Modern Technology and times

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
How fast does your ebike go raggie. Does it take hills well? Looks like it has pedals also, so on a straight or downhill a person could get some exercise. That pedaling motion is good for my messed up legs.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
How fast does your ebike go raggie. Does it take hills well? Looks like it has pedals also, so on a straight or downhill a person could get some exercise. That pedaling motion is good for my messed up legs.

not sure on speed but it feels fast and ya i peddle a lot

Poppy

Flashaholic
My main gripe about video streaming is the horrific fragmentation of the market and the resulting penalty to user experience. Managing multiple accounts is an annoyance, but the fact that one also has to use every provider's bespoke application to access content is aggravating. I'm willing to pay for content and may well want to wander into Netflix's app so I can see whatever their algos think I want to watch, but I may well want to watch, say, The Expanse and The Mandelorean without wading through the Prime and Disney+ apps respectively.
We have some apps that we pay for and others not. So we may watch a few episodes on one app, and a few of something else on another. I don't keep a log of what we watched, nor of which app it was on. I'll end up going through the different apps looking for something in particular, or just something that we found interesting. Last night I decided, that I hadn't seen all of the episodes of "The Equalizer" Prime video had it for a cost. I decided to try to search for it.

I have a roku TV, and the search presented a few options to get it, some at a cost, some for free if you paid for the particular app, and still for free if I installed the CBS app. It is a free over the air tv show. I quickly installed the CBS app, and watched a couple of episodes.

Hopefully the search feature will be as productive for other programs/shows.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's getting power at the plug, so I need to test the rest now. Them rats got my light working in the utility room again and I was suspicious that they did something to the 220 wires. I guess they did to the 220 wires the ac plugs in. It runs 5 minutes and pops real bad and trips a breaker. Cools the trailer real good till it does. My wife is scared to use it like that. The 220 wire is rigged from the old central air unit and dogs might have hit it chasing the cats.

How are you still alive GP?

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technology is rarely the problem itself, but rather the way we use it. Similarly to money, while it does not guarantee one's happiness in and of itself, it can certainly solve many problems that would otherwise create discomfort or stress factors. In other words, technology does not make you happy, but it certainly makes it easier to be happy.

By most standards I still consider this world to be very primitive. While we have certainly come a long way in many aspects from times like the dark ages, in just as many respects the world has not changed much at all.

Our state of medicine is still relatively primitive, and freely accessible, high quality medical care has yet to be established throughout the world. The planet is still divided into many separate nation states, warring and competing with each other like tribes in the stone age. Racism, discrimination and war follows. The world has yet to unite. There is no unified language, financial or political system. Our worlds politics are mostly corrupt and inefficient, manipulated by influential corporations and guided more by self-interest then the good of their people. No global financial safety net for citizens, requiring us to work for our basic survival. Such a net is necessary to create an environment of true freedom and self-actualization. The lack of modern manufacturing, automation and the lacking ability to synthesize natural elements and chemical compounds leads to scarcity. Poverty and hunger are not the exception, but the standard throughout most of the world. Transportation is slow and not globally accessible to everyone, travel throughout the world is restricted and complicated. The large-scale consumption of meat is still the standard in most parts of the world, creating enormous environmental damage, even leaving aside the moral implications. Rampant overpopulation, as a large family is the only social and financial safety that exists in most places. People are forced to work in menial, dangerous and labor-intensive environments, due to lack of automation of most essential fields of work, and due to lack of choice. There is so much more.

Much of this has to do with a lack of technology, some of which will not be accessible to us for the next 100 years. Much of it does not. As long as we have not solved these problems, we cannot call ourselves a truly modern, united and civilized society. At the moment we have fancy toys to play with, but our minds still live in the stone age.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olumun, I admit some things are better, but in the name of progress we have bean counters that cheapen products and makes certain products that used to last way longer only last a little while. Some of us would be glad to pay a little more for quality on stuff we depend on daily. Trucks are expensive enough, but when you can't buy a half ton truck that will hold up to some light to moderate work like my 71 does there is something wrong. It now takes a 3/4 to one ton truck that will hold up to what half tons in the 70s, 80s and maybe 90s would do. Companies are for the most part using this technology to their advantage, but not for the sake of the buyer who can't even fix the new fangled stuff.
The peasants don't have access to nor can they afford the good stuff if there is any.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm an angry peasant. I'm alright though- Just give me some corn bread and turnip greens and watch my attitude change.....for a few hours at least.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Companies are for the most part using this technology to their advantage, but not for the sake of the buyer who can't even fix the new fangled stuff.
The peasants don't have access to nor can they afford the good stuff if there is any.
You said it, the "good stuff" still exists, it's just prohibitively expensive or unavailable to the average consumer (meaning only to professionals, companies and industries). That as well as planned obsolescence and modern companies' attitude towards repair, sucks, but that's exactly my point. Technology ≠ planned obsolescence/bad products. The technology itself is good and not the problem, it's how we, as a society, decide to use it.

In my rant I was focusing more on our societal problems that exist despite our technology, and how some of those problems probably won't be solved for some time, due to lack of certain technologies, especially key manufacturing technologies and automation. Also sophisticated computers that will eventually replace man in most fields of work or make them obsolete, including logistics and government. Humans don't make very good leaders, and aren't very intelligent.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
You said it, the "good stuff" still exists, it's just prohibitively expensive or unavailable to the average consumer (meaning only to professionals, companies and industries). That as well as planned obsolescence and modern companies' attitude towards repair, sucks, but that's exactly my point. Technology ≠ planned obsolescence/bad products. The technology itself is good and not the problem, it's how we, as a society, decide to use it.

In my rant I was focusing more on our societal problems that exist despite our technology, and how some of those problems probably won't be solved for some time, due to lack of certain technologies, especially key manufacturing technologies and automation. Also sophisticated computers that will eventually replace man in most fields of work or make them obsolete, including logistics and government. Humans don't make very good leaders, and aren't very intelligent.
Oh, ok. You said it so smooth and nice I didn't know it was a rant. My words seem angry- yours don't.
Now I understand and I agree 100%.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
71 truck is giving me window roller trouble. 63, 64, 65, 66 chevy trucks NEVER gave me trouble like that. Owned a 76 that did fine- they must have fixed the stupidity they did on the 67-72's. I might have to get some new window regulators.

Stupid bean counters. 71 was when the vega came out.....I guess they "tweaked" a few other vehicles instead of stopping with the vega. The vega was a bean counter deluxe.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I saw a Vega the other day. A yellow wagon. It had giant slicks on the back and a monster hood scoop. It was on a trailer so I suppose it was on the way to a drag strip.

Back then (I'm not sure what year it was) GM execs visited Soichiro Honda (proniunced So-eech-ee-row) to ask him to build engines for them. Mr. Honda's company was hemoraging money due to him trying to build F1 cars. He did not care about a giant corparation. He was all about building race cars and drinking sokee.

Ironically his F1 cars were RWD but his production cars were FWD. When GM asked him to build them engines for RWD cars he said "nope, that would mean the engine would have to rotate in the opposite direction so not interested". GM execs went back home and tried to out Honda Honda. Where Mr Honda's racing blood meant build things to last GM was trying to build things cheap.

The rest is history. At some point Chrysler and Ford execs secretly met with Mr Honda only to hear the same answer. GM at one point made a deal with Toyota and a small version of the Nova resulted. That led to Saturn being developed but that little Nova was one fine automobile in terms of reliability.

These days they are all about the same in general. The Kia is getting better while the long term players are getting worse. There's just so many gadgets and gizmos that can fail on the modern day rolling appliances.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the small nova became the geo prism- such a sissy name, but I had one and man...., that was soooome car for sure. I would like to buy another.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the hondai's (not honda) have become pretty good also. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't hondai and kia both built in Korea?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
These days I can more or less take or leave what Hollywood has to offer, increasingly the latter.

But, just finished binge-watching Star Trek Discovery, latest in the franchise I think; 15 episodes, over 11 hours in less than a week. Interesting though they've plagarized some stuff from the original, including Harry Mudd, ion storm causing exchange of good/bad people between parallel universes (ISS <shipname> etc.) and thankfully no Spock with beard. Lots of fighting with Klingons though.

Anyone who likes police-related drama with some semblance of character development and not depending on lots of car chases/explosions/shoot-em-ups: lots of series from the U.K and elsewhere. Try DCI Banks, Line of Duty (superb, and not to be confused with Call of Duty), Rebus, Shetland, Loch Ness, Happy Valley (also not to be confused with something else with the same name), Hidden (from Wales), The Fall (with Gillian Anderson of X-Files fame), The Level, Jack Taylor, Broadchurch (very intense) etc. There are other good ones; and a few turkeys in the mix, won't mention them.

Also good ones from Australia and New Zealand include: Janet King, The Code (excellent mini-series), Deep Water, Brokenwood Mysteries, East West 101, Doctor Blake, list goes on.

Dave

edit: some of above is not police drama, but good regardless. I forgot "The Detectorists";
funny, kind of goofy, nobody gets killed or even seriously hurt... just light entertainment.

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrong thread, Dave.

Hopefully, the thread title will soon appear at the top of every post. That way we won't need to go to the top of the page to be reminded which thread we're reading/posting in.
Sorry, I was reading first page of this very long thread, where they were discussing such things, when I posted.

Anyway, out of topic or otherwise, hope this is useful (and OP gave thumbs-up :) )

Dave

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hey, binge watching tv shows in syndicate is a sign of these modern times, right?
Used to be you had to wait for the re-runs to show up on cable. That was kinda cool because you had that to look forward to. Now, you can download or buy the box set.

I screen shot your list Dave for next time I'm in a store with dvd's and blu ray's.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
71 truck is giving me window roller trouble. 63, 64, 65, 66 chevy trucks NEVER gave me trouble like that. Owned a 76 that did fine- they must have fixed the stupidity they did on the 67-72's. I might have to get some new window regulators.

Stupid bean counters. 71 was when the vega came out.....I guess they "tweaked" a few other vehicles instead of stopping with the vega. The vega was a bean counter deluxe.
Lol, stupid blonde (me)- grease and oil do wonders.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Once upon a time my auto entertainment system was an 8-track or cassette when the radio sucked. Now I have bluetooth fed music from a phone.

Back then a tape was pretty reliable if you cleaned the head from time to time. Bluetooth aint bad but the other day my truck radio forgot my phone mid-song. It just quit reading the signals from the phone.

In the old days if my tape player ate a tape I could rip it out and pop in another……while driving. Yet when the ford sync forgot my phone the safety stuff would not allow me to "delete" the phone and re-pair, nor would it allow me to factory reset the infotainment system while in motion. It warns against ejecting a compact disc or inserting one as well. However it will allow me to manually dial a phone number on the keypad or manually scan radio stations one frequency at a time, which are actually way more distracting than ejecting a cd or paiting a device.

I can't say I miss that 8-track player but I do understand that first world problems can make one truely understand just how far we've come yet while still having the aggrevation of things not working.