Modding Greenforce lights

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
It switches on and off fine with the reed as shown. No problem there. The problem is with the heat coming off it. It will surely melt itself or the cables eventually......

Just because it works does not mean its wired up right. Wire it up as suggested and see what happens.

wquiles

Flashaholic
It is not wired properly, as Packhorse also points out.

Re-wire it the way I showed in the picture I showed above - don't worry about the 68 Ohm, but do put at least a 10K from the gate to GND (Bat Negative).

Will

johnnyryan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I'll get a 10k and give that a go. Thanks so much!! I tried wiring as u suggested but it seemed like the reed was bypassed as it was on constantly without the magnet in place so the resistor should sort that. I'll get one tomorrow and let u know.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It switches on and off fine with the reed as shown. No problem there. The problem is with the heat coming off it. It will surely melt itself or the cables eventually......

That FET with 5A running through it should get pretty warm to the touch but not hot if no heatsink is used. Give it even a little heatsink and it will barely be warm. It looks like a good choice for your application.

The way you had it wired it was probably dropping 2-3 volts across it, which would mean quite a few watts. With no heatsink it could give you a nice burn and it wouldn't survive long.

johnnyryan

Newly Enlightened
Just looked at the photo I posted again and I actually drew it wrong!! The reed is wired to 1 and the + is going to 2!! Sorry!

chogless

Newly Enlightened
Greenforce dont use MR11... so nope im not thinking MR11.

This should give you a good idea of how much space you have to work with.
PRO Head IRC
Diameter 70mm - length 95mm

OpenKop.jpg

I have one of the early light heads. a 10W HID and the replacement bulb is a M10P002 lamp. I believe that is a MR11 foot print?

jspeybro

Enlightened
I typically use them for modding since they are quite easily available in Belgium. What do you want to know? Which light do you have in mind (please note that there's a big variety in light heads so please specify or post a picture.

It may however be better to start your own thread.

tight

Newly Enlightened
hello,
can someone tell me how to open the shown head in the first post ?

lucca brassi

Enlightened
Probably he has escaped major O -ring from the bay in front of the front glass with a slim and tiny screwdriver. After replacing you need to replace the old with the new O ring.

tight

Newly Enlightened
yes thank you
i did it
didn't saw the post on the first page
now its time to replace the old leds with 3x cree xml2 u2 with 3A

british diver

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I am new to this forum which I found when I googled Greenock led conversion ! I see there are many many posts on the subject . Is there a "distilled solution" of all the input from members to the subject of converting a green force 50w halogen to LED that I could use and knock up to convert mine? I'm handy with a soldering iron but sadly lacking in the skills of led and circuit design!
I also have access and can use a tool room lath, mill etc!
Any help with circuit diagram,components etc would be a great help.
I do have a large Greenforce HID lamp that I see in pictures and mentioned in the posts, but as it works well and I like it I plan to convert the halogen one only.
thanks. Regards John

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi british diver and welcome to the forum!

Distillations of threads are almost unheard of, unfortunately. It just doesn't fit the way things work on forums.

Conversion of a halogen to LED is likely to make you very happy. As it appears you are already aware, HID to LED maybe or maybe not.

My suggestion is that you start your own thread. That way you'll get a clean start and attract the attention you want. There are many members who will comment on LED selection, light design, optics, machining, etc. I personally will offer assistance with several topics, as I'm a professional electronics engineer and hobby dive light builder.

Since you have a light you want to modify, the place to start is describing your light body (host), and your goals. Goals could be as general as "I dive in X environment and want Y result" or as specific as "I'm looking for X lumens in a Y beam angle and Z run time".

Be prepared for a conversation. That's where you will learn the most.