My Quick NiteCore D10-EX10 Review

gunga

Flashaholic
Why is the next best thing Eneloops?
Personally I find their performance rather poor.
Just because a battery comes charged and holds a charge for a while longer than a "stock" NimH cell doesn't make it better IMHO.
A good Sanyo 2700 mAh AA Nimh cell is a better battery IMHO. It's capacity is much higher. ... While they are a great marketing package I have yet to find any advantage to Eneloops...Yet.
I have an open mind about it though.
In my use of AA Nimh cells I always get better (MUCH) with my 2700 mAh
Yaesumofo

Wow, somehow you missed the dozens of threads and 1000+ posts on why eneloops are good and many high cpacity nimh suffer from very fast discharge (days/weeks in some cases).

While it is true if you use your lights with batteries right off the charger, the hi-cap ones are better, that's not quite the case if you store your lights for a bit or don't use and charge them frequently.

I'm quite surprised by this post given the abundant information on eneloop (as well as other LSD nimh battery) benefits.

:thinking:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Why is the next best thing Eneloops?
Personally I find their performance rather poor.
Just because a battery comes charged and holds a charge for a while longer than a "stock" NimH cell doesn't make it better IMHO.
A good Sanyo 2700 mAh AA Nimh cell is a better battery IMHO. It's capacity is much higher. The rated number of C/D cycles is greater for a stock NiMh cell than an eneloop.
While they are a great marketing package I have yet to find any advantage to Eneloops...Yet.
I have an open mind about it though.
In my use of AA Nimh cells I always get better (MUCH) with my 2700 mAh sanyo cells.

I suspect there are better batteries than the Sanyo's but I don't own them.
Yaesumofo

More capacity than your 2700 after 2-4 weeks
Less voltage sag (lower internal resistance) = brighter light
Can withstand higher discharge rates
More C/D cycles in reality than most brands
More robust - tolerates abuse better
Easier logistics with fewer maintainence charges.

Imothep

Newly Enlightened
You could be waiting a while, mine has been man-handled as well... :mad: It is not enough to change my opinion however, it's still a great light. :thumbsup:

Received mine in Brisbane, Australia this afternoon. That's fast. :naughty:

Received the second one today, no fingerprints, problem solved. :cool:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore D10 is advertised to be 130 lumens for 50 minutes, while the Fenix L1D-Q5 is advertised to be 120 lumens for 90 minutes. Is there something here I'm missing or is the L1D-Q5 a significantly more efficient flashlight?

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore D10 is advertised to be 130 lumens for 50 minutes, while the Fenix L1D-Q5 is advertised to be 120 lumens for 90 minutes. Is there something here I'm missing or is the L1D-Q5 a significantly more efficient flashlight?
That's why I'm sticking with my L1D Q5 for a helmet bike light. The longer runtime of the L1D Q5 on Turbo is just about right for my night riding needs.

itch808

Newly Enlightened

Is the L1D's rating on primaries or lithiums? The D10/EX10 is rated for 80mins @ 130 on Lithiums which would be pretty comparable.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Emitter vs OTF lumens

130 OTF lumens for 50 minutes vs ~ 85-90 OTF lumens for 90 minutes

AvroArrow

Enlightened
I look at this light a bit different. It is a 3 stage light, with only a single medium stage being adjustable. The other 2 stages are fixed, Max Hi; and Min LOW. The big disappointment for me is that you lose the memory of the adjustable setting when you access the fixed settings. Whether you want it or not, the last fixed setting accessed replaces the adjustable setting in the memory. For the user who wants his light to quickly come on in Max or minimum every time, this would seem to be a quick and convenient way of setting one of these fixed stages into the memory. For the user who wants to access his user defined setting most of the time, this is only convenient until he accesses one of other 2 stages. He then has to reset his adjustable stage.

^ I couldn't have said it any better myself. I initially thought that the middle programmable stage was saved to memory and that it would be something like a 3-stage HDS/Novatac with a fixed non-programmable max and min. When I found out that after you jumped to max or min from the "temporary" middle brightness setting that you had to reset the programmed mode again, every single time after you jump to high or low, I was sorely disappointed. This is also why I haven't bought a D10/EX10 yet, despite the glowing reviews and very reasonable price. I would have preferred a 3-stage fixed/non-programmable light to one that I'd have to reset the middle mode after going high or low.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
^ I couldn't have said it any better myself. I initially thought that the middle programmable stage was saved to memory and that it would be something like a 3-stage HDS/Novatac with a fixed non-programmable max and min. When I found out that after you jumped to max or min from the "temporary" middle brightness setting that you had to reset the programmed mode again, every single time after you jump to high or low, I was sorely disappointed. This is also why I haven't bought a D10/EX10 yet, despite the glowing reviews and very reasonable price. I would have preferred a 3-stage fixed/non-programmable light to one that I'd have to reset the middle mode after going high or low.
Although I would have preferred the operation as you describe, I'm happy with my D10 and if they come out with an updated version then I'll order the newer one and either relegate the one I have now to the car, present or sell it.

