My Interest in Pocket Sized “Industrial” Flashlights

ericjohn

Enlightened
https://ericjohnmonier.com/2019/03/10/my-interest-in-industrial-pocket-sized-flashlights/

I have had a special fascination with pocket sized "Industrial" flashlights since 1994 at age seven. I have since transitioned to fancy the "Tactical" flashlights more, but the "Industrial" flashlights will always have a place in my heart. I am experiencing flu like symptoms right now, but need to meet up with my brother later this evening, so to pass the time, I am writing this.
In August of 1994, for doing well on a television interview, I was given several gifts, one of them was an Eveready Industrial 2 AA flashlight that I would carry on me almost everywhere I could. The model number I would later find out was Eveready IN-215.
This would seal the deal on my interest in pocket sized flashlights and was a factor in making me an early proponent of all things EDC.
The bulb blew out sometime in the latter part of 1995 and my mom instead of buying a new bulb, bought me an Eveready Value flashlight in March of 1996.
In late July of 1996, somewhat dissatisfied with my Eveready Value Lite, I purchased a 2AA Brinkmann flashlight. I to this day, do not remember the model number of it nor can I find any information whatsoever about it online. All I can do is give a physical description: I am almost sure it was made by Brinkmann. The main body was black and made of either ABS or PP or HDPE. I am almost sure it had a KPR104 bulb. The lens shroud was also plastic and made of glow in the dark material. To turn this flashlight on or off, one would turn the the lens shroud. I carried mine on me until about February of 1997, when, again, the bulb burned out. Afterwards, I had misplaced it. The last time I saw one of these being sold in stores was in November of 1998, around the time Hurricane Mitch ravaged Central America. The one sold in 1998 came with a fiber optic extension, but mine didn't.
In June of 1998, I had purchased my first of many and what would become another rare flashlight, the Garrity Mini Rugged Lite. The model number was R300G. Unfortunately a few weeks later, the switch system became bent, so I exchanged it for another one which I had until it fell apart on me. I bought another one in October of 1999, which I had and EDCed until I misplaced it sometime in 2001. The final one of these I had purchased in a store was in June of 2004 at K-Mart on clearance. I had it for a few weeks, but then it was ruined by leaking batteries. I had suffered a mental breakdown between the time of purchasing it and discovering it ruined by leaking batteries. In 2007, I had purchased one directly from Garrity as New Old Stock, but it was different than the usual ones, so I gave it away. In 2011, I was mailed one by a fellow Candle Power Forums member, after he had found out my obsession with that said flashlight. I have since purchased three more on eBay, one I had to repair the switch.
My interest in flashlights was also beginning to take off in 1998, though I kept quiet about it because I was afraid of being harassed by my peers for having an uncommonly avid interest in flashlights.
In September of 1998, around the time of Hurricane Georges, I had purchased a 2 AA Rayovac Value Lite which I had until my late teens.
For Christmas of 1998, one of the gifts I had received was a pack of flashlights that were a Wal Mart house brand. One ran on a single AAA battery and the other ran on 2 AAA batteries. They were made probably of PP and used Krypton bi pin bulbs. Actually they function quite similarly to a Mini Maglite and a Maglite Solitaire and could be used as candles. I had them and even EDCed them on and off until 2001.
In January of 1999 I purchased both a General Electric 2 AA flashlight which was Navy Blue and Yellow and I believe it was geared for automotive use. I also purchased a Sam's Choice (Wal Mart house brand) 2 AA flashlight which was an obvious knockoff of the Rayovac Industrials that were popular in the 1990s. These were misplaced over the course of growing up.
In March of 2000, I had purchased a Rayovac Industrial bundle pack which featured one 2 D and one 2 AA model sold together. These are now extremely rare as well, especially the 2 AA model. They closely resembled the Eveready Industrial line, unline the modern Rayovac Industrials. Also this 2 AA model came with a KPR104 or a K4 bulb instead of a bi pin bulb which is used on the modern 2 AA Rayovac Industrial flashlights. I wish I knew what happened to mine. As of the early to mid 2010s, there is a flashlight sold at some truck stops, which closely resembles the 1990s and early 2000s 2D Rayovac Industrial and is branded as Penzoil, but is a cheap knockoff.
In 2001 or 2002, my flashlight interest had waned a good bit, not to come back fully until 2005.
In the Summer of 2003, a new library was built which would many times feature interesting collections from local people. There was a collection of flashlights on display and me seeing this caused me to realize that there might be others out there who are interested in flashlights like I am. Prior to this, I was deeply ashamed of my flashlight interest and kept it quiet, in fear of harassment.
In January of 2004, I had just made seventeen and was seeking medical attention for my first of many ear infections. I was given a Cortisone shot and a round of oral antibiotics. While waiting for my prescription to be filled, I was looking around at the flashlights in Wal Mart and purchased a 2 AA Lumilite Industrial II flashlight with a push button switch. I did indeed EDC it for a while and I had it in my tool box until 2007 when it began to malfunction.
In the Summer of 2004, after suffering a mental breakdown, I was closely watched by my parents and didn't get out much. I had spent many hours on the computer looking at flashlights. The interest was coming back, but slowly.
In October of 2004, Academy Sports and Outdoors opened a store in my area and I went shopping there. That day, I had seen many flashlights that I didn't even know existed. This would be the beginning of the transition from my interest in pocket sized Industrial flashlights to pocket sized Tactical flashlights. However as I was an unemployed seventeen year old I couldn't afford any of the tactical flashlights sold at Academy. I will say this though, Academy had a much better selection of flashlight in those days as did Target and even Wal Mart.
In January of 2005, I began to carry a knife on me, except for when I was in school.
Then on May 1, 2005, I was shopping at Wal Mart and saw a Garrity LED Aluminum flashlight. It resembled the Tactical flashlights I had long coveted, but was actually afforable! On May 5, 2005, I purchased it and from that day, I had pretty much carried a flashlight on my person ever since…

