Mini Maglite 2AAA LED penlight

TheLightAtTheEnd

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up one of these yesterday at lowes. Compared to my aa mag led it is considerably brighter. I measured 340 ma @ tailcap with fresh alka.. seems high to me. Checked a few times. Same numbers. My old 2aa is drawing 78 ma at the tail

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting! Thanks for the review. I was not terribly impressed with the initial Maglight LED offerings, so I hadn't given this one a second thought. I will have to pick one up to check out.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Okay ... I've been thinking if to ask or not to ask this question .... why is this actually called a PEN light? It doesn't look like one to me. I mean, the head remains traditionally Maglitely shaped, which is nowhere near a penlight *think*. Also... arent pen-lights mainly clickies? anyway.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay ... I've been thinking if to ask or not to ask this question .... why is this actually called a PEN light? It doesn't look like one to me. I mean, the head remains traditionally Maglitely shaped, which is nowhere near a penlight *think*. Also... arent pen-lights mainly clickies? anyway.

Mag describes it as "a pocket-clippable flashlight that's not much bigger than a penlight." I wouldn't call it a pen light, although it's similarly sized to Sharpies and slightly larger than standard pens.

KhFBb6u.jpg

I find mine to be a good pocketing size, although it might be awkward in a shirt pocket. I haven't tried that, as it's not long-sleeve weather here.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up one of these yesterday at lowes. Compared to my aa mag led it is considerably brighter. I measured 340 ma @ tailcap with fresh alka.. seems high to me. Checked a few times. Same numbers. My old 2aa is drawing 78 ma at the tail

Mine draws the same amperage with the said batteries also.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Mag describes it as "a pocket-clippable flashlight that's not much bigger than a penlight." I wouldn't call it a pen light, although it's similarly sized to Sharpies and slightly larger than standard pens.

KhFBb6u.jpg

I find mine to be a good pocketing size, although it might be awkward in a shirt pocket. I haven't tried that, as it's not long-sleeve weather here.

Thanks for the picture comparison with real pens! It was very helpful : ) Yeah, okay, the size of a pen, indeed, but the shape of... something else :D Thanks.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just gifted a Solitaire. The new, updated, LED version!!! Luxeon C, indeed! I wish I had kept the original battery so that I could do a runtime test for you folks! LED appears to be soldered to a piece of plastic, that's strange. Head doesn't get very warm after running for a minute or so; you can feel more heat by holding your hand in front of the light than from holding the light itself. Plastic SMO reflector. No spare bulb in the tailcap (lol). LED is amazingly tiny! I chuckled when I saw that the on-board protection diode is actually taller than the LED chip.

To turn it on, you loosen the head until the light switches on. At this point, you will have a smaller hotspot, larger hotspot, and some spill. Loosen further to obtain highest lux. Loosen further, and a four-leafed clover shaped hole begins to appear, its symmetricity a testament to the centering of the LED. This light has quite an impressive hotspot for the size reflector. ~16" diameter @ ~9.5ft., 3/8" @ aperture.

This feels just like a solitaire, except that it has the added function of being able to use that AAA cell it carries to output light! This is a nifty feature for a flashlight :)

Mine's in the same, beautiful, dark red as the AA mini above.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just gifted a Solitaire. The new, updated, LED version!!! Luxeon C, indeed! This feels just like a solitaire, except that it has the added function of being able to use that AAA cell it carries to output light! This is a nifty feature for a flashlight :)
Thanks for the afternoon chuckle.

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
I went into Halfords today and they had these on the shelf. I tried to talk myself out of it but I couldn't and bought one. Glad I did as it's actually a really nice pen sized light, brighter than the standard Minimag LED and with nicer center spot, in my opinion.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen these 2aaa mini maglite led's at Target stores for a while in Ohio. I don't think I saw the led solitare, but I wasn't thinking about it. Is the solitare supposed to be a single output light? If it was 15-20 lumens or so I'd be sold as that would give it decent run time. They probably are going to try make it higher output than that for the masses who don't know better and are wowed by the first few minutes being higher off of an alkaline cell.

edit: yeah just looked it's closer to a claimed 40 lumens.

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
There are plenty of other LED keychain lights that fit your requirement. It's not like there's a shortage of choice.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The size difference is striking.

mini-maglites-led-2AAvs2AAA.jpg

I never realized just how much smaller aaa mini maglites were than aa's. Never even considered one lately even if it weren't for the focusing beam, because i'd still generally just assume have a single aa form factor for the size/performance, but no one makes a single mode with a spring, twist only, tailstanding aaa in the high-medium output range, much less in AA exactly what I want, and this 2xaaa is still plenty small enough. THe mini aa's body is damn near as big around as the aaa's head.

Still have to say, and all due respect as a life long maglite fan, i still can't help but imagine how awesome it could be if some co. like fenix did these specs to their level of quality. Like a 2 cell E05 with a little higher output, 50-100 lumens, it would be same diameter and less than 4 1/2" long! I now would be just as excited about that as I would be a AA e05.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if Maglite have changed the LED in these? The original Luxeon C MiniMag AAA was rated at 84 lumens. But the current ones are 87 lumens. Anyone know the difference?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

2mfcgut.jpg

Close enough.

I think most 2aaa's in general are considered, even if not exact shape & size.