• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mini Turbohead M2-XML2 Direct Drive

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: M2-50 Direct Drive SST-50 M2 Head: in limited production

I've been thinking of getting one of these for some time now.

Just looking for some feedback from current users and Oveready before buying. I've tried emailing through the Oveready site but never hear back from them.

- I've currently have a Nailbender P60 XM-L2 T6 @3.6a with a smooth reflector in a cryos bezel. I definitely like it but more is better right? Am I going to say "Wow!" when I turn the M2DD on for the first time?

- Just wondering how it compares to the XM-L P60 format in general. A lot more throw due to the reflector depth, tighter hot spot, etc.

- I see in the description, it says "mounted on solid copper base". Does that truly mean a direct mounted LED or is it on a sinkpad board?

- The description says it exceeds the current rating of the McClicky switch but yet another page states "We guarantee our kit up to 5 amps, more than double the factory Z59 rating. Note: amps over 3 will heat the spring!" Seems contradictory. For those of you using McClicky switches, how are they holding up? I don't want a zero rez as I like the click switch.

Thanks!

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been thinking of getting one of these for some time now.
Just looking for some feedback from current users and Oveready before buying. I've tried emailing through the Oveready site but never hear back from them.
- I've currently have a Nailbender P60 XM-L2 T6 @3.6a with a smooth reflector in a cryos bezel. I definitely like it but more is better right? Am I going to say "Wow!" when I turn the M2DD on for the first time?
- Just wondering how it compares to the XM-L P60 format in general. A lot more throw due to the reflector depth, tighter hot spot, etc.
- I see in the description, it says "mounted on solid copper base". Does that truly mean a direct mounted LED or is it on a sinkpad board?
- The description says it exceeds the current rating of the McClicky switch but yet another page states "We guarantee our kit up to 5 amps, more than double the factory Z59 rating. Note: amps over 3 will heat the spring!" Seems contradictory. For those of you using McClicky switches, how are they holding up? I don't want a zero rez as I like the click switch.
Thanks!

Our XML2 M2 setup with the recommended ZeroRez switch and a Panasonic 3400MaH cell will deliver the highest output of any single 18650 XML2 light available.

Chinese P60 setups can vary in components and construction. I cannot verify XX model compared to another light.

We use Copper PCBs with direct to LED thermal pad connection. It provides very stable and safe heat management. These heads are tested for hundreds of hours for reliability.

Resistance is a huge factor in these lights. A Mcclicky switch may survive being used in this light, but it will cause a loss of output.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Yes, you've been wanting one of these for a while, but have been unable to find the 'hook' that makes it worth while. Let me bottom line things for you and perhaps push you one way or the other, resolving the quandary:

• The DD M2 is getting 1-2 more amps than your current setup (with recommended battery and switch)
  • This is about 150% of the performance you have now and will be brighter
  • The DD M2's reflector has significantly more reflector surface area than a P60 setup
  • You would be getting more lumens + better focus than the setup you have now
  • However, you also get the negatives of a DD setup, including special battery and switch
  • There is only one power level (max), defined by the power provided by the cell
  • Using a McClicky, for example, adds resistance, which lowers the power level
  • You can try to push against this with lower resistance cells but
    • you risk damaging the head (which can't be repaired)
    • you risk damaging the switch

The DD M2 offers extreme performance, but with certain drawbacks and restrictions. This is an unconventional setup with unconventional performance. We go to a lot of trouble make them and believe the results are worth it. Whether its worth it to you is a personal choice and will not be the same for everyone.

Here are a few comments from those who've tried it for themselves:

Ok. This light is SICK!!! I don't have a hound dog XML anymore, but this light is every bit as potent if not a lil more, in a smaller package. Like a hound pup. Lol.

Just got one of these heads for my bored C2, light output is simply incredible! Significantly out throws my XML2 Nailbender P60 Drop in.

So I finally got the chance to play with the M2 xml2 and it is definitely a winner!

The throw on this thing is about the best I've seen for such a compact light using an xml2. I would say the throw is equivalent to the G5 but, of course, with a much wider coverage. This is actually pretty amazing if you consider that the depth of both reflectors are about the same, but significantly wider on the G5 and uses a much smaller led.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

I noticed the Grey Turbohead's non-ribbed page has been gone for a while,will there be anymore?

We were able to secure supplies of black new and natural vintage bezels. All natural/new came from complete M2's which are now sold out. 6x natural/new bezels remain and will be offered only on complete lights with C2 bodies. All future M2 heads will be black/new and natural/vintage style.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's hard for me to set that hook. I'm waiting to see if a glossy black Z32 is ever offered as that question remains unanswered. I'll would be putting it on a 6P body and can't justify that type of money to wind up with mismatched finishes (glossy & matte).

Thanks for the info though ElectronGuru. I don't doubt for a second that I would be happy with it. All of your products seem to be top notch.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

how many more batches of these do you think you will come out with before Christmas? everytime I see a batch come and go I fell like I just screwed myself.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

how many more batches of these do you think you will come out with before Christmas? everytime I see a batch come and go I fell like I just screwed myself.

We've run low on a key part, slowing production. However, one last batch of full lights are on their way for Insider 45 and more heads in both colors should be ready by December.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

We've run low on a key part, slowing production. However, one last batch of full lights are on their way for Insider 45 and more heads in both colors should be ready by December.

thanks for the heads up. will make sure I get in on the next batch then.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast

ElectonGuru,

Do you have any plans to do a run in gloss black?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Do you have any plans to do a run in gloss black?

I would love to, our first batches were all gloss black. But M2 bezels are effectively discontinued. We have no reserve of gloss back, no way to to buy them, and no way to to make (refinish) them.

We can make hosts that match the heads we do have. Would you have a preference?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to, our first batches were all gloss black. But M2 bezels are effectively discontinued. We have no reserve of gloss back, no way to to buy them, and no way to to make (refinish) them.

We can make hosts that match the heads we do have. Would you have a preference?
I would like a HA 6P host to go with one of the remaining heads. rather its custom HA black, natural, or even a fire 6P body and tail matched with a black head. im just not a fan of C2's for some reason.

Latest posts