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I understand the feeling if you've never spent a "lot" of money on a flashlight, but instead of buying multiples of the same light, consider spending $50-$60 on a truly nice light like a Prometheus Beta or a Foursevens Preon MKIII. Both companies are now owned by the same man. Believe me, when you try one of those flashlights side by side with what you have now you will absolutely know where the money went. It isn't just brightness. It's light quality, beam quality, and overall build quality of the entire light. Believe me they are rugged. I've had a Beta on my keys for about 4 years, and it has held up insanely well when I have dropped it, used it, beaten it...

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are giving the term "Industrial" a lot more credit that it might deserve here?
They big box manufacturers merely label these lights that way as a Marketing device and these lights while maybe Mainstream for availability and sales numbers are usually anything but Industrial in the sense that a lot of us might talk about here.

I am not saying that they are not good for what they are but what they are is cheap lights sold everywhere.

If you experiment even a little with a better class of lights I think you will be amazed at the step up in performance and as Frodo suggests you don't really need to spend a boatload of money either.

I would try any Streamlight of the modern Era or a Fenix and then see what you think.

You also don't mention Maglite or at least I didn't notice while skimming your Wall o' Text there but the Mag are in a whole other class than the lights you mention too for me and they can be purchased almost anywhere the others can too so you can see how good they are as well.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm impressed you remember all the lights you have owned all these decades. I hope you feel better soon. Stay hydrated. :)

fred_bloggs

Newly Enlightened
I keep a spreadsheet of memorable led torches this way I can record failures. I don't tend to record those LED directly connected to two coin cells. I like to buy two of everything and place one in my lab with say a solenoid automatically pressing the button until it fails to see if it matches the spec.

tjb

Newly Enlightened
I keep a spreadsheet of memorable led torches this way I can record failures. I don't tend to record those LED directly connected to two coin cells. I like to buy two of everything and place one in my lab with say a solenoid automatically pressing the button until it fails to see if it matches the spec.

Don't we all?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Industrial genre were typically a plastic light made of a bright, easy to spot color version of a dime store light that had a better grade of metals inside to provide a better reliability inside factories and/or warehouses.

These days there are still some industrial grade flashlights like the intrinsically safe Nite Stick that comes in a "Stevie Wonder could see it" shade of yellow and is a popular light with elevator mechanics and crane operators.

They were never intended as a light for tactical, law enforcement or other abusive type of roles.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I understand the feeling if you've never spent a "lot" of money on a flashlight, but instead of buying multiples of the same light, consider spending $50-$60 on a truly nice light like a Prometheus Beta or a Foursevens Preon MKIII. Both companies are now owned by the same man. Believe me, when you try one of those flashlights side by side with what you have now you will absolutely know where the money went. It isn't just brightness. It's light quality, beam quality, and overall build quality of the entire light. Believe me they are rugged. I've had a Beta on my keys for about 4 years, and it has held up insanely well when I have dropped it, used it, beaten it...

I now EDC several tactical flashlights, mostly Streamlight and NiteCore.

I have a Streamlight ProTac 2AAA and a Streamlight Junior in my EDC backpack among others.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I think you are giving the term "Industrial" a lot more credit that it might deserve here?
They big box manufacturers merely label these lights that way as a Marketing device and these lights while maybe Mainstream for availability and sales numbers are usually anything but Industrial in the sense that a lot of us might talk about here.

I am not saying that they are not good for what they are but what they are is cheap lights sold everywhere.

If you experiment even a little with a better class of lights I think you will be amazed at the step up in performance and as Frodo suggests you don't really need to spend a boatload of money either.

I would try any Streamlight of the modern Era or a Fenix and then see what you think.

You also don't mention Maglite or at least I didn't notice while skimming your Wall o' Text there but the Mag are in a whole other class than the lights you mention too for me and they can be purchased almost anywhere the others can too so you can see how good they are as well.

I own a bunch of Maglites, but I don't use them like I used to. They are mostly backup lights and I have some incandescent ones stockpiled in case of an EMP.

I was eighteen when I switched from Industrial to Tactical, but throughout my childhood, I was hooked on Industrial types of flashlights.

They are plastic, but they are built to withstand a moderate amount of abuse, plus they are non conductive, which makes them ideal for working on live circuits. I wrote an article about that on my blog almost a year ago and may have posted it on here as well.

https://ericjohnmonier.com/2018/04/...still-manufactured-and-successfully-marketed/

ericjohn

Enlightened
I'm impressed you remember all the lights you have owned all these decades. I hope you feel better soon. Stay hydrated. :)

I have a razor sharp memory and can even recall events in my life prior to my first birthday.

Thank you for your concern and advise, I'm glad to say that I don't have the Flu or Pnemonia, Praise God, but I am battling a severe sinus infection that basically feels as bad as the Flu.

That is what I was diagnosed with at Urgent Care today.

I know exactly how I got it too:

One of my hobbies other than flashlights is working on computers.

There were two that I had been working on last week that had a lot of dust in them and I was exposed to the dust, which caused me to get a sinus infection.

There is another computer project I plan to do in the upcoming days involving old dusty computers but not until I buy a respirator, because I have been miserable with this sinus infection...

ericjohn

Enlightened
The Industrial genre were typically a plastic light made of a bright, easy to spot color version of a dime store light that had a better grade of metals inside to provide a better reliability inside factories and/or warehouses.

These days there are still some industrial grade flashlights like the intrinsically safe Nite Stick that comes in a "Stevie Wonder could see it" shade of yellow and is a popular light with elevator mechanics and crane operators.

They were never intended as a light for tactical, law enforcement or other abusive type of roles.

Growing up in highly industrialized South Louisiana as a child, there were plenty of Industrial and Contractor grade flashlights available.

My family didn't subscribe to Internet until the Summer of 2000, when I was 13.5, so I had a very limited knowledge of what flashlights were exactly available.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My idea of industrial light was those sold by Pelican and Underwater Kinetics that were propolymer and sealed. I too wanted the ultimate pocket light and had several Pelican mitylite 2AAA incans they were nice and bright and got about 90 minutes runtime off quality alkalines back then but the drawback was the bulb "modules" didn't last very long I went through about 4 of them over about a year and a half and they were expensive to replace you had to order them from Pelican and with shipping cost 8 dollars a bulb the lights cost 15 plus shipping. I decided to try the side by side UK2AAA incans as Walmart had them for sale for $6.99 back then with a hat clip and they were almost as bright as the Pelican I was amazed at the size plus using one all the time I never had a bulb go out on me in over 2 years then I saw UK had an eLed version and got one of them and although it wasn't as bright and nice of a bean (magnified moon beam) the runtime went from 2 hours to 15 or more hours it was my favorite pocket light bouncing around with keys and change it just worked. In 2010 I bit the bullet and put out a whopping $50 on a Fenix LD01SS AAA light and have been using it in my pocket since. I do also in the other pocked have a UK2AAA but instead of an LED module I picked up a Rayovac LED light that was direct drive using AG13 batteries and swapped the LED around (polarity) and put the LED module in the UK2AAA which has 2xL92 Energizer lithiums direct drive. The light is bright enough but mainly I use it as a backup to store batteries for my LD01SS light. I've had the L92s in it about 8 years now same set probably 5 minutes running the direct drive LED.
I've looked at times at the propolymer lights as I like the feel of the plastic in my hand but sadly none of them peaked my interest now that I've gone to 18650s for my main lights and headlamps with AA for cheap toss in a bag lights and AAA for pocketing the propolymer lights are too expensive, mediocre performance with unimpressive high modes due to the plastic doesn't allow good heatsinking like metal does.
I also have a 2AA Energizer Industrial type swivel head light with I think a Luxeon Rebel and 2 red 5mm and 1 green 5mm LED. I swapped out the green for a white 5mm on the light it isn't a bad light but like too many LED lights the modes on the main LED are way too close together and I couldn't figure out how to mod it to change the output. The light is rather large and clunky for 2AA.
I also have a Rayovac swivel head light that I swapped out the bulb in it with a Dorcy PR base LED module. It has a nice yellowish ball of light now but I also rarely use it to do its size vs a small Chinese 18650 light.
As much as I love plastic lights.... I rarely use them now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Growing up in highly industrialized South Louisiana as a child, there were plenty of Industrial and Contractor grade flashlights available.

My family didn't subscribe to Internet until the Summer of 2000, when I was 13.5, so I had a very limited knowledge of what flashlights were exactly available.

Hell, I didn't get my first microwave until 2000, much-less interweb...which was around 2005 or 6. What day or month? Got me.
I used to remember stuff like that but purged my memory banks to create storage for hobbies and work. Then in my 40's some of my memory cells began to retire early.

What year and all that I do not know, but as best as memory serves my first pocket light was a buck 99 2xAA disposable number where the cells were side by side. It was probably red, but that may have been my brothers and mine may have been blue or green. It probably came from either a Nichols store or a Radio Shack but may have been acquired at a Roses store. What I do remember was finding it in a drawer several years later and it still worked. At least until the day I decided to operate on it. That was it for that light. Back then I did not have the patience to ease into a situation and instead was like a bull in a china shop when it came to diagnosing things.

After joining CPF I acquired a more modern version from member GarageBoy who had purchased a custom LED pill and replaced the light bulb in it. The slider switch on that one actually locked unlike the one I had as a kid.

Last edited: