• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :-)

MattSPL

Enlightened
vinhnguyen54 Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :)

It seems ok now with 11 extra chips added, so my SL3 is running at about 8.6Amps.

las3r

Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :)

is there anyway to buy that driver separate ?

jac2001

Newly Enlightened

Vinh,

.....never mind...

J.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even though I see no thread entries since January or so I thought I would ask if work can be done on my Surefire U2 early generation flashlight to make it ~800+ lumens with a daylight tint. If so, can you please give a ballpark figure as to how much it might cost? I'm using 1 18650 battery in it. I am not understanding much of this thread because of the technical nature. Thank You for your response.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Wayne, I've got a few questions to ask.

1) For solder potting, other then the driver side of the pill, where else can you solder in a regular P60 drop-in?
And what kind of solder do you use? The solder that I am using produces alot of flux-like thing & it makes it very messy.

2) I bought a mule from you & I am impressed with how you make the solder inside the reflector so flat that the MCPCB can sit nicely on it.
I have a dremel tool but I am not too sure how I can achieve your standard. :confused:

Thanks for reading..
Cheers

-JonK

activeviii

Newly Enlightened

Hello.

Im having problems understanding how to choose the right drivers for the LED being used. would you be so kind to explain what i need to look for on the driver to run the LED, effectively please. Im so lost with it. I can do old school LED and Resistors but things have come a long want since i last played.

I would love to be able to mod my own torches but i cant even start to until the driver/led part is in my head. I have read so much i have confused myself.

Thanks kindly for the PM on the RED/ORANGE LED and the driver for 2x 18650 batts. i have them on order.

the Smallsun t13 is here and the swap out head is on the way.

just need to get these darn drivers in my head.

thanks for any help

All the best
Phil.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Even though I see no thread entries since January or so I thought I would ask if work can be done on my Surefire U2 early generation flashlight to make it ~800+ lumens with a daylight tint. If so, can you please give a ballpark figure as to how much it might cost? I'm using 1 18650 battery in it. I am not understanding much of this thread because of the technical nature. Thank You for your response.

With the stock driver you can not get 800 lumen with any LED. I would guess 400-500 Max with the ordinal Driver and a 6V XML.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

1) Solder fill is not really potting. I am just adding solder for additional mass. Potting is usually done with epoxy to hold things in place. I solder fill with fisherman weight lead. I solder electronics with regular flux solder and solder paste.

2) I solder fill into the reflector. Then I sand everything to fit and then thermal epoxy. :)

Hi Wayne, I've got a few questions to ask.

1) For solder potting, other then the driver side of the pill, where else can you solder in a regular P60 drop-in?
And what kind of solder do you use? The solder that I am using produces alot of flux-like thing & it makes it very messy.

2) I bought a mule from you & I am impressed with how you make the solder inside the reflector so flat that the MCPCB can sit nicely on it.
I have a dremel tool but I am not too sure how I can achieve your standard. :confused:

Thanks for reading..
Cheers

-JonK

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast

2) I solder fill into the reflector. Then I sand everything to fit and then thermal epoxy. :)

Sorry to ask again, but how do you sand it?
Sand paper or electronic tools?

And thanks for your answers!

- JonK

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sweet, thanks for your time mate.
Really appreciate your help.

- JonK

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

With the stock driver you can not get 800 lumen with any LED. I would guess 400-500 Max with the ordinal Driver and a 6V XML.

About the Surefire U2 modification:
Thanks for responding. So then a 6V XML Emitter. Would that be some kind of drop in or more complicated? I am guessing that changing the driver is not worth doing, might as well buy a new flashlight. If you could give some kind of ballpark figure of how much it would cost that would be great, if possible.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

About the Surefire U2 modification:
Thanks for responding. So then a 6V XML Emitter. Would that be some kind of drop in or more complicated? I am guessing that changing the driver is not worth doing, might as well buy a new flashlight. If you could give some kind of ballpark figure of how much it would cost that would be great, if possible.

The U2 is a very hard to mod light if it can be taken aprt to begin with. I have only sucessfully modded 4. 2 I couldnt even manage to open and gave up. Surefires are the sacriest to mod because they are hard to take apart. One scratch and I have to buy the light back. Teh mod price on the U2 is $85 due to its diffuclty and and special order LED. I think there are a lot of options for a $85 light out there that are nice. One would be a Modded Maelstrom G5 which I can build for you.

gianetics

Enlightened

hey vinh, i have a hds 140 clicky would it be worth it to mod to an xp-g2 in terms of output? its plenty bright but the more the merrier. im just wondering what kind of output we would be looking at? i know the 200 lumen models use an xp-g and the xp-g2 shows up to 20% increase for a max of 240 on paper. if i only get up to 180-200 im not sure it it would be worth it. do you think this mod would get the light to 210-225 range and what would something like that cost?

toysareforboys

Enlightened

Hey vinhnguyen54, I've bought from you before and am looking at getting something totally custom built. Wanted your input and to know if it's something you think you could build.

I'm thinking it's going to have to be from scratch, there's nothing I've seen that does everything I want.

