My new gritty Rotary...

Beard Man

Enlightened
I also felt some roughness on my HDS Rotary.
I thought it was a problem with the Rotary contacts, but it turned out to be a small protrusion on the rotary cap that sometimes touches the case/body when rotating and left a scratch on the body in this place.
I used very fine sandpaper to round this protrusion from the inside, now everything is fine and smooth.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Loss of quality inn the rotary is really starting to **** me off at that price point.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "loss of quality". In my opinion, this is a cosmetic issue, like a speck of dust on the reflector. If it doesn't affect the utility or ruggedness of the flashlight then I don't think it's worth complaining about. Remember, these are flashlights that Henry builds for his own use as a spelunker where your life literally depends on the quality of the flashlight in your hand, and I would bet you good money that he has no problem with taking a "gritty" Rotary into a cave with him.

JKolmo

Enlightened
All gritty dial Rotaries I have had did develop the dreaded sporadic/intermittent flicker/flash disease after some use. Unfortunately not too uncommon during a period of the production (between the old butter smooth version and the latest version). The latest updated iteration Rotary (including the current SS tails) is IME a lot more reliable in this department.

Last edited: