Mossy 500 pipe bomb?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
After further consideration of all the add-on barrels available for Mossberg 500 shotguns ...... you have to match the right barrel to your ammo .

I think you simply fired a slug round thru the wrong choice of barrel .

I don't think a slug will go thru a choke tube .

( Go ask a primary gun store that sells Only guns ..... for more information)

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no shotty expert (.45 acp is my main firearm focus), but a solid slug into a full choke sounds like it could be the type of thing that would cause this kind of pressure backup, no?
It would be good to know, seeing as I am shopping for my first shotgun, and want to know EVERYTHING before I buy one.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did realize he said this back in post 12 .......
------------------------------------------------------------------
nemo quote :
I was shooting factory (winchester) loaded 2 3/4 slugs with no choke (open choke... not sure of the term here) but I had fired it earlier in the day with no problems.
----------------------------------------------------------------

But I'm still not sure about a slug thru an adjustable choke barrel ?

They make special smooth bore and rifled-slug barrels for slug use.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did realize he said this back in post 12 .......
------------------------------------------------------------------
nemo quote :
I was shooting factory (winchester) loaded 2 3/4 slugs with no choke (open choke... not sure of the term here) but I had fired it earlier in the day with no problems.
----------------------------------------------------------------

But I'm still not sure about a slug thru an adjustable choke barrel ?

They make special smooth bore and rifled-slug barrels for slug use.

Right you are. If he knew the choke he was using and had fired slugs already that day through it....well, one theory down.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Ive fired slugs with it before this incident with no problems at all, their foster slugs (pumpkin balls, cast slugs what ever your name of choice is) not sabot slugs, the only time you use a rifled shotgun barrel is with a sabot'd slug

The barrel isnt one with an adjustable choke its the accuchoke barrel that you screw in choke tubes with, again the tube that was in there causes NO constriction of the barrel, its the same size as the rest of the bore, anyways the choke would begin is a good 5 in away from where it blew

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad no one was hurt. You had the home defense 24" barrel on and thats what blew? There is no choke on that barrel, have you contacted the manufacturer yet?
Nice hat.:p Why is this thread so wide css........learn to post pics.:poke:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Just so that the correct information is available to someone happening upon this thread: Any slug labeled as "12 GA" can be fired through any 12 GA barrel & choke, even a full choke; however, "improved cylinder" or "cylinder" chokes typically provide the best accuracy results. Additionally, if you have have interchangeable choke tubes you should only fire the shotgun with a choke installed as this protects the threads. The OP says that he had a choke screwed in so he's safe there.

I personally don't feel that this was related to the skeet shooting that he was doing earlier. If he had a one in a million "squib" from factory ammo it would have been immediately apparent to the shooter. With a squib, there's zero recoil and nearly no sound. Now, perhaps this actually occurred but I can't imagine even a new shooter not checking the bore after such an event. That would defy logic and push the boundaries of the "Darwin award" as we've come to know it.

I think Diesel Bomber was spot on in his diagnostic thoughts, one being that the key to understanding this lies in the time frame between shooting skeet day/s prior and firing the slug on the day of the incident. Where was the gun and what could it have been exposed to? Was the gun stored muzzle up and uncased and if so what are the likely possibilities? Was it stored in a case and was there anything else in the case with it? Perhaps something entered through the chamber? Was it left outside or did a large beetle crawl down the barrel? Obviously you may never find out without the professional resources of a forensics team but if nothing else it will heighten you self awareness when cleaning or storing your gun.

Honestly, I don't typically check my bores unless I've just cleaned them, not to look for obstructions but to see if it's clean. If light didn't pass through the barrel I'd know something was wrong. The only other time I check my bore is if the gun goes click (not bang) and I eject and empty case. This scenario practically guarantees an obstruction. New shooters who are moving to quickly after a malfunction can blow up a gun if they're not careful. Once as a range officer at a local match I stopped a guy who had just fired a squib. This one happened to be reloaded ammo with a primer but now powder. The primer usually has enough force to push the projectile into the rifling and that's about it. He quickly tapped the mag and racked the slide of his open class pistol but the ejected cartridge looked awfully low on mass when it came out (no bullet). He started to extend the gun again and I yelled "STOP!" When you do that as an R.O. you just pray that you stopped the stage for a legitimate reason. Sure enough, there was a 130gr bullet stuck about a half inch into the rifling. The next +P+.38 Super into the chamber would have grenaded with injury to the shooter and perhaps myself. Instead, he saved his hands, face, and firearm and we used a cleaning rod to push the projectile though. That's a good ending.

Here's a perfect example
of a time to stop and inspect the bore. Rifle goes "click" shooter ejects an empty case which you can clearly hear. He assumes it's a "bad primer" as he calls it without even looking at what ejected during the initial failure. In fact, the primer was fine but the reloaded case had no power (first mistake). He's on camera, he's cocky, his friends are ribbing him effecting his judgment so he hurriedly tries to chamber additional rounds. After several attempted chamberings the bullet that stuck near the back of the rifling is eventually seated far enough to allow a round to move fully into battery. The trigger is pulled and you can see the results. (warning video contains language)

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some models of Mossberg 12 ga have stamped on the barrel "not for use with slugs", my understanding is that the 500 is not one with that limitation.
I for one always take care when firing slugs that the barrel is clean and lightly lubed, a day of blasting game load can coat the barrel with all kinds of foosties, but thats just me.:tinfoil:

Can someone please edit csshih's post with the wide angle pics?:p

Patriot

Flashaholic
Some models of Mossberg 12 ga have stamped on the barrel "not for use with slugs", my understanding is that the 500 is not one with that limitation.

Ah yes, very true. I believe that's the model 835 and the only shotgun that I know of marked that way. The reason for this is because it has a back bored barrel and the bore diameter is very large .780 compared to other types of 12 GA .730. There's no danger in firing slugs through an 835 but the accuracy would be atrocious. Rather than let the shooter figure this out himself, Mossberg chose to stamp the barrel this way. Ammo manufacturers will always list their slugs as shoot-able through any choke. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
No sir, as far as I know only accuracy issues since objects moving in a non-direct paths down shotgun barrels do not harm them. Various buck shots, flechettes, duplex loads, etc are all free to move loosely down the bore. With smooth bore muskets in the Civil War it was common to shove anything heavy down the barrel that would fit, if the ammo ran out. I'm sure there's information about it somewhere if you did a google search on the 835. Maybe I'll check later.

Patriot

Flashaholic
here...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=410776

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=392946

Here is another from mossberg that lists poor accuracy as the first reason, and then possible obstruction as a second reason, which was probably added in by lawyers. We used to shoot hand casted .20 gauge slug projectiles, as reloads, through 12 gauge all the time with no issue. If you look at some of the other sites, all of them attribute the reason for not doing so to poor accuracy, not because of a danger.
http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?ID=508&section=resources

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Free to move loosely, and being smaller multiple bits, but a slug of copper over lead moving as one piece at ~1200 fps down the barrel while wobbling could be a problem perhaps?

We have gone way off topic so I'll shuddup.:p

Or not......
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/1372193-post28.html

EDIT: I accept that Mossberg's statement may be Liability/Marketing driven, but I choose to err on the side of safety in my old age.:D

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right back at ya :buddies:
Did you notice my link was about another model 500 blowing up with a slug? :duck:
Nemo, you need to contact Mossberg.
Css, thanks for fixing your wide screen post.:p

Illum

Flashaholic
Did you notice my link was about another model 500 blowing up with a slug? :duck:
Nemo, you need to contact Mossberg.
Css, thanks for fixing your wide screen post.:p

Beamhead, is your Rem a 12 gauge as well?

wobbling shouldn't produce something like this...it'll give you a very poor shot at best, but the way it looks whatever that slug hit it looks like it was a solid obstruction.

Has anyone retrieved the slug yet? that might answer the question more definitively

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Did you notice my link was about another model 500 blowing up with a slug?

Sorry, I missed that. Going back to check it now...............

Illum
Has anyone retrieved the slug yet? that might answer the question more definitively
....um, I'm guessing that little gem turned mostly back into star dust...:eek:oo:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Did you notice my link was about another model 500 blowing up with a slug? /QUOTE]

Great link Beamhead!!! I only got the the end of page 2 before I got an "504 Gateway Time-out" error. I guess I'll have to go back and finish reading it tomorrow. It sounds eerily similar to the OP's blow up.