Milkyspit X285.4 Camo!!! The DeerHunter!!!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the rare opportunity to review a very special light built by Milkyspit and MirageMan. The light has been named the DeerHunter!!!!

Deerhunter-3Medium.jpg

Specs:

- Aleph III head, 2x123 Aleph body, McClickie Tailswitch.
- Lux K2 TFFC TWOF
- Reflector, cut down McR38
- Driver: Acorn DX1517 (v7.11.01.01)
- runs on 1x17650 or 2xCR123s
- Body custom anodize in Camo by MirageMan.... holy shnikes...nice job!!!!

The light was specifically built with throw in mind. This light out throws a Tiablo A9, Fenix T1, Aleph III head with a SSC @ 1000mAs and a BOG drop in Module for a G2L.

On top of that the 4 output levels are perfectly set from ultra low to brilliant high. Great work Milky!!

Deerhunter-1Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-2Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-5Small.jpg

Deerhunter-4Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-6Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-7Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-8Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-9Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-10Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-11Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-12Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-13Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-14Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-14Medium-1.jpg

Deerhunter-15Medium.jpg

Deerhunter-17Medium.jpg

.... and finally, this pic at the request of the new owner who claims he just loves my photos with lots of fishing lures..... My complements to the new owner:

Deerhunter-16Medium.jpg

I truly wish I could keep this one. Its a great great light. Congrats to its new owner.

MSax

Last edited:

OceanView

Enlightened
Very nice. That camo treatment makes for a very unique look.

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing light! Beautiful!

The camo paint job is outstanding!

Greetings from Brasil! :thumbsup:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light started out as a quest for a good hunting specific light; I've yet to find a good light that fill's my needs in that category. When Mirage_Man let loose with a few HA III camo hosts, I knew it was the perfect start. Seeing as this light will get thrown in the hunting bag, probably roll around the tree stand or blind, it had to have a tough coating. :thumbsup:

Then, we couldn't settle on an emitter/driver combo that would satisfy my dang demands for a strong thrower to light up the targets at 100 yards, plus a very low low setting for very discreet use to locate a dropped shell, etc., in the blind. Waited a really long time for just the right combo.... One day Scott called and said he thought he had hit upon just the right solution. And so he has! The K2T is quite the thrower, creating a tight hotspot that throws that country mile. :) Plus with the Acorn driver of Gotham fame, it allows for four levels of light, and that perfect low I was looking for. The W0 tint is the right tint for truer color rendition in the outdoors, where this will mostly be used.

Thanks again, Mirage_Man and Milky for creating the perfect hunting light I was seeking. :bow::thumbsup:

And Thanks MSaxButterfingers for all the great pics! :wave::nana:

EM

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wondered what ended up going in that light. How bout some beam shots?

I'll try to take some beamshots, but I suck at them. I can ussually get the shape of the beam OK, but the color is always out of wack. I suppose I really need help with white balance tips.

Anybody that can give me some pointers send me a PM.

MSaxButterfingers :barf:

donn_

Flashaholic
Stunning finish on that critter! I recently scored a 3D Mag in it, and haven't figured out what to do with it yet, so I just fondle it. :D

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words, guys, and kudos to Mirage_Man on his usual flawless job with the camo anodize on the light. I haven't seen a piece done that way yet that's any less than perfection!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Below are some photos I took before sending the light to MSax for the REAL photo shoot.

Outdoor Beamshot. Distance is about 40 yards up my driveway, shining the light on the garage doors. The photo to the left shows the ambient lighting conditions, while the one on the right shows the Deerhunter on max...

img-x285.4-a3-deerhunter-garage.jpg

Indoor Beamshot. This animated collage shows the Deerhunter lighting the ceiling just above our Christmas tree in all four brightness levels: ultralow; low; medium; and high...

img-x285.4-a3-deerhunter-xmas-animated.gif

Head Underside. Because the batteries load at the head end of the light, the head acts as a self-contained unit with gold-plated positive contact spring and stainless steel negative contact ring... the latter also keeps things from working their way out of the head, as light engines can sometimes do, while still allowing easy access for maintenance...

img-x285.4-a3-deerhunter-under-head.jpg

Other Closeups. Photos of the light from various angles, some with it turned on, others not...

img-x285.4-a3-deerhunter-side-head.jpg

img-x285.4-a3-deerhunter-head.jpg

img-x285.4-a3-deerhunter-beam-table.jpg

img-x285.4-a3-deerhunter-beam-side.jpg

img-x285.4-a3-deerhunter-beam-head.jpg

On this last photo, it's worth noting I needed to shorten the stock reflector somewhat to mount the Acorn driver in the head... this driver is slightly too large for the usual LE can to contain it... I got a side benefit by doing this, too, namely that I was able to shock-mount the reflector from the underside so the light would absorb frontal impacts (such as being dropped head-down on a concrete basement floor) without the reflector slamming into the emitter or circuitry... given EricMack's stated purpose for this being a hunting light, figured I might as well 'harden' the internals as much as practical for that purpose.

Anyway, hope folks enjoyed the additional photos! :wave:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost forgot: max output looks to be about 285 lumens with runtime of a little over 1 hour. Ultralow should run for at least 268 hours continuous... in other words, 11+ full days, or well over a month if used only 8 hours per night then turned off during the daylight hours. Preferred power source is 1x17670 rechargeable but in a pinch the light can also operate on 2x123 primaries, with the same brightness but reduced runtime at max.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky,

Remind me the next time I talk to you that I need a lesson on beamshots.

Nice photos.

MSax

DM51

Flashaholic
Beautiful light - a work of art! Very practical too - the UI looks excellent for all purposes.

Patriot

Flashaholic
That anodized camo is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always loved that look ever since Hoyt Archery anodized their risers those colors about a decade ago. I'd love to see other flashlight and parts creations available in anodized camo.....hint..hint..:cool: