer or something, so the bottle cap would pin the board against the battery tube when screwed down. Also, the switch would be UNDER the bottlecap, so you'd need to unscrew it to change the output level. Maybe that's not such a big deal if you're happy with one particular brightness level and don't change it often.

Now, regarding the photo sensor, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I think it's definitely doable, but not in time for this next build. The circuit for the second run of Milky Candles (MC2?) is very different from the old one, and since the design is essentially complete and testing well, I'd be hesitant to go back and rework it at this point. I do know some people had built prototypes of modded first generation circuits that incorporated photocells, and they did seem to work. Maybe the MC3 will see such a feature in the production build... hmm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

As it is, MC1 could run in nightlight mode for 1000 hours, so leaving it on all the time actually isn't that big a deal. And MC2 just might run a little bit longer than MC1 did... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scott,

I didn't realize the MC was so small; looks bigger in the pix. I could probably mod the film can the way I have for my old infinity, knock a 20mm hole in it an "friction fit" it to the head. I'm just trying to keep the little guy safe from inadvertant trips to the floor and spreading the light around a bit. As for the photo cell, sorry, I didn't mean for you to have to do it. It's just an errant thought that leaked out of my head, besides I'm photon cheap.

Only 41 days in nite mode, hmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif not sure that's enough. My beef jerky supply is 45 days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Guess I'll have to carry a <red> MC too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I'm really looking forward to these. Thanks again,
John

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

n00b here. This is actually my first post on this forum. I'll take one of the MC2's. In your tester thread you meantioned you might include a testor at an additional little charge? If it's not over $10 i'll take one of those also. Does this price include the 2x123 cells? If not where can i purchase them and the appropriate charger if applicable.

Im sorry if this all has already been answered but i didnt want to read every post in 23 pages. lol, just tried to get as many juicy bits as possable.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello Hallis, and welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif I've got you on the list for two MC2's and possibly a tester. As far as the 123 cells, the MC2 is designed to take ordinary, non-rechargeable 123's, although I guess it would also work fine with the rechargeable variety. However, rechargeables aren't a requirement, so they're not included with the MC2, and neither is a charger. You could inquire at JSBurlys.com about rechargeable 123 cells if you like.

As far as regular (non-rechargeable) 123 cells, I'd say the two best sources would be BatteryStation.com for $1 each (special price extended to CPFers) or SureFire.com for $1.25 each in boxes of 12, with free shipping if your total order is large enough.

I suspect that many folks will use their 123 cell discards from other lights in the Milky Candle, and they should work well in there. I've been doing that for quite a while now, and I can get a few days of full brightness, or weeks (months?) in nightlight mode from cells that have already become too weak to operate in some of my other 123 cell lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, thanks for your interest! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for the reply Milkyspit, hehe but i only need one MC2. Are there any pictures of the revised prototype or an expected arrival date of the first production models? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Or do the pictures in your opening post reflect the end result of what the MC2 will look like also?

P.S. Im really pushing for one of those testers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Scott, put me down for a battery tester, depending on price. Thanks,

Bill

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hallis, my bad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif For some reason my eyes saw ONE, but my brain read TWO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I've got a prototype here that's functionally very similar to what the production MC2 will be, but it uses a couple different parts from what the production model will have. As for the remainder of the light, it will be in the same housing as MC1, so overall it'll look pretty much the same.

As far as arrival date, I've been trying for sometime by the end of the summer, or early autumn at latest. Some of this depends on coordinating with the schedules of others who also have their own projects to tend to, but I'm doing the best I can on that.

Bill, you're down for a tester. Heck, I didn't even decide to MAKE these, and already people are asking for them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Now I know what MR Bulk must feel like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Scott. don't rush. I've got plenty of time. Looks like these testors are fairly popilar. And they arent even out for purchase lol. If you can throw one together for me it doesnt really matter to me what color the LED is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

felder

Newly Enlightened

I'll take a tester if they are made available.

Status
Not open for further replies.