If you have other lights you're really happy with then it may be unnecessary to buy one of these, but I still think you'd like it just for the combination of quality/feel/brightness/extreme low beam and beautiful beam wash with perfect hot spot.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I would be happy to buy one from one of you dissatisfied users.
I think BabyDoc might be the only dissatisfied user, but he's still probably not going to let go of it just yet!

It's good to have these threads like this that lets everyone see the good/bad in a given product and choose for themselves. :D

mighty82

Enlightened
It's good to have these threads like this that lets everyone see the good/bad in a given product and choose for themselves. :D
+1 As long as people are allowed to tell about both good and bad experiences without being attacked for it ;)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look at this light a bit different. It is a 3 stage light, with only a single medium stage being adjustable. The other 2 stages are fixed, Max Hi; and Min LOW. The big disappointment for me is that you lose the memory of the adjustable setting when you access the fixed settings. Whether you want it or not, the last fixed setting accessed replaces the adjustable setting in the memory. For the user who wants his light to quickly come on in Max or minimum every time, this would seem to be a quick and convenient way of setting one of these fixed stages into the memory. For the user who wants to access his user defined setting most of the time, this is only convenient until he accesses one of other 2 stages. He then has to reset his adjustable stage.
+1 Exactly!

I'm afraid this impule buy didn't turn out the way I expected either. OK it's my fault I jumped in without enough research and careful reading. However maybe, like you said, if I think about the light differently and forget about trying to think of it as some derivative of the Novatac interface I might be able to adjust. There is much to like about the light, but I guess I better stick to my normal procedure of research first. It was fun, but the party did last too long.

I took a break to play with other new lights, and I'll come back to the D10 with less expectations and see if it might have a place in the rotation or task list. You would have thought I'd remember to be cautious of a product with "Smart" in it's name. At least it is AA which means I can ship it around the world and they'll be able to find a battery for it. Waiting for V2, the "Smarter" PD.

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
Just curious, is it correct that your runtime graphs are non-cooled as shown in their titles? The graphs seem more similar to those which are cooled as compared to the graphs on light-reviews.com

Also, how come you're graphs show a much steeper slope at the end of the battery life? Seems quite different with you're EX10 running for about 1hour 55 min while the graph on light-reviews.com only last till about 50 min with regulation. I realise you use SureFire batteries while the other uses Energizer, but more than double the runtime? :faint:

Looking at a comparable test, your D10 on Eneloop maintains regulation till about the 1 hours mark while light-reviews only managed 45 mins... 25% still quite a bit since Eneloops are quality cells and such variation in capacity is highly unlikely.

Last edited:

Mostly

Newly Enlightened
Interesting re: runtimes... if memory serves, though, this would not be the first time that light-reviews.com had a significantly shorter runtime than other reviewers of the same product.

This_is_nascar, thanks for the detailed review! I was all set to get an LRI Proton Pro after reading your quick review thread on it from a few months ago, and am still in awe over Proton Pro's runtime on low, but I think I'll get a D10 now instead--for only a few dollars more, a much higher high (if I'm reading your graphs right), more durable product, similar ramping interface, shorter body length, and a decently low low, though not with Proton Pro's amazingly long low runtime that I would want to use as a reading light. The ability to come on at levels other than high is a key improvement vs. the Pro too.

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
personally, I love my ex10. It's exactly what I expected, because I read all the reviews before buying, and I absolutely love the fit and finish. I liked it so much, I'm ordering a D10 and another ex10.

I also love the interface. I have no problem without the personal setting memory as the low and high are pretty much perfect for the different uses I will put it to. Also, anytime it 'malfunctions' I'm ableto easily attritube it to my inconsistency of use.

I have NO complaints.

Brett

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
...You would have thought I'd remember to be cautious of a product with "Smart" in it's name. At least it is AA which means I can ship it around the world and they'll be able to find a battery for it. Waiting for V2, the "Smarter" PD.[/B]
Well, techincally it IS a little "smarter" than the original PD :nana:

BTW, we have never claimed nor implied to replace or even resemble the
arc4/hds/novatac :p

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN, I appreciate all the time and effort it took to put the runtime graphs together.

They have been very helpful, thanks!

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, techincally it IS a little "smarter" than the original PD :nana:

BTW, we have never claimed nor implied to replace or even resemble the
arc4/hds/novatac :p

I would call it a LOT :p smarter :nana:

Orignal PD was simple 2 level no memory... no electronic switching and no variable brightness .... where as NiteCore PD is all that & More .... with a much lesser cost than original PD ......so a LOT smarter .... wanna debate on that :p :wave: