More EV fires after salt water flooding

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my new sonata hybrid flooded by Sandy, batteries did not explode nor caught on fire.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like ICE cars and think hybrids can be a good thing if done right. EV's, IMO, are not perfected yet, and should not be mass produced yet. The technology isn't where it needs to be, and neither is the infrastructure to support them. Kalifornia has blackouts as it is, how are they going to support charging all those EV's that they want? I think the fuel cell and Toyota's new engine may be the answer we are looking for.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think hybrids are temp band aid, I had one, there are different types of hybrids, some are optimized for highway, others for city, ford and toyota are city hybrids, sonata is a highway. I saw no noticeable gas saving with my sonata compared to my 4 cyl accord, city driving, and in a winter time it was even more thirsty than accord, but i could drive close to 700 miles on a tank on a highway, if i did not floor it, and kept it at 55-60 mph max. some guys got even 1000 miles, but they drove at 45mph, and they tailgated other cars for less air resistance, not my style of driving. The hybrid sonata was more complicated than ice, but it did have more options, including things that only available on a hybrid trim. However it was my first and a last hybrid.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think hybrids are an "in between" technology and full electrics will never become the "solution", but as long as there is no solution on the horizon
?
That typed my last cars were ~135 horsepower diesels, the actual Corolla a 180 HP Hybrid,
running at about the same consumption.
For a non Diesel, and flooring it (the same way than the other cars) I am quite surprised and satisfied

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I also think hybrids are an "in between" technology and full electrics will never become the "solution", but as long as there is no solution on the horizon
?
That typed my last cars were ~135 horsepower diesels, the actual Corolla a 180 HP Hybrid,
running at about the same consumption.
For a non Diesel, and flooring it (the same way than the other cars) I am quite surprised and satisfied
You simply don't know the damage to the environment you are doing and the savings you're missing out on. We have a fully electric house with two electric vehicles. We traveled 12,000 miles and heated the house and made hot water. All household functions with no fossil fuel. We have owned a 2.4kw solar system for 20 years. Last year our total energy bill was $550.00. We now have a Tesla III and a Leaf. Will replace Leaf with a Model Y. Looking to add a battery and more solar capacity.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I like ICE cars and think hybrids can be a good thing if done right. EV's, IMO, are not perfected yet, and should not be mass produced yet. The technology isn't where it needs to be, and neither is the infrastructure to support them. Kalifornia has blackouts as it is, how are they going to support charging all those EV's that they want? I think the fuel cell and Toyota's new engine may be the answer we are looking for.
Sir you are a victim of FUD. Fear, uncertainty and doubt. Every day we don't get rid of fossil fuel is 10 billion in the pockets of Big Oil. On sunny days California is 100% powered by renewable energy. Get the facts. I have had very good results. Over 20 years I have been switching appliances and getting solar. Last year during the pandemic, we sold the gas range, bought induction and the cookware with the proceeds. Saved the 10 dollar access fee for gas. Long story short, we spent $550 for the year for all energy use. Partly due to all the tree huggers that want to give us a free charge and charging for free at work. We now own a Tesla III and a Leaf. Soon to replace the Leaf with a Model Y. My son has the Leaf we got rid of to get the Tesla. Now my daughter wants the other Leaf after we get the model Y. Get the facts and stop listening to Fox news or anyone else that has oil stock.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
SO what if they have 10 billions, that is a good thing, can you see beyond that "environmental programming"?, like that money are put into economy, hundreds of different industries exist, and millions have jobs. What do you offer, close those industries, and buy batteries from china?? than flood our land fields with them and poison out ground waters? Where do you think power to charge your tesla's come from? You oppose oil, fossil fuel, nuclear, but you preach solar and wind?? yea it barely capable to make a fraction of power, while destroying farmland, I've seen huge fields that used to grow crops, now are solar farms, YEa, and china keeps buying our farmland as well, like there is no tomorrow, and not just farm land,. This green terrorism is exponentially worse than anything you paint as a threat. I can smell Karl Marx in your post.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sir you are a victim of FUD. Fear, uncertainty and doubt. Every day we don't get rid of fossil fuel is 10 billion in the pockets of Big Oil. On sunny days California is 100% powered by renewable energy. Get the facts. I have had very good results. Over 20 years I have been switching appliances and getting solar. Last year during the pandemic, we sold the gas range, bought induction and the cookware with the proceeds. Saved the 10 dollar access fee for gas. Long story short, we spent $550 for the year for all energy use. Partly due to all the tree huggers that want to give us a free charge and charging for free at work. We now own a Tesla III and a Leaf. Soon to replace the Leaf with a Model Y. My son has the Leaf we got rid of to get the Tesla. Now my daughter wants the other Leaf after we get the model Y. Get the facts and stop listening to Fox news or anyone else that has oil stock.
Sir, you are a victim of Ivory Tower bias.

