• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Moddoolar Triple Wasp Cooling Head and Glow System

gktii

Enlightened
Agreed! The only thing wrong here is the confusion and none of that was your (Rich's) fault:

Our team put a hard to understand indicator LED on the board
Our team decided to leave it an undocumented feature
Our team released a product with an issue that increased scrutiny
Our team shipped you a light with a defect we did not detect

Its our job to make that right and anything you do to help is a favor to us

THIS, is what makes working with these guys such a pleasure. If only every company thought this way...Thank you for leading the pack...And why i'm a fan for life! :twothumbs

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Working it out with oveready.

This http://www.rushmedia.de/ee/files/HiveLD_User_Documentation_McG.pdf

Would be awesome. Possible?

For those who want to micro-manage their tools, OK, but I wonder how many people really want that much control and complexity. The ZebraLight user-interface does it for me; plenty of USEFUL, practical options. For the field, though, a 3 or 4 mode fills the bill. Actually, my pure Thrower has only two modes (medium and 100%) and that works simply and effectively for its job. Because of the lack of functional consistency experienced when purchasing previous P60 dropins (none have been Oveready) the last one I bought was a one mode, triple Nichia 219B 5000K set for ~3.8 Amps. Very bright, does not overheat unless tailstanding in a warm place.

If and when the Oveready Team crafts a board that is specifically made for a single 18650 with regulation, etc., I will definitely be getting a Wasp Head. Was hoping that it would be a larger reflector for significantly more throw and hopefully the single emitter will be an efficient blaster that is without the conventional dome yet without the ugly green/yellow tint shift... I can wait.

If I am navigating in the wilds, and hear a strange or alarming sound, the light needs to get to 100% now, so no memory/comes on 100% (every time) is what is needed. It is understandable that some want to maintain low light whenever possible and Oveready handles that with always-turns-on in low mode. Then it is easy to go to medium, if necessary, without flashing the eyes indoors or wherever.

CandlePowerForums App

richstag

Enlightened
I get not wanting complexity. But what I linked doesn't HAVE to be complex. It just CAN be. I believe you can set it for no memory. You can set for pretty much anything you can think of. Or, you can set a few important parameters and leave the rest alone. Default it cycles four brightness levels with memory. The amount of options makes this a system that could actually attract more customers. You can have it how you want.

You have to solder the jumper to be able to access the programming. Then you have to be a rocket scientist to initially memorize the signaling. But then it's eyes closed easy.

For those who want to micro-manage their tools, OK, but I wonder how many people really want that much control and complexity. The ZebraLight user-interface does it for me; plenty of USEFUL, practical options. For the field, though, a 3 or 4 mode fills the bill. Actually, my pure Thrower has only two modes (medium and 100%) and that works simply and effectively for its job. Because of the lack of functional consistency experienced when purchasing previous P60 dropins (none have been Oveready) the last one I bought was a one mode, triple Nichia 219B 5000K set for ~3.8 Amps. Very bright, does not overheat unless tailstanding in a warm place.

If and when the Oveready Team crafts a board that is specifically made for a single 18650 with regulation, etc., I will definitely be getting a Wasp Head. Was hoping that it would be a larger reflector for significantly more throw and hopefully the single emitter will be an efficient blaster that is without the conventional dome yet without the ugly green/yellow tint shift... I can wait.

If I am navigating in the wilds, and hear a strange or alarming sound, the light needs to get to 100% now, so no memory/comes on 100% (every time) is what is needed. It is understandable that some want to maintain low light whenever possible and Oveready handles that with always-turns-on in low mode. Then it is easy to go to medium, if necessary, without flashing the eyes indoors or wherever.

CandlePowerForums App

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I understand that Oveready is a small shop and cannot support hundreds of SKUs which is why they stick with HML, LMH, and High only. Programmable drivers give the end user options at the cost of complexity which will both attract some and drive others away. I own one programmable drop-in and so far I really like it. No matter what, the light has to be reliable and work every time. I have been bitten by the Oveready bug and look forward to the products they develop.

richstag

Enlightened
I want to summarize and clear up any confusion I may have caused.

This pic shows the red LED that is pulsing on and off:

It will do this with any cell I put in. I am told this function is normal operation.

With any 18650, VTC5, NCR18650B unprotected and protected, the pulsing red LED does NOT effect main LED brightness levels.

See video:

With dual IMR 18350 AW's purchased from Oveready and charged to 4.20v on Xtar VP1 the main LED's DO change in brightness directly in relation to the pulsing of the red LED signal.

See video:

I have been in contact with Oveready, which I am obviously supporting through my wallet, picture reviews and comparisons.

I do not want a refund of this light. I want the light. Oveready is doing everything in their power to help me. So please, do not take any negative connotations away from any of this...

I hope this helps to clarify any of the fan's concerns.

I would like to thank everyone again for the help.

Thanks,

Kevin

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
No confusion there richstag.
Definitely something weird going on there and I'm sure Oveready will take care of you.
On both of my Oveready P60 drop ins I've noticed a routine mild pulse of the LED's(can't remember the exact amount of seconds spacing) on the medium level, happens with 1x18650 and 2x18350. I did read about it as noted by another user a while back, I'm surprised I haven't read more mention of it.
Never really bothered me too much but it appears to be normal for the P60's.
What's going on with your light looks like it definitely would be distracting though, hope you get it sorted out soon.

Last edited:

richstag

Enlightened
Me too and thanks. Yeah, I wasn't scrutinizing the light at all either. I was just using it on low and I noticed it against the objects I was illuminating with it. Its fairly obvious on low in use. Moving it around not so much, but if you need to look at something with the light you will have your eyes adjust to the changes in brightness.

I hope to have it all worked out. I was planning (still am) to buy the 2600 lumen version for my dad when it comes out.

Thanks,

Kevin

No confusion there richstag.
Definitely something weird going on there and I'm sure Oveready will take care of you.
On both of my Oveready P60 drop ins I've noticed a routine mild pulse of the LED's(can't remember the exact amount of seconds spacing) on the medium level, happens with 1x18650 and 2x18350. I did read about it as noted by another user a while back, I'm surprised I haven't read more mention of it.
Never really bothered me too much but it appears to be normal for the P60's.
What's going on with your light looks like it definitely would be distracting though, hope you get it sorted out soon.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

I understand that Oveready is a small shop and cannot support hundreds of SKUs which is why they stick with HML, LMH, and High only. Programmable drivers give the end user options at the cost of complexity which will both attract some and drive others away. I own one programmable drop-in and so far I really like it. No matter what, the light has to be reliable and work every time. I have been bitten by the Oveready bug and look forward to the products they develop.

The pluses of being a small shop include taking risks larger shops can't, pivoting faster with new developments, and doing things the way we want them done (to our standards). But being a small shop also means not having the resources to go after everything we want at the same time. In this case, we could go after programmability or we could go after higher power levels. Since we can't do both, we have to pick which to do first. Since the point of this head is power, that has to come first.

We are working to increase power as we speak. Once that is solved, we can work on programability during purchase. Once thats solved, we can work on additional features. But yes, not being locked into specific models would fix a raft of stocking issues, while also improving at-purchase-customizability (more effective models available at check out).

Any ETA on the XPL heads?

One of my responsibilities is preventing buyers remorse. We don't want to launch the XPL head, then launch again with an improved version in to brief a period of time. Development of the high power board is (so far) going faster than expected. XPL production is on temporary hold while we consider how aggressively to move on it.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
Thanks for all your hard work Oveready. I look forward to the XPL with high power board. PayPal ready!

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely can't wait for the XP-L. I can actually because it will be awesome!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Do you guys know when the Moddoolar pocket will be released again?

Short answer: summer

Long answer:
We are working on another (small) batch of 219 heads, but several existing customers have first dibs.

New XPL heads start the 3 month assembly process as soon as this week, putting their availability in June.

greenadam29

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good! When will the 219'heads be coming around? Can I be a backup if someone doesnt take one or are there some that will definitely go for sale?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Darn. I prefer e sized heads but these are so tempting. The one thing that saves me is I cannot make up my mind whether I would prefer a neutral XPL or the 219b. I bet it would be ok in my pocket though. I always wear jeans. I'm so glad there are none for me to buy now.