Most reliable: Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, or other?

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
Only had Fenix from the list and they have always been crap. I have about four or five E05 that no longer work and some older E models that take 123 also no longer work. Fenix does NOT honor they warranty !!!
The only Fenix that still works is E01 which is a copy design of Arc AAA.

All 4 - 5 E05 failed? :thinking: Just curious, in what way they all failed to light up? Because I have 2 older version of E05 dated back from 7 - 8 years ago and they both still work fine till this day. Most of my light are Fenix and none have failed so far, though my newer E05 had failed to light up twice and was remedied by just simply off and on it again.

Mean while, I only have one Nitecore which uses AA battery format since negative review I've read mostly are coming from the built-in rechargeable Li-ion(failed to charge, hold charge etc). One age old Eagtac still lights up, and two OK Lumintop. The only one failed me so far is...Zebralight. The SC51c I had just refused to light up at random due to electronic problem I guess.

roach1492

Newly Enlightened
I have had good luck with my Convoy lights,only 1 Fenix and no problem Zebra lights no problem. Ordered a Sunwayman last year had problems with the switch right off,didn't like the build quality got my money back.Had the tail spring come off my Manker EO2h,Jetbeam 1MK had to send in for service.

Climb14er

Enlightened
My Olight M30 Triton, since 2008/9, my bedside and road travel defense light... the tailcap clicky finally gave out. I called Olight, explained what happened, they sent me a refurbished clicky, no charge. KUDOS AND VERY NICE OF THEM. First malfunction of any Fenix, Eagletac, Zebralight, Surefire... I've ever had! Fortunate to have picked good models and designs.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Only had Fenix from the list and they have always been crap. I have about four or five E05 that no longer work and some older E models that take 123 also no longer work. Fenix does NOT honor they warranty !!!

seh6p.gif

Last edited:

PiePuncher

Newly Enlightened
Fenix does NOT honor they warranty !!!
The only Fenix that still works is E01 which is a copy design of Arc AAA.

Fenix has been great with communications every time I have contacted them.
I recently had an issue with a light and they offered to send me a new light out immediately. In my opinion, their customer service is top notch!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOST RELIABLE LED(non custom)

1. TIE-FENIX+Eagtac. Fenix is and has been the high output high feature LED Chinese made LED light standard for overall quality since they began really. Fenix is now overhauling their entire catalog to IP68 rated. I have had so may Fenix lights I lost count. The new IP68 rated Fenix models are built tight as a drum. Waterproof, dustproof, shockproof from a good height.

Eagtac. Despite not yet having followed both Fenix and even Nitecores lead of overhauling their catalogs to IP68 rated lights I have had just as stellar luck with my near THIRTY Eagtacs over the years. They are IPX8 so very good just not completely dustproof or watertight for as long. The ONLY downside to most of my Eagtacs is most of mine have their head twist UI. ANY head twist UI light must have its contact points in the head that change the modes cleaned on a regular basis with DeOxit Red. Do that and you are golden. Eagtacs are some of the MOST HIGH FEATURE high output lights there are. I still do not know of any other LED light maker that offer so MANY accessories for most of their catalog. I have noticed quite well over time that all my Eagtacs have EXTREMELY GOOD and well made electronics/drivers. Arguably some of the best non potted in the industry.

2. Maglite! Of COURSE they are the high value and reliable LED C and D cell King! The recent XML2 overhaul in their C and D cell big lights also have a stellar driver designed to run best off cheap alkalines. I must have every single new gen XML2 big Mag they have now. You want reliability and SUPER MEGA RUN TIME? How does 15+ hours at 600 ish lumens out of either the 3 cell C and D XML2 Mags BEFORE they start stepping down. I even have the new XML2 6 D Mag! I have yet to need a flashlight for THAT LONG A PERIOD OF TIME to even TELL when this 6 D cell XML2 hammer steps down. Made in the USA and cheap!

As for "Fenix does not honor their warranty" I have used their warranty service a few times on some VERY out of warranty beat up old Fenix lights and every single one of them was covered for free parts and labor. I only had to pay cheap shipping TO their surprising NEW YORK STATE repair shop. So Idk.

3. Olight! I have several Olights. They are actually about the most well made IPX8 LED lights I have yet seen. None of them has ever given me a single issue.

4. Nitecore-NC has come an EXTREMELY long way vs say 5 years ago. I used to DETEST NC. My first NC was the first P12. It drove me nuts! The lens only had the AR coating applied to HALF of it. The first issue NC P12 fried on me in about a month. Have had several more NC's with okay luck.

5. Sunwayman-What happened to Sunwayman? At one point several years ago when their still outstanding D40A 4xAA "shorty" came out their designs were well respected. The couple of Sunwaymans that I have had after that were just very dissappointing and very badly made(V11R and P25C).

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the three you named, probably Fenix is most reliable.
that said, I personally would not pick one of them for reliability unless you talk about the fenix e01, the cockroach of flashlights.
the only truly reliable lights will have twist switching and be fully potted. Peak, or Malkoff are my choices for a " bomb proof" reliable light.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Olight then nitecore. Fenix feel cheaper and never seen one with run times equal to the nitecore and Olight. My S1A runs significantly longer on the 200 lumens mode than my LD09 does with the same exact cell. Gave it to my wife and a week later it went into the junk drawer. Her reason, it dies too quick. She's constantly stealing my S1A.

king2penn

Enlightened
We sell all 3. Have to put Olight first, Fenix closeby behind & Nitecore in 3rd throughout our 10 year history of selling lights.

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
Fenix E01 is nearly indestructible. If you are asking about absolute reliably, you must look at HDS, SUREFIRE, OR MALKOFF. I know others will recommend McGizmo, although I have no personal experience with his lights, although it is on my bucket list...

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over the years, I've had the following lights fail on me...

HDS (Ra Twisty and Novatac 120P)
Fenix (TK35UE)
Malkoff (Wildcat)
Surefire (X300 and Saint)
Nitecore (TM16GT)
Imalent (DX80)

But never an Acebeam or Olight.

So from my personal experience owning many lights, Acebeam and Olight are the most reliable.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... Malkoff, in addition to rock-solid reliability, has unsurpassed customer service.
+1

Gene Malkoff is a rock star both for manufacturing an American-made light & for top notch customer service.

I've had problems with Nitecore headlights but not their flashlights.

Olight is my current favorite in a production light. The M2R Warrior is a great EDC light, 18650 with mag charging dock. The R50 Pro Seeker is my "avoid black skunks while walking the dog" light. We have an abundance of skunks & often see 3 or 4 every night. The R50 runs for hours on the 1500 lm setting & the 3200 lm Turbo Mode is nice for extra reach.

YMMV.

Simonbilodeau

Newly Enlightened
I bough 2 nitecore , problem with both, and they never answer or refound....fenix are very good, reliable but :candle:zebralight , just the best or the best!

markr6

Flashaholic
I like a lot of the ideas from Nitecore, but just can't trust them. The TM10K behemoth just announced...wow. Not touching that one :)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a lot of the ideas from Nitecore, but just can't trust them. The TM10K behemoth just announced...wow. Not touching that one :)

Yeah that TM10K looks nice. Flat rectangular shape. Fairly small. Looks small enough to easily fit in a pocket actually, though probably still too big for pocket EDC.

And incredible output! 10,000 lumens max from 6x XHP35... from a SINGLE cell light. The cell it comes with is very nice too (Samsung 48g... one of the best 21700 cells). The only other lights that hit that level of output tend to be much larger multi-18650 coke-can lights.

The downsides?
Costs $400! YIKES!!!!
Samsung 48G is built-in and not replaceable (at least not without desoldering the battery).
10,000 lumen turbo only lasts 7 seconds!!! I wonder if you can override the rampdown by holding the button down like you can with the Concept 1?

Even with the 7-seconds of turbo I'd still have been interested in buying this light, but $400 for a single light is way outa my price range.