Just because this Green revolution works for you, doesn't mean that it is appropriate or wise for everyone else. You need to look beyond your little world, and recognize the misery that all this transition has wrought. NOTHING IS FREE, EVEN SOLAR ENERGY. Someone paid dearly to produce that solar array that you profit from. And "free" charging at work, is not free--it cost someone money to provide it to you. Put on the sunglasses, and see people and the world as they truly are.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does not even work for him, that is an illusion, cut the grid from his house, and see how much power his solar really makes, it wont be enough to run his fridges. let alone AC and charge his Tesla's. But he is in SF, have him move to NY, or other not so warm regions, and see how much his solar will make in a winter, with short daylight. This myth of sustainable renewable energy has been debunked by a simple calculator, that is not even considering that jets and ships still use oil for fuel, more in one day than all cars use a year. And we need them to bring all those "free' batteries from china along with other crap that we no longer make in USA,

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does not even work for him, that is an illusion, cut the grid from his house, and see how much power his solar really makes, it wont be enough to run his fridges. let alone AC and charge his Tesla's. But he is in SF, have him move to NY, or other not so warm regions, and see how much his solar will make in a winter, with short daylight. This myth of sustainable renewable energy has been debunked by a simple calculator, that is not even considering that jets and ships still use oil for fuel, more in one day than all cars use a year. And we need them to bring all those "free' batteries from china along with other crap that we no longer make in USA,
Don't forget the cargo ships from China. Just one trip to Frisco (see what I did there?) I bet uses a lot of petroleum. Hmmm, I guess all those solar panels, lithium cells and wind turbines coming from China just aren't as environmental as the Greenies think. Tsk, tsk. All that pollution, all that CO2, my, my. We are causing pollution with our GREEN movement! :awman::wtf::poop:

mrfixitman

Enlightened
SO what if they have 10 billions, that is a good thing, can you see beyond that "environmental programming"?, like that money are put into economy, hundreds of different industries exist, and millions have jobs. What do you offer, close those industries, and buy batteries from china?? than flood our land fields with them and poison out ground waters? Where do you think power to charge your tesla's come from? You oppose oil, fossil fuel, nuclear, but you preach solar and wind?? yea it barely capable to make a fraction of power, while destroying farmland, I've seen huge fields that used to grow crops, now are solar farms, YEa, and china keeps buying our farmland as well, like there is no tomorrow, and not just farm land,. This green terrorism is exponentially worse than anything you paint as a threat. I can smell Karl Marx in your post.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
You are listening to too much BS. I do this out of cleaning up the environment and self-interest. Try and spend $550 a year for energy. You can't do it if you buy gas. If you have electrical devices and solar or wind, why do you need the power company or big oil. I do not miss going to the gas station. Ground water? Ask those near fracking! Fission looks good. Hydrogen? You can't park a hydrogen car in a garage or drive cross country. $15 bucks a gallon. Too expensive for me. Solar farms are usually over parking lots. Keeps cars cool. Toyota's Ammonia car, hahahahahah. Fu@& Karl Marx. Do what's right for society and yourself. $550 a year...beat that. Self-interest overall. Do you really think about all those that lost their jobs shoveling horse manure? Hydrogen will be needed for clean steel........do some research and smell the reality of science.
Don't forget the cargo ships from China. Just one trip to Frisco (see what I did there?) I bet uses a lot of petroleum. Hmmm, I guess all those solar panels, lithium cells and wind turbines coming from China just aren't as environmental as the Greenies think. Tsk, tsk. All that pollution, all that CO2, my, my. We are causing pollution with our GREEN movement! :awman::wtf::poop:
Works for me. You have to "really " do your math. Highly insulated house. Efficient devices. Offshore turbines. Tidal production. Thinking outside the box. https://thesustainablehome.net/the-dumont-house/

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are listening to too much BS.
Yea and it is yours.
What if i told you I pay 0 for electricity, none, zip, but it does not mean it is free. it is just included in my maintenance, i do not have an electric bill. sounds great right? well there is a lot behind it, just like behind your numbers, which is why they are meaningless.
What about them frackers? those evil guys who pump water into reservoirs that already has oil, so it is extracted easier? pretty much harmless compared to what batteries do, since we do not recycle them.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Works for me. You have to "really " do your math. Highly insulated house. Efficient devices. Offshore turbines. Tidal production. Thinking outside the box. https://thesustainablehome.net/the-dumont-house/
Well show us the math, but better yet show us where it actually works, real world examples, how much it costs to build and maintain, how much per kw, and how profitable it is for a company to even invest without subsidies, . cuz i really do not see much of them around. I winder why. yea i know there are lost of wind turbines worldwide, but how much they actually make compared to an average powerplant. their kw/$ ratio

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice comeback. But I still only spent $550 for a year including cars and my daughter running a space heater all winter.
Try unplugging from the grid and see how far you'll get just on solar, how much did you pay for panels? nothing? , maybe if you were paying full price, no subsidies, the number would be much higher?
Federal and state credits are around 25%-30% each, that is just for home owners, companies have their own tax brakes, where do these money come from? from raising taxes on gasoline. that is why we pay more, btw electric cars do not pay tax that is in gas prices, and is used for infrastructure maintenance, roads and stuff. so again we pay your share,.

Last edited: