• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Moddoolar head question

jbbknives

Newly Enlightened
It is very interesting that it is on the invoice like that.

I really looked forward to getting this. I sent a pic of it to a friend of mine and he noticed the difference. So we compared numbers that we could see on the board. Mine has dead center between the LEDs the numbers 222. My friends has 332. Only difference we could see

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
(1) Can you see if the leds are on green or silver boards/pads?

Look at this post for reference:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-XP-G2-LED!&p=3980633&viewfull=1#post3980633

(2) Do you have two 18350 AW IMR batteries? Turn the light on max and tailstand it. The light might stepdown due to the thermal protection in the H models.

Even if the light does not get hot enough for the thermal protection to kick in, the light will still drop down the output when the cells get to 10%. Just tailstand and observe. I think this should answer your question if it is a H model or an older L model. Even if you have only a 1x18650 battery, the low voltage reduction should still kick in, but it would take longer for the cell to drop down to 10%.

• 4.00 - add low voltage reduction (10% at 3.4v per cell)
  • 4.00 - add low voltage cutoff (0% at 3.0v per cell)
  • 4.00 - add thermal protection (10% at 65C)

If this is indeed an H model, then you have an unique head as some people prefer the Head to be sterile (no engraving/markings).

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head appears to have the XPG2 LEDs.
It is a 15W head.

You can confirm if the mode sequence is HML. (Does it start in high mode and progress to medium then low?)

I do not see anything that tells me that the head does not match the invoice.

We had some heads that came out that were V4.0 without laser marking for a short time.

If you run the 2 smaller cells (18350 size) in the TL65 tube, you will get a nice boost in output.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Older XP-G are on green pads. I have an older Oveready/TL Triple drop-in and I can see the green color of the pads when looking through the optic at an angle.

jbbknives

Newly Enlightened
The head appears to have the XPG2 LEDs.
It is a 15W head.

You can confirm if the mode sequence is HML. (Does it start in high mode and progress to medium then low?)

I do not see anything that tells me that the head does not match the invoice.

We had some heads that came out that were V4.0 without laser marking for a short time.

If you run the 2 smaller cells (18350 size) in the TL65 tube, you will get a nice boost in output.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Awesome. Just a case of me not what I'm talking about. Ha.
I was going by pictures and the absence of the label.
Thank you for confirming

IsaacL

Enlightened
We had some heads that came out that were V4.0 without laser marking for a short time..

Ah, my bad Tom. I wasn't aware of that.

An interesting thread to be sure. Glad to see everything turned out alright.

Spot on with the silver vs green XP-G2's. When in doubt that is the quickest way to check. As far as the driver goes, the generation number is printed on the board itself and should be "334" for all V4 heads. The center number has nothing to do with the model. Like Tom has said, the Moddoolar head info is laser etched on the Moddoolar heads, unlike the printed label on the drop-ins.

Personally, I think it looks cool without the marking but YMMV.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
extra info...

version 1, 2, and 3 were dropins only. v3 was only 10w (L3, etc)
version 4 started with L (10w) and H (15w)
we quickly stopped making v4 L, so we only had a few v4 L3 and only in drops
by the time we made the first heads, we had only H boards
anything with fins is 4.0 H1 or H3

4.1 heads (E and F) are wasp only

jbbknives

Newly Enlightened
Glad this thread turned in to some good info.
I've quickly became a big fan of these.
dfefa01cd5be33cf7f4e130165f623ea.jpg

chengkhi

Newly Enlightened
Thanks people here for the confirmation ... Glad it all worked out and its a misunderstanding...

Latest posts