-- MJLED AA MagMod mini review --

wwglen

Enlightened
With the 2nd Generation MJLED using Lithium AA's in a Mnimag it gives out about the same overal light as my old cat urine green CMG 3-AA Reactor.

Spot is brighter but smaller than the reactor and the side spill is brighter.

Much brighter than my X5-T, and even brighter than the LEDs on the 2L twin task that have been replaced by three 26K mcd LEDs.

Much dimmer than my XM-3 clone and TL-2 LED.

wwglen

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I received MJLED and installed it in my unused MiniMag AAA body. For the price, it is a great upgrade. Mine is pretty white on Alkaline batteries. It takes 50mA compared to 130mA for the stock incandescent bulb. In terms of lumens output, it is slightly lower than the the stock bulb but much more useful due the white color. In terms of focusing, MJLED is comparable to stock.

I tried the bare LED with 2 Lithium AA and that really was bright. I will need to drill out the AA reflector to complete that mod though.

I am wondering as to why the runtime of the MJLED is being shown that high. The current drawn is about half of the stock bulb, so the runtime would be about double or more. It certainly can not be order of an of magnitude higher as reported.

I was surprised to see that stock bulb was drawing only 130mA and Brinkman Nextar was drwaing only 320mA on Alkaline. For some reason, I thought those numbers would have been higher. I recall that most Luxeon pills draw close to 800~1000mA from two AA.

If you were expecting to get the same amount of light from MJLED as from a Luxeon for 1/15 of the current, you would be disappointed. As long as you treat this as single LED conversion project, you will be very delighted with the outcome.

- Vikas

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Update:-

I drilled AA reflector and installed MJLED in Minimag 2AA. Now we are talking!

I had spare set of Energizer Lithium. When I turned it on, I was completely floored! So, this is where all the enthusiasm for MJLED is coming from.

The light is extremely bright and white with little bit of blueish (NOT violet) tint. The hotspot is very tight and the throw rivals original MiniMag.

To naked eye, it compares well with Luxeon S1801 torch. I am in total agreement with Vincent (UnknownVT).

MJLED with Lithium has total output which can be compared with a typical Luxeon flashlight. The MJLED with Lithium 2AA was drawing 160mA. 2AA Luxeon based flashlight will be consuming close to 700-800mA depending upon the converter efficiency and the Luxeon bin. One should get at least 5 times runtime with similar light output.

If I had access to a machineshop, I will crank up smallest CR123A/RCR123A or CR2/RCR2 based flashlight with this LED.
Buy the LEDs and reflectors in bulk (should be very cheap), use MiniMag quality battery tube (it does NOT need to be beefy), use Arc style twisty with foam washer, keep the head and body diameter same. Overall length should be close length of the reflector + length of the cell. The diameter should be close to the diameter of the reflector. This would be direct drive, no heatsink, smallest form factor, great runtime, rediculously cheap flashlight. With $30 selling price, I could pocket $20 in profit.

Any enterprising individuals willing to take on this project?

- Vikas

stormtrooper77

Newly Enlightened
I'm still relatively new to this so I'll watch from the side lines to see what progresses. But just to note, I put the MJLED into the MiniMag with Lithiums and it is by far a better light than it was stock.

Bob_Ulhedd

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Vikas Sontakke said:I had spare set of Energizer Lithium. When I turned it on, I was completely floored! So, this is where all the enthusiasm for MJLED is coming from.- Vikas

[/ QUOTE ]Be very cautious about using two AA lithium batteries to power a MJLED. I have a MJLED which was used with lithiums and it now flashes instead of providing steady light. On another Candlepower Forums thread I was advised "Don't use lithium AA's with these. 3.4 volts may be pushing it."

stormtrooper77

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bob_Ulhedd said:
[ QUOTE ]
Vikas Sontakke said:I had spare set of Energizer Lithium. When I turned it on, I was completely floored! So, this is where all the enthusiasm for MJLED is coming from.- Vikas

[/ QUOTE ]Be very cautious about using two AA lithium batteries to power a MJLED. I have a MJLED which was used with lithiums and it now flashes instead of providing steady light. On another Candlepower Forums thread I was advised "Don't use lithium AA's with these. 3.4 volts may be pushing it."

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't the Energizer e2's rated at 1.5v?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Bob
I've got mine in a AAA Minimag and use lithiums with no problems. I dont keep the light on continuously as it is needed for short burst use. However unless some one else knows better I understand lithiums won't necessarily cause the problems you have personally experienced.

Doug

JoeyL

Enlightened
I just received my order of mjleds.
I have to agree that this is one of the best mini-mag upgrades I've seen yet. For 5 bucks it makes a fairly crappy light into a great unit. The beam is smooth and round. It's like the old surefire p60 series in shape and lack of rings.

I'm not sure why some of you had the flashing problem.
I have 3 lights with lithiums in all and no flashing on any of them, even with 10 minutes of continuous use.
On brand new lithiums it draws about 40 ma, way below lambda's stated 100 ma rating.

Vikas, I think the batteries last so long because the amperage drops steadily as the voltage drops. On a pair of slightly used alkalines, with a voltage of 2.9, they only drew 15 ma and were still fairly bright. At that rate, they would burn for days.

One problem I had on one light was that it seemed dimmer on fresh batteries. I took a small paper clip, unfolded it and pushed it in and out of the lead holes where the bulb pins go in. It cleaned off the contacts and the led worked fine after.

Hope that helps,
JoeyL