Requirements:

1. Be as tiny as possible. All of it, length, diameter, etc. It's going to house an unprotected Pana 18650 3400mah so 65.1mm battery length and 18.3mm dia. Like I'm talking the entire flashlight is just a few mm larger than a bare 18650 ;)
2. It will have bare leds on the end, possibly behind a glass lens for protection. No optics, no dome on the leds, just super compact monster flood setup. I'm looking for maximum output, so tint and CRI aren't very important.
3. I would like it to pull a minimum 5 amps on high, probably 4 or so modes, high, medium, low, and firefly/super super low. Last mode memory or always start on high is fine.
4. Built from the best materials to handle as much thermal as possible. Obviously 5amps in a tiny package isn't going to sink very well. Would like top of the line lens as well (as scratch resistant as possible).
5. Possibly have it thermally regulated (not just by time, an actual temp sensor)?
6. Would like it to have a pocket clip. Can be welded on if body thickness doesn't permit screws.

I think that's it. Sound possible?

-Jamie M.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

hey vinh, i have a hds 140 clicky would it be worth it to mod to an xp-g2 in terms of output? its plenty bright but the more the merrier. im just wondering what kind of output we would be looking at? i know the 200 lumen models use an xp-g and the xp-g2 shows up to 20% increase for a max of 240 on paper. if i only get up to 180-200 im not sure it it would be worth it. do you think this mod would get the light to 210-225 range and what would something like that cost?

This mod if $45. I would personally only pay this much money for a new desired tint and lumen increase. I would not pay this much money for a Lumen increase only.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I ordered this light to check out its modability. It might be something you are interested in if the mod is sucessful. Of course with your requiremenst above a lot of parts have to be changed so the price would quickly climb. But I think the cheapest light with most of what you want would be a SC600 with a new XML2 LED.

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1857

Hey vinhnguyen54, I've bought from you before and am looking at getting something totally custom built. Wanted your input and to know if it's something you think you could build.

I'm thinking it's going to have to be from scratch, there's nothing I've seen that does everything I want.

Requirements:

1. Be as tiny as possible. All of it, length, diameter, etc. It's going to house an unprotected Pana 18650 3400mah so 65.1mm battery length and 18.3mm dia. Like I'm talking the entire flashlight is just a few mm larger than a bare 18650 ;)
2. It will have bare leds on the end, possibly behind a glass lens for protection. No optics, no dome on the leds, just super compact monster flood setup. I'm looking for maximum output, so tint and CRI aren't very important.
3. I would like it to pull a minimum 5 amps on high, probably 4 or so modes, high, medium, low, and firefly/super super low. Last mode memory or always start on high is fine.
4. Built from the best materials to handle as much thermal as possible. Obviously 5amps in a tiny package isn't going to sink very well. Would like top of the line lens as well (as scratch resistant as possible).
5. Possibly have it thermally regulated (not just by time, an actual temp sensor)?
6. Would like it to have a pocket clip. Can be welded on if body thickness doesn't permit screws.

I think that's it. Sound possible?

-Jamie M.

toysareforboys

Enlightened

I ordered this light to check out its modability. It might be something you are interested in if the mod is sucessful. Of course with your requiremenst above a lot of parts have to be changed so the price would quickly climb. But I think the cheapest light with most of what you want would be a SC600 with a new XML2 LED.

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1857
Wow, nice find!! WTF is with NO photo's of the business end of that flashlight?!? lol! Sucks the head diameter is larger than the body diameter but with the twist on/off stuff not sure how much space it needs up there. Looks amazing, at least for a start :)

The light you linked above: ......................... Head Diameter: 25mm, Body Diameter: 22mm, Length: 90mm
The light I currently EDC (Sipik SK68): ... Head Diameter: 26mm, Body Diameter: 26mm, Length: 92mm
The new light I got to EDC (SC600 MKII): Head Diameter: 30mm, Body Diameter: 25mm, Length: 101.6 mm

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

I've tried the SC600 MKII for two days now. I carry it bezel down, clipped inside my pocket. I just find it's too bulky compared to my SK68, too long, head diameter too big, etc. I haven't tried carrying it bezel up yet.

One thing I love about the MKII is the new super low low, great for night time bathroom trips and not waking up the GF!!

2013-04-30-ZebraLight_SC600_MKII_super_low_mode_vs_SC600w_super_low_mode_S.jpg

LICK FOR HIGH RES or UBER HIGH RES!!!

I have two metal rods in my leg that exit the bone right where I carry my flashlight (my knife is on the other pocket) so it gets VERY irritated when something rubs/presses against it :( The SK68 was great, just want more output, a super low mode, 18650 vs 14500 would be nice too. The MKII fits all of those, WAY more output, super nice low, better interface (can start in low or turbo from the first click at any time, sooo sweet), 18650, it's just too bulky :(

I'm VERY interested in that light vinhnguyen54. If you were able to squeeze 3 LED's in there and ditch the optics would you use the extra room for the driver/thermo regulator ? Or would you try and get it all in there with a triple optic in there still?!?!
throttle.gif

Thanks for the super quick reply :D

-Jamie M.