Morimoto leds

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody have first hand experience with Morimoto headlights? I'm looking at upgrading our 2018 F150 to their xb hybrid model. Any idea what leds are used and cut/cri? Are they any better in that regard then the 6500k angry blue thats so prevalent in the auto world?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The Morimoto brand has what could be called a "criminal record" -- for many years every single item under that brand was just blatant garbage, completely illegal/non-compliant with safety regulations, etc. More lately they've been beginning to put out some products that are moving in the direction of legitimacy. Even still, they're designed to appeal to "tuners", which is a word that basically means children. If you don't like 6000K-6500K blue-white light with a big, deliberate blue-violet band above the much too sharp cutoff, then these are probably going to piѕѕ you off. However, their performance overall is objectively better than the headlamps Ford installs at the factory (halogen or LED), so it's pretty much a pay-your-money/take-your-choices kind of deal.

As far as CRI goes: poor, just like every other LED headlamp, whether OE or aftermarket.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Morimoto brand has what could be called a "criminal record" -- for many years every single item under that brand was just blatant garbage, completely illegal/non-compliant with safety regulations, etc. More lately they've been beginning to put out some products that are moving in the direction of legitimacy. Even still, they're designed to appeal to "tuners", which is a word that basically means children. If you don't like 6000K-6500K blue-white light with a big, deliberate blue-violet band above the much too sharp cutoff, then these are probably going to **** you off. However, their performance overall is objectively better than the headlamps Ford installs at the factory (halogen or LED), so it's pretty much a pay-your-money/take-your-choices kind of deal.

As far as CRI goes: poor, just like every other LED headlamp, whether OE or aftermarket.

As I would guess…. But I don't think there really is a good option for this truck.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
What I meant to put at the end of my post was that the Morimoto XB LEDs are the only real option if you're actually looking to upgrade the headlight performance on that truck. Everything else is trash. Pay attention to what you're shopping for, though. The XB LEDs are these, not the "XB Hybrid", which are kind of pointless given the existence of the cruddy Ford LED units.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
3376A493-4412-430E-B3B9-39D33B6F3607.png
Can you clarify why the more economic hybrids are undesirable? I'm looking at headlight performance, no interest in spending money on led parking/etc options.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well, pick your shopping source carefully...the one I linked is $400 cheaper than the MSRP you linked.

The XBs have more LEDs and more projectors, therefore more performance.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just used the manufacture website for model examples. I appreciate your insight.

For what it's worth they have this page somewhat hidden on their web site which seems to acknowledge that their products are not legal for use on the road.

Some users on Reddit have reported good performance from products they bought but 🤷‍♂️

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Virgil, have you seen the alpha Rex nova headlights? Seems they are using Osram flat black chips with their own custom projectors and compete directly with the Morimoto. Wondering if you have an opinion on them?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
They make a lot of LOL claims. See this thread and avoid their garbage.

(Even if we generously believe them that they make their "headlamps" out of Osram Flat Black chips and shade-harvested magic pixie dust, that's like making a ѕhit sandwich using organic stone-ground handmade sprouted whole wheat bread: it's still a ѕhit sandwich.)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you don't like 6000K-6500K blue-white light with a big, deliberate blue-violet band above the much too sharp cutoff, then these are probably going to piѕѕ you off.
The blue band cult is literally worshipping bad optics... but I guess that was a tell of some of the early projector HID systems so the love endures long after OEMs had learned to all but eliminate it. The hatred of "squirrel spotter" cutouts means lighting up highway signs with their missives about things like speed limits offensive to that crowd so I guess it's also in character.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the choice version of krytox to use on ti threads? Just the plain pfpe GPL205? Or the thicker 206 or 207 versions?

They make a lot of LOL claims. See this thread and avoid their garbage.

(Even if we generously believe them that they make their "headlamps" out of Osram Flat Black chips and shade-harvested magic pixie dust, that's like making a ѕhit sandwich using organic stone-ground handmade sprouted whole wheat bread: it's still a ѕhit sandwich.)

Thanks for the input and the chuckle!

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
A ѕhit sandwich using organic stone-ground handmade sprouted whole wheat bread: it's still a ѕhit sandwich.
That sounds like a wonderful sandwich to me, healthy and tasty with Medium Rare roast beef inside.
As for Morimoto 100% agreed.

Last edited: