Muyshondt Flieger Review

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review and an equally excellent light. Enrique is on a continued roll with each new release.

With regards to no clip, Enrique has posted in the Flieger release thread that a leather sheath with a belt loop attachment is in the works. :)

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slim chance I know but...any chance you have a 1.55X6 trit vial? Love to see if they could be put into any of the grooves on the light.

Great light, on my list.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one of those vials, but the deep grooves around the light are about 2 mm wide and look to be 2 mm deep. Not sure how you would make this work however as these grooves run right around the light.

I also don't think there is enough meat in the walls of the light to machine out some slots. I measure the wall thickness at 3.1 mm. I am not an expert in this regard.

You might be able to get some in the switch. I did not disassemble the switch to confirm (and won't).

eala

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply! I was thinking maybe on the vertical grooves that run up the body. It might be a possibility. Appreciate the measurement.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, those are way too small. I should take a photo of the light in my hand. It is quite a tidy light for 18650. Fits well in the hand.

eala

hatman

Enlightened
Thanks for the fine review.

I considered buying one during the pre-production promotional pricing but the lack of a clip was a deal-breaker. I also would have appreciated a complete set of specs before ordering, which wasn't available then.

positiveguy

Newly Enlightened
Lack of a clip killed it for me as well. I was so ready to order and I was for sure he would change his mind about the clip. Nope.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry it took a while sledhead.

R1071471_zpsry3wa7du.jpg

R1071472_zpshs3mytnw.jpg

R1071473_zps04fy4ix8.jpg

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
So w/c one you like better - the Flieger or the Beagle?

I don't really want to change this into a review of the Beagle, but there are aspects of each that I prefer. An ideal light would likely be the love child of these two. Having a clip on the Beagle is great, although I am not a fan of machined clips. The output of the Flieger is much more impressive. I prefer the battery access on the Beagle, but the size of the Flieger is better (it is larger, but feels better in the hand). Having the mule LEDs is nice on the Beagle, but not as useful as I first thought. I think the Flieger does a good enough job here at the lower levels.

I am really be looking forward to the Flieger Mk II if it ever comes to pass.

eala

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I posted already about this but I have a great idea for a lanyard design... I just need to get my light as well as my supplies to build it over here on this side of the pond.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eala,
Since you had hands on thanks fir explaining about the button top cells, my aw icr won't work. Have a couple duracell 123's but am I right to assume that the normal primary cells won't allow the light to put out full power? I read about this effect on another light... where as aw 18350 x2 may give it that ability to put out full power. At the moment the high beam is comparable to my HDS 250 tactical just brighter, wider and maybe a hair bit more throw. Thoughts?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if Muyshondt has a phone line?
In my testing of the prototype Flieger I ve got about the same throw as my HDS 250 however a much bigger hotspot. I m running Duracell primary 123 and nitecore rcr123/ 16340 at over 3200 mah (?).
They've advised that they haven't tested 16340's and won't answer as to whether this will be harmful for the light.
I don't have access to the muyshondt cells as I can't get them over here from the US.
Other only option is aw 18650 protected button top OR 2 x 18350 protected aw.
Any helpful advice would be